Upgrading all 4 brakes!/bigger front,disc rear. Need Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.destechservices.com
Hey guys... Just bought the rear disc brake brackets for my 1985 fj60. I should be getting it in next week. I will start visiting the junkyards for the rest of the parts.:D I am also going to upgrade the front. Read the tread on upgrading to 4runner discs/calipers with a t100 master cylinder. But I am also going to convert the rear! Is the T100 master cylinder enough? Or is there a better one for all wheel disc brakes? Guys I need to order all the parts... I would like to start on it next week...

need your help.

Oh and what do I do about the hand brake? I saw one that mounts on the transfer case (I think). If so...would the same system work when I do a 5 speed conversion? (I plan to do it by the end of summer). Or do they make calipers (for the rear disc mod) that I can tie my hand brake cable to?

thanks.
:cheers:

The t-100 master should be perfect for the disk rear, its probably better for the disks than a rear drum setup.

What kind of calipers are you gonna use for the rear?

search for eldorado calipers. Several people have done it a few were having difficulties with the eldo e-brake, Spook50 comes to mind.

I was thinking about forgetting the hand brake altogether and going with a line lock but was worried about either wiring an electric one to work correctly or running lines into the cab.

Either that or doing a driveshaft or pinion brake.

If you need calipers for the rear, I have a pair. PM to discuss if you want. I'm not so far from Los Angeles, I'm in Claremont.

Don

I do not know a single person that thinks the Eldorado pbrake works worth a crap.

It is good for tech inspection but that is about it..

Hey guys.....

1st... I will definitely grab a t100 master over the week end...

2nd... I will be using these to convert the rear...It comes with instructions to use mid 80's gm calipers and chevy truck rotors... Soo..... I will have to try that first. Looks like its worked enought to the point of making a bracket for them.

3rd.... well I will have to worry about the hand brake soon after.... I will be limited to level grade parking in gear. LOL.

AGENT ORANGE!!!! Hey... what are the other parts??? I read your write up... but since I'm a newb..... I'm clueless.:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes: What else do I need ..you know that 20$ part? mm... well you wrote:

"(not sure how the brakes differ on a 60) youre gonna need to budget for an inline residual valve to keep pressure on the rear brakes to counteract the return springs. Without a residual valve, itll take a couple pumps to get the drums working. I got a 10 lb wilwood valve from summit for 20 bucks. Youll need a pair of 1/8 inch NPT male to 3/16 compression/flare fittings to mate the valve up to the brake lines on the truck."

sorry dude but you lost me. I need the parts....w,w,w,w,w?

where do those go?:confused: go a pic with an arrow or something:doh:

I will have my friend help me...(hes good but not a modder) Man I feel like a real NOOB! right about now.

Pls. help.:cheers:

You wont need the residual valves with the disks, they are only needed with the drum rears. You might want to plumb a proportioning valve in so you can adjust when the rears lock up.

Im using four runner IFS four piston calipers and vented rotors up front, and 1985 truck rotors and calipers in the rear. Im also using an FZJ80 master cylinder. The truck stops on a dime....

Im using four runner IFS four piston calipers and vented rotors up front, and 1985 truck rotors and calipers in the rear. Im also using an FZJ80 master cylinder. The truck stops on a dime....

How did you install the rotors and calipers in the rear? Do you have a SF or FF rear?

sorry Orange but ???"plumb a proportioning valve"???

Dude... I do my own tune ups...and even change my gear oil's... but man....thats it.

With the disk rears you have the possibility of locking up the rear brakes before the front, which is a bad thing. You can put a valve inline between the rear output of the MC and the rear disks, so that you can dial in the amount of pressure the rears get to keep the braking force balanced appropriately between front and back. You'll need a flare tool so you can flare the brake lines so you can get a good, safe connection. You may have to do some work on the lines in the rear to get them set up right so it would be a good tool to have. You may be able to rent a set from a autoparts store.

-Matt

With the disk rears you have the possibility of locking up the rear brakes before the front, which is a bad thing. You can put a valve inline between the rear output of the MC and the rear disks, so that you can dial in the amount of pressure the rears get to keep the braking force balanced appropriately between front and back. You'll need a flare tool so you can flare the brake lines so you can get a good, safe connection. You may have to do some work on the lines in the rear to get them set up right so it would be a good tool to have. You may be able to rent a set from a autoparts store.

-Matt

Like he said.:grinpimp:
Its actually really simple once you know how a proportioning valve works.
Like he said.

I have ordered stock rotors up front, but the 4runners around here seem have different calipers.
Does anyone have a part number on that, and the master either for a runner or 80.
What about hilux it's calipers, should same as a runner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom