Builds 1965 FJ45lv build up/resto thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

springs painted yet?

Yep, didn't you see them in the 3300 mile thread? Sanded down and epoxy primed / painted up.

Just waiting for you............;)

Actually, I'm sure I'm capable of installing them myself....just figured you needed something to do...

Matt

Yep, didn't you see them in the 3300 mile thread? Sanded down and epoxy primed / painted up.

Just waiting for you............;)

Actually, I'm sure I'm capable of installing them myself....just figured you needed something to do...

Matt

I saw that there were painted leafs in that thread...just figured that they were the originals from the PU.....

You posted something about deer hunting....is that this weekend or next?

I will call you this week bud.

:beer:

I saw that there were painted leafs in that thread...just figured that they were the originals from the PU.....

You posted something about deer hunting....is that this weekend or next?

I will call you this week bud.

Opening weekend this Saturday.....yes, I will be gone :)

Matt

Wagon looks like crap.... no mudflaps:confused:

parabolics

I would send them back and ask for a refund. may never get it, but hey it's worth a try. if they suck, all you can do is use them for boat anchors. M

I know, I can't stand to see it dirty either.....but, that's what happens when you live on a gravel road and drive it :D

No real issues yet to speak of, although we haven't put 1000's of miles on it yet :) I still have some stuff I need to do, all little stuff but, it will take some time to do all those little things.

Hoping Poser get's his ass up here one day and we can install those rear OME springs. :flipoff2: The parabolics are going to be inverted here pretty soon.....they must have made them out of mild steel or something , I've got to admitt...they are junk :confused:

Matt

Original Quote:

No one is blasting the body except me. And yes, I am worried about warping body panels that's why I am doing it myself. I won't be hitting the roof or the rear quarter panels with my blaster. The roof might get the blaster around the drip edge on the cap, but that's it. The roof and rear quarters will be done with my zip wheel. Floors (inside and out), firewall (inside and out), door jams and around the windows get sandblasted, that's it. I actually shouldn't say, "that's it", it's actually 85% of it? My personal equipment consists of a Diesel ingersol rand compressor with a 120 lb gravity feed blaster. The ingersoll is capable of 175 psi without even coming off idle. Lots of pressure and sand so I want to do it myself so it's done right!!

I won't be warping any metal

Matt

Matt, Having finished now, would you still be worried about the warpage issues on the large panels? I thought that what warped the panels was heat build up? When I blast and then touch the surface it is very cool, no heat what so ever? I am using Starblast mfg. by Dupont vs Silica Sand, could that be the difference? The Starblast leaves a very nice and smooth finish as compared to the other medias I have tested and takes the paint and rust off really fast. Would you mind giving some of you opinions about this please. Thanks

Original Quote:

No one is blasting the body except me. And yes, I am worried about warping body panels that's why I am doing it myself. I won't be hitting the roof or the rear quarter panels with my blaster. The roof might get the blaster around the drip edge on the cap, but that's it. The roof and rear quarters will be done with my zip wheel. Floors (inside and out), firewall (inside and out), door jams and around the windows get sandblasted, that's it. I actually shouldn't say, "that's it", it's actually 85% of it? My personal equipment consists of a Diesel ingersol rand compressor with a 120 lb gravity feed blaster. The ingersoll is capable of 175 psi without even coming off idle. Lots of pressure and sand so I want to do it myself so it's done right!!

I won't be warping any metal

Matt

Matt, Having finished now, would you still be worried about the warpage issues on the large panels? I thought that what warped the panels was heat build up? When I blast and then touch the surface it is very cool, no heat what so ever? I am using Starblast mfg. by Dupont vs Silica Sand, could that be the difference? The Starblast leaves a very nice and smooth finish as compared to the other medias I have tested and takes the paint and rust off really fast. Would you mind giving some of you opinions about this please. Thanks

Mark,

If this is your first time blasting or your not to sure, I would stay away from the large panels. Ok to get around the edges, but you can wreck sheet metal so fast with a sand blaster. The better you get at, the more you will start to realize what you can do and not do with the blaster.

You can sandblast sheet metal, but you really need to know what your doing. If I were you, I would strip the big areas and then hit them 80 grit and the DA.

Matt

TTT

Your 2 build threads should have a sticky so they would always be at the top of the page. They are nothing short of amazing!

Drum

Seeing the "before" certiainly puts a different perspective on the "after", doesn't it?

Matt, We are about to cut off the old rear sway bar tabs and weld them to the 78 axle. I remember you saying what a bitch it was to get them off. Any pointers before we go at it? What tool worked best at cutting the old welds and leaving as much of the tabs remaining as possible?

Matt, We are about to cut off the old rear sway bar tabs and weld them to the 78 axle. I remember you saying what a bitch it was to get them off. Any pointers before we go at it? What tool worked best at cutting the old welds and leaving as much of the tabs remaining as possible?

I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a 1/16" cut off wheel on it, at least I think that is what I used? That is a common tool I used for hacking anything off.

I don't think there is much I can tell you, just cut wide of the welds...should be fairly straight forward.

Matt

Wow!Great thread.

Pretty damn good work for a self proclaimed "goober".:D
I'll definitely be checking out your other build threads.

I read that miletwo is putting together a CD of the build.I want one.

This wannabe goober says thanks for the great information and inspiration.

:cheers:

TTT

Your 2 build threads should have a sticky so they would always be at the top of the page. They are nothing short of amazing!

Drum

That is a damn good idea, especially since many out here use them as reference material.

yeah!!! its about time these 2 threads became stickies.

I guess I'm kinda honored that I get to have a sticky in the 45 section. :)

Hopefully these threads are able to help others as much as mud has helped me over the years.

Thanks, Matt :beer: :beer: :beer:

What size tires/lift are they

Matt - the LV looks great - I have one I'd like to make similar to yours

(and I've learned a lot about SEM sauce and welding from your posts)

I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread again - what lift/tire size combo are you running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom