ARB flat washers galore? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ARB install question

My ARB came today but I didnt have a chance to put it on yet.:frown: I went over the install directions and put the washers and "springs" with the bolts getting ready for the install. There are four m10x30mm bolts and 11 flat washers that wont fit anything but the 10mm diameter bolts.

Besides the four flat washers that go with the m10x30mm bolts and "springs" where do all these washers go. I have 7 that i dont have a clue where to put.

Thanks

ERG80

My very good condition front bumper is now for sale. if anyone is looking pm me.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly all of the washers fit the M10 bolts, 4 long (through the frame (8 washers) and 4 short (4 more washers) which utilize the old bumper mount pre-threaded/bolt holes.

Everything should go together like butter. No drilling required. To save time, just go to the store and purchase some that fit, you may have received the wrong bag-o-bolts from the factory. Sometimes it's easier than waiting.

The bolts and nuts are the most important, make sure you have the correct grade. If you don't have 4 long and 4 short bolts with 4 nuts, and 8 lock washers. Call the dealer and get the correct ones, or inquire what grade to purchase.

If I remember correctly all of the washers fit the M10 bolts, 4 long (through the frame (8 washers) and 4 short (4 more washers) which utilize the old bumper mount pre-threaded/bolt holes.

Everything should go together like butter. No drilling required. To save time, just go to the store and purchase some that fit, you may have received the wrong bag-o-bolts from the factory. Sometimes it's easier than waiting.

The bolts and nuts are the most important, make sure you have the correct grade. If you don't have 4 long and 4 short bolts with 4 nuts, and 8 lock washers. Call the dealer and get the correct ones, or inquire what grade to purchase.

This is all the hardware that came with it. ON the parts bag it says part # 6171055. F/kit for 3411050 HJ80 wide bar w/bar.

The part # 3411050 is the fzj80 bar part # from ARB's site and the bumper fits correctly.
arbhardware.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting. What are those two brackets on the far left for that have two bolts each through them?

I bought my ARB used and it didn't come w/ any hardware.

They are used for the factory tow points, some kind of spacer.

I just installed my ARB on my '97 LX450...

I must say that the ARB directions leave a LOT to be desired for someone that is installing one for the first time...A few pictures would be nice...Then again, I was comparing ARB's instructions to the near idiot-proof instructions that Slee puts together for their stuff :)

IIRC I too had some washers left over and wondered about them but the ARB hasn't fallen off yet so I must be ok :hillbilly:

In case you're wondering (not that you asked but...):

Left pic, left to right:
License plate attachment doo-hickey that bolts to the top of the ARB to hold the plate for those that their state requires a front plate (I drilled new holes through my plate to get it to sit at the right height)
Control box mounting bracket for winches that have separate or remotely mountable control boxes (i.e. XD9000)
Spacers for the bottom. Sit between the ARB and factory tow hooks if you put those back on

Middle pic, left to right:
Bolts for the top and side ARB attachments to the frame rail...Instructions tell you which go where (length wise)
Roller fairlead bolts (vertical roller)

Right pic, left to right:
Couple extra NUTS (edited as I stated bolts first time)?
Little bolt/nut combos are for the front license plate bracket and the plate itself
Extra washers...A couple probably should go with the roller fairlead bolts if they fit (2 washers each) - your pic only shows one washer on those long bolts - if they don't fit you probably got too many of one size and not enough of the other

Here is my finished product with a XD9000 installed (which requires spacers between the bar and the winch so it will fit - can be seen in the second pic - gold colored spacers, 2 per side)

6.jpg
9.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics.

Is that what your harware kit looked like? It sounds like wfd175 had 4 longer bolts that went all the way through the frame.

ERG80

I just installed my ARB on my '97 LX450...

I must say that the ARB directions leave a LOT to be desired for someone that is installing one for the first time...A few pictures would be nice...Then again, I was comparing ARB's instructions to the near idiot-proof instructions that Slee puts together for their stuff :)

IIRC I too had some washers left over and wondered about them but the ARB hasn't fallen off yet so I must be ok :hillbilly:

In case you're wondering (not that you asked but...):

Left pic, left to right:
License plate attachment doo-hickey that bolts to the top of the ARB to hold the plate for those that their state requires a front plate (I drilled new holes through my plate to get it to sit at the right height)
Control box mounting bracket for winches that have separate or remotely mountable control boxes (i.e. XD9000)
Spacers for the bottom. Sit between the ARB and factory tow hooks if you put those back on

Middle pic, left to right:
Bolts for the top and side ARB attachments to the frame rail...Instructions tell you which go where (length wise)
Roller fairlead bolts (vertical roller)

Right pic, left to right:
Couple extra bolts?
Little bolt/nut combos are for the front license plate bracket and the plate itself
Extra washers...A couple probably should go with the roller fairlead bolts if they fit (2 washers each) - your pic only shows one washer on those long bolts - if they don't fit you probably got too many of one size and not enough of the other

Here is my finished product with a XD9000 installed (which requires spacers between the bar and the winch so it will fit - can be seen in the second pic - gold colored spacers, 2 per side)

Last edited:
I went out and glanced at it last night as I was reading your post. I could see that 2 of them go all of the way through. I didn't climb under to check for a total of 4. 2 long w/nuts may be correct. Sorry for any confusion.

The mounting holes in my frame are all threaded and there are captive nuts inside the frame for the verticle holes. The guy at ARB said if they are threaded there was probably not be a bolt in their kit that would go all the way through because it would require drilling out the threads. Maybe they have a new mounting kit?I'm corn-fused!!!

Thanks for the pics.

Is that what your harware kit looked like? It sounds like wfd175 had 4 longer bolts that went all the way through the frame.

ERG80

IIRC what you have is pretty much what I had...I don't recall any bolts that went all the way through the frame :confused:

Sad that I can't remember for sure as I just finished the installation a week or so ago...

As I recall there were 6 bolts total per side that attach the ARB to the frame rails from the top, side, and bottom (once you get off all the front bumper parts).
  • Two bolts per side that attach from the top of the ARB into captured nuts in the frame rail
  • Two bolts per side that attach from the side of the ARB into captured nuts in the frame rail
  • Two bolts per side that attach from the bottom of the ARB (where the spacers go and factory tow point is you reattach them) up into captured nuts in the frame rail
On the bottom you use the front two captured nut holes with the rear most one left open (some use the open ones to attach a bracket for rock lights). Once you get the ARB sitting in place the holes you are to use become obvious as they should all pretty much line up. Suggesting to just get all of them started before tightening any of them though. I had to push up on my ARB to get the bottom bolts in. If you are also attaching a Slee AC dryer skid plate as well then expect even more fun :D. Might be easier to attach the skid plate (i.e. drill the holes) while the ARB is off if you can ensure it will line up ok.

As for long bolts...I only had the two like you show in your picture. Per the ARB instructions those are used to attach the vertical fairlead rollers to the ARB (if you are using a roller fairlead which I am not). Once you drill holes into your roller fairlead using the lower holes in the ARB for alignment (i.e. DON'T drill the ARB to match up to the holes in your fairlead), then you would attach the fairlead and then the vertical rollers by dropping those long bolts (one per side) down through the "shelf" on the front of the ARB (the one below the license plate frame in my pic), through the roller, and out the bottom of the fairlead. Washer top and bottom and maybe even one between the roller and the fairlead? and attach the nut. Tighten but not too tight that the roller won't spin.

Clear as mud? ;p

Thanks wfd175, Arya Ebrahimi, and Corsair 23.

Thanks wfd175, Arya Ebrahimi, and Corsair 23.

I'm always happy to offer what little help I can to return the MUD favors :D

You owe us some pics though once you get it all finished :cheers:

Last edited:
WTF I just bought a arb and I didn't get that plate bracket in my harware bag! Now I'm jealous. What kind of splicing connectors are you going to use for your marker lights, I've been putting off doing mine.

I did have a problem with water filling up the marker lights. The gasket didn't seem to fit that great. I ended up drilling a hole in the bottom to let the water run out. I expected it to me a temp fix, but it's lasted for a couple of years now. I realize that this fix won't last forever, my next plan is to put an Led trailer marker light behind the lens. I wish they would improve the amber bumper lights. or have they?

I got the Bumper on. It was easy.
I still have washers all over the place though. LOL!

2 12mm bolts through the top of the frame.
2 10mm bolts on the outside frame.
2 12mm bolts on the bottom with the plates and tow points.

Wiring was a pain because I did the disco mod.
I pulled the side marker out. There was one screw on the top and then it popped right out. then I pulled the bottom indicator light out. switched the wiring harnesses between the two.

To connect the wires for the bumper i just cut the green ones needed and then used a butt splice with shrink wrap around it. I made sure the connection were strong. Then connect the blue bumper wire to the green wire going into the corner light. Connect the brown bumper wire to the green wire going into the blinker light.
for this mod you need a #67 bulb in the bumper lights from what everyone said. It is a lot smaller so hopefully it wont melt anything.

The weatherstrip for the bumper lights was pissing me off cause I couldnt figure it out either. I ended up folding it and went right in nice and tight with a good seal. I hope....

Here is a picture showing the butt splice and how I folded the Rubber weatherstrip in the bumper light housing.

Last edited:
CONGRATS!! You are way faster than me :D

Wiring was a pain because I did the disco mod.
I pulled the side marker out. There was one screw on the top and then it popped right out. then I pulled the bottom indicator light out. switched the wiring harnesses between the two.

To connect the wires for the bumper i just cut the green ones needed and then used a butt splice with shrink wrap around it. I made sure the connection were strong. Then connect the blue bumper wire to the green wire going into the corner light. Connect the brown bumper wire to the green wire going into the blinker light.
for this mod you need a #67 bulb in the bumper lights from what everyone said. It is a lot smaller so hopefully it wont melt anything.

x2 except I just used the ARB supplied splice connectors...I like the disco effect, not that you can see it while driving :cool:. Next up will be the CDan mod to make the corner lights blink.

The weatherstrip for the bumper lights was pissing me off cause I couldnt figure it out either. I ended up folding it and went right in nice and tight with a good seal. I hope....
Hmmm...I didn't think of trying to fold it...I cut mine to the proper length (using oppositie 45 degree angles) soit fit in the channel and then just "smooshed" it down via compression. Haven't noticed any water in the lights yet but that would probably be more of an issue on water crossings I suppose.

Im pretty sure what I did was Cdan's mod to make the corner lights blink. It is easy.

Im pretty sure what I did was Cdan's mod to make the corner lights blink. It is easy.

Cool. So your ARB lights blink, your turn signals (just above the ARB lights) blink, and your corner parking lights (next to the headlights) blink?

The mods I've seen to make the corner parking lights blink is to either install a second bulb like what Slee shows on their site (see here), do what CDan and Raventai did and swap out the existing socket with a different style (1157 I think?) from a vehicle that has a combo light/blinker, or do the splice deal (here).

Sounds like maybe you did the latter? Any issues with needing a heavier duty flasher unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom