Rebuilding Aisin locking hub Locking hub rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2ndGenToyotaFan

Threads
Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
Here we go.... This is an IFS locking hub off my 89 4Runner. 86-95 will be the same. Solid axle 79-85 and many Cruiser hubs are the exact same design, only different sizes, but you probably could not tell from the pictures other than the different spline count.

Notes: I have no idea what these parts are called. Yes, that's about what my hand writing looks like. I assembled them dry so it would be clear how it all goes together, you should grease everything. I used a pair of snapring pliers, a few sizes of standard (flat) screwdrivers, and a small pair of needle nose pliers to do the rebuild. You will need 10 and 12mm sockets to remove the locking hub from the truck, and a small punch or screwdriver and a hammer are a help in removing the cone washers.

Pic 1. There are 17 parts (gasket not pictured) in the locking hub. Only the O ring and gasket are non-metal parts, and do not always need replacing. (I'm not replacing mine yet.)

Pic 2. Gear, washer, gear, and snap-ring. Second gear can be flipped over but I put mine back the same way (Look for wear marks that show even after much scrubbing)

Pic 3. Those 4 parts assembled
Hub 01.JPG
Hub 02.JPG
Hub 03.JPG

Last edited:
Pic 1. Hub body, gears and snap-ring

Pic 2. Assembled

Pic 3. Ready to go back on truck. Note the small split (4 sets) and larger (2) grooves, it's important later.
Hub 04.JPG
Hub 05.JPG
Hub 06.JPG

Last edited:
Here's where it gets tricky...

Pic 1. Spring and pressed bracket, note the bend in the spring against the raised tab and that there is one wrap of spring above each of the inner tabs. Enjoy the Mud salute!!!! :flipoff2:

Pic 2. Spring into gear. Note the notes in the pic! :D

Pic 3. Lock-ring, dial and face. Install spring, ball, and O-ring into dial.
Hub 07.JPG
Hub 08.JPG
Hub 09.JPG

Last edited:
Pic 1. When installing the dial into the face piece, hold dial so that the ball is facing up, and turn the face untill one of the 2 V grooves lines up, it goes in easy then.

Pic 2. Spring/gear assembly, spring, and dial/face assemble. Center spring goes in one way, one end fits tightly around the spring/gear assembly, the other end is larger and goes around the tabs sticking out of the back of the dial face.

Pic 3. Press together and twist to assemble. The tabs on the gear/spring go into the grooves of the dial. But you were watching when you took it apart right? :D
Hub 10.JPG
Hub 11.JPG
Hub 12.JPG

Last edited:
Pic 1. Turn the gear until it shortens up like this, then turn the dial to the "free" position, and it's ready to install onto the hub body. Note the tab pointed out goes into the "Large" groove pointed out earlier. That's all there is to it!

Pic 2. Just cause it's soooooo pretty now!!!

I hope this clears up some confusion, and will get some people out there to clean up their hubs! :cheers:
Hub 13.JPG
Hub 14.JPG

Last edited:
When I disassembled the Free Wheeling Hubs on my Hilux, one side didn't have a Spring that holds the Dog to the rear of the Selector. So when I reassembled 'em, I left out that Spring and have had to leave the Hubs Locked. I was going to go to the Junk Yard to get one, but I was surprised to find out that with a Lock Right in it, it makes no difference when in rear wheel drive. :idea:
attachment.php

Seeing it in picures and desctiption, will make it so much easier to understand. Cause somtimes its so hard to 'splain it by just typing it out. There was a thread from a while back, that this really will help out. You rock, Jerod!!

Oh, and this is the grease I use in my wheel bearings and hubs:

Moreys-Grease-Bigfoot-Cart.jpg

here is the link.

Here is what it says:
CATEGORICALLY THE BEST HIGH TEMPERATURE /MULTI-PURPOSE/ TACKY-ADHESIVE EP GREASE FOR HEAVY DUTY, SEVERE SERVICE APPLICATIONS.

Product Description:
BIGFOOT GREASE is a superior Lithium Complex Grease to provide excellent lubricating qualities over a wide range of temperatures. Designed for work under the toughest conditions in operating temperatures from 40° F to +450° F (4° C to +232° C), with excellent mechanical and chemical stability. BIGFOOT is the grease designed to always ''stay in place'' under the worst operating conditions of water-dirt-mud, providing maximum protection.

I use this grease, cause it is SUPER tacky, and stays in place better than any grease I have ever used. And as a bonus, it is damn near water proof.

If anyone cant find a place to buy this stuff, I can go to my parts house, and pick some up. And I will ship it to you. I think each tube is five or six bucks.
PM if interested. :D

Hey this really helped me out alot. Did this thread already exhist, or did you just post it today?
Turns out I had a spring not installed the right way and your pictures saved the day.
I noticed less vibration in the steering wheel now that my front axles are disengaged.
Best 100 dollar upgrade so far.

thanks

this all got started with a cv rebuild. Did all the front bearings and ball joints. Things like that. Afterwards I was thinking of a way to extend the life of the cv's because I dident really want to do it again.
Manual locking hubs were the answer, then I found a set in toledo for 100 bucks. In good shape, not bad for sitiing for 10 years.

Did 1994 4runner ever come with manual hubs? I know it has ADD. I believe that is automoatic disconnecting differential?

I took it for a nice long drive after I finished, steering wheel feels much smoother.

Would love to find a rust free 2nd gen 4runner with a blown engine, they are my favorite 4runner, but the 3rd gen has the engine.

want to say thanks again for the help.

-nate-

Another good source for CV problems is a solid axle swap :D

Someone turned my aisin hub half-way between locked and unlocked without me knowing it. I had noticed a vibration on the highway and after a few days I decided to check the manual hubs for correct position and noticed that the passenger side hub was neither locked or free. When I tried to turn the hub position to free it wouldn't go, however; it would turned to locking. I tried engaging 4wheel drive and backing up in reverse, and then dissengaging 4wheel drive and the hubs, but that passenger hub still would not unlock. I have read that to take the hubs off for a rebuild that you must turn them to the free position. How can I take the hub off if I can't turn it to the free position?

It doesn't mater what position they are in to take off. If they are in the locked position when you try to install, then the spring tries to pop it out while you work... Either way will work, but the free position is a bit easier. Good luck with the repair. My guess is that it was far enough in that it was locked, and the vibration had to do with that...

Last edited:
This is what happens when you don't maintain your hubs.... No, I was not responsible for this! :D Those 2 parts are supposed to be one part.... (See 2nd pic in first post in this thread for what it should look like)

Whoah! Was there ANY grease in there?

Any closer pics of the failed metal?

Dan

2ndgentoyotafan,thanks for a good write up.i have never done hubs before and with what you have here i walked right though it and now my 4x4 works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom