Hard start last few mornings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The last few mornings when I've gone to start the truck it hasn't fired right off like usual. It seems to crank harder/slower, catches & runs for a second and then dies. I've had to give it some throttle and 2 or 3 tries - which I never had to do before. Once it starts, it's fine. And fine for the rest of the day, even after sitting for hours. Idles at 1500-2000 once started.

Battery is about 2 years old. Oil & coolant look fine (ie. no sludge, etc.). Haven't changed the fuel filter since I've had it (50K miles). It hasn't been exceptionally cold lately - mid 20s to mid 30s maybe. Started fine when far colder a few months ago.

Any ideas where to start?

Do any work on it lately? Anything at all.

DougM

Do any work on it lately? Anything at all.

DougM

Not really.
Oil change early Feb., HIR headlights & LED domes in Jan., new head-unit in Jan.

Has it been humid at night in your area recently? Excessive moisture (that burns off after the sun is up) tends to make any electrical issue more obivious. If it's wet outside, start by checking the condition of your spark-plug wires.

Has it been humid at night in your area recently? Excessive moisture (that burns off after the sun is up) tends to make any electrical issue more obivious. If it's wet outside, start by checking the condition of your spark-plug wires.

Interesting theory - relative humidity was high. Started fine today - but was later in the day and warmer. Thanks

Well, it's wet as hell here tonight, so I'll have a good data point on this theory in the morning.

You might check your cold start injector. This is located on the driver's side upper part of the plenum has a fuel line coming to it form the back. You can remove it with (2) 10mm screws and a 12mm for the fuel. I hook the fuel line back to it and insert it in to a beer bottle and then try to start it (*with a cold engine*). If its working you will get gas in the bottle.

Did you ever find the cause for this? Mine is doing it.

Oh. Bummer.

So your symptoms are just the same as the OP's? Hard/slow cranking (like a poor battery) *and* continued problems once it does start?

Curtis
Like the OP, it goes away once the truck has run. Once it's idled for a few minutes it will restart right up and the idle is great.

Mine pretty much disapeared, with the exception of a few instances in wet weather, which convinced me it needed an overhaul of the ignition wiring. New plugs/wires/cap/rotor and all is well. Though it really wasn't consistent enough - even on wet days - to conclude that this really was the cause.

The last few mornings when I've gone to start the truck it hasn't fired right off like usual. It seems to crank harder/slower, catches & runs for a second and then dies. I've had to give it some throttle and 2 or 3 tries - which I never had to do before. Once it starts, it's fine. And fine for the rest of the day, even after sitting for hours. Idles at 1500-2000 once started.

Battery is about 2 years old. Oil & coolant look fine (ie. no sludge, etc.). Haven't changed the fuel filter since I've had it (50K miles). It hasn't been exceptionally cold lately - mid 20s to mid 30s maybe. Started fine when far colder a few months ago.

Any ideas where to start?

Minus the slow cranking I had a similar problem. Ever since I bought mine it has idled at 18-1900 RPM's after starting and a few times when it was cold it wouldn't start at all until it warmed up outside--then started and ran fine. I got tired of the high idle so I decided to remove and clean the idle air control valve on the TB. In doing so I stripped the bottom screw out and ended up having to pull the entire tb off to get some vice grips on the stripped screw.

I replaced the tb to intake gasket, o ring behind the IAC valve and gave the tb a good cleaning. I discovered that one of the 3 small vacuum ports on top of the tb was completely clogged. Not sure if all of this was necessary but after cleaning the IAC valve and TB, when I start my vehicle up it idles about 11-1200 rpms until warmed up then idles fine. Did this about a week ago and have not had any problems since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom