JDM HJZ 77 known weakspots? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do these vehicles have any particular weakspots mechanically that I should check for? Thanks

they are about as tough a truck as you will find.
the HZ is a bit gutless
the 5 speed is a bit better but still S L O W...
the smaller front diff can cause problems but very seldom...

i like them, if you are going to turbo then get the BEB changed out as well

they are about as tough a truck as you will find.
the HZ is a bit gutless
the 5 speed is a bit better but still S L O W...
the smaller front diff can cause problems but very seldom...

i like them, if you are going to turbo then get the BEB changed out as well

I can't believe you would call it gutless, I prefer untapped power, so you add a turbo, and if you really want a burst you add propane injection. Gees Wayne, I guess I have to spell it out:D

Cheers,

Michael

i like that description "untapped power" so... ... politicly correct. i think i will use that one more often...

untapped power=long lasting reliability

The one thing that bugs me with all these diesel kits(ie bully dog, banks, etc) is they start working the engine at levels it was not designed for. Yes they can handle it......but maybe not give the many hundreds of thousands miles the engine was designed for.....

i think the problem is, if i may answer this one B.B and the rest of us that dont have millions lying around hmmmm. 0-60 times at 14 seconds with the longetivity 500000-plus or 0-60 at 9 seconds at 280000 minus ha ha
just pulling you throttle cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aaron

Prado that is what I was getting at thanks...

Crushers........... way to quote me out of context :flipoff2:

:lol: :lol:

to Turbo or not to Turbo (is that the question?)

Reading between the lines then . . . .

1HZ - non-turbo - good for @4-500,000 k
1HZ - Turbo - good for 250 - 350,000 k

That would make some sense, especially with all the hills of BC to go up and down.

But for many people the extra power is worth the shorter life expectancy.

With my non-Turbo HZJ77 I find most hills are doable at @100k/hr in 3rd (auto tranny) at 3000 rpm's. That's just fine.

It's those killer 8%+ grades that kick it down to 80 k/hr in 2nd at 3500 rpm. That's probably ok for shorter periods of time.

Reading between the lines then . . . .

1HZ - non-turbo - good for @4-500,000 k
1HZ - Turbo - good for 250 - 350,000 k

I was not trying to say a turbo would reduce the life. Infact if the boost levels are low and conservative it might lengthen the life by helping the engine breath better and get lower EGT's...

It the high boost, extra fueled... type of hotrodding that may not give well to engine longevity.

Lots of turbo'd diesels have reliable and proven track records of long life. But the engine boost is low. And fuel conservative.

the turbo is not the culprit, the right foot is...

the turbo might not last 500,000 though

I've got a PZJ77 and the 1PZ under the hood does just fine on the Coq. I needed 3rd to head up the steep part though, mileage is phenomenal overall.

funny, it LOOKS like a 9.5" diff under the front. . .

Stock leafs suck. rides like a shopping cart and i'm into my bumpstops in the city.

gonna put a mild lift in it soon.

the 1990 or newer has the small diff from the factory...
the turbo will make the Coqu a 4th gear option or even 5th...
cheers

The push button electric hubs can be a pain in the ass. The next HZJ 73 and 77's I buy will get a manual hub retrofit as soon as I get them.

Some hubs work fine, but some don't, I don't like thinking they could not work when I most need them.

Regards,

There are simple conversions around for electric hubs, where you leave the hubs as they are but lock them manually using an allan key. Saves the expense of changing to manual hubs (which for reliability are the best) I'm sold on Mr Toyotas engineering. They spend millions setting trucks up, leave them stock unless you really know what you are upto, or have access to a good mechanic. If you want a turbo, buy a truck with a factory turbo. Agree with the comments that low pressure turbos should last as long as the rest of the truck, and probably the life of the engine. And I know I am no mechanic so for me its leave them as Mr Toyota built them. For you guys who like grease on your hands, good on ya........ If and when I break something I hope you will lend me a hand!!

i must disagree with your assumsions.
Mr Toyota has messed up over the years. if you do a search you will come across a thread of poor design flaws in Toyotas...

i must disagree with your assumsions.
Mr Toyota has messed up over the years. if you do a search you will come across a thread of poor design flaws in Toyotas...

I second that! Toyota makes good vehicles but everyone has faults.

The Prado is one. My lack of corrosion prevention on my 60 series is another. GM in those years had much better bodies.

I'm not sold on Toyota engineering. I am sold on Toyota employees doing a good job........to ensure good honour. They way it should be.

toyota has had some flaws:
1 toyota's use of recycled steel, not cleening the slag off in the furnace
2 toyota's early 5 speeds up to 1984
3 toyota's two stage thermostat
4 toyota's non greasable oem tie-rod ends
5 the lack of nickel in some of their cylinder heads
and some 2lte drivers

as for weaknesses on a HJZ 77 it would be nice if the front end was as strong as the rear, the 8 incher is still a pretty strong unit and like all HZJ models you have to be crafty putting a winch on or else there is 2 feet of over hang but then what do i know i drive a prado and have a1980 fj40 still in a thousand pieces

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom