Any pics of how you lowered your........ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
......rear upper shock mount?

Now that I have the Slee 6" on I am enjoying a truck that is different from my POOPOOJ100. :D I actually like the Lexus' different ride type....lots of clearance, great angles, a sweet deal compared to my '93.

I am a tad bummed in losing some droop by going 6". While dropping off ledges an rocks (especially while turning) I lift that rear wheel more than usual.

Slee said to lower the upper shock mount by about 1.5" with longer bolts and some type of spacer (aluminum, ???, ???). I'd certainly appreciate input from already mod-ees. Thanks! J (I think I'll remove my rear sway too)

By the way....you'd be proud....I'm using this thing the way it should be. Until they have 6" lifts for the 100 I'll shuddddupppp about 80's! :D

142747623-L.jpg

142747658-L.jpg

Yep :flipoff2:
Rear Upper Shock Conversion.jpg

Oh, I seen that in the other thread (FJBens) but wasn't sure. Does he sell them?

To open the can of worms...

To not open the can of worms...

To open...

Ok, so you have a lot of extra shock up travel front and rear. Now you can drop the upper shock mount in the rear as well as covert both upper and lower mounts up front and run eye to eye shocks. I am thinking 12" travel with a balance of up and down travel. Now that you have further limited up travel and aren't trying to stuff those 35's down your rigs throat you can mount those 37's you really want :flipoff2:

MAF sells the shock adapters, so does FOR. But you'll be ditchin' them L shocks.

Slee says they are working on new shocks for the 6" lift - why not ask them what they think is working best with eye adapters so you get a shock that is well tuned to Slee's springs?

Last edited:
To open the can of worms...

To not open the can of worms...

To open...

Ok, so you have a lot of extra shock up travel front and rear. Now you can drop the upper shock mount in the rear as well as covert both upper and lower mounts up front and run eye to eye shocks. I am thinking 12" travel with a balance of up and down travel. Now that you have further limited up travel and aren't trying to stuff those 35's down your rigs throat you can mount those 37's you really want :flipoff2:

MAF sells the shock adapters, so does FOR. But you'll be ditchin' them L shocks.

Slee says they are working on new shocks for the 6" lift - why not ask them what they think is working best with eye adapaters?

I was asking in advance....my mechanic hasn't looked at them yet. I figured I could go to him with pre-lim info. Don't wanna ditch my L-shocks.

Last edited:
I was asking in advance....my mechanic hasn't looked at them yet. I figured I could go to him with pre-lim info. Don't wanna ditch my L-shocks.

I don't blame you - shocks aren't cheap.

Here is your best solution:

Raise the lower mount in the rear 2". That tucks your shock mounts up and reduces up-travel by 2" (increases down travel by 2"). Or adjust them to whatever point gives you equal up and down travel...I am assuming 2" is about right.

This is your best solution for two reasons:

1) You are improving clearance
2) You are building a relationship with a fabrication shop, which is absolutely priceless when tuning questions like this come up

You may not be running out of travel up front - if you are, there are shock pin mount extenders that will do the job. The front is unflexy enough I doubt you'd add enough leverage to hurt the shock. Shock mounts are very cheap work for a fab shop.

Nay, you are saying to raise the lower mount?

Shotts, truck looks awesome. Good to see you using it to it's potential. You need a few battle scars to help tell some good stories.

Yup Alex, sounds like a good idea too. I plan to try and get that done sometime soon before I go off to college and don't have anymore money to spend on this thing.

easy way is to install a spacer between the plate and frame on the brackets that Nay showed in his picture.

Nicer way if to raise the rear. Lots more work, but I agree it get's it out of the way.

Shotts, truck looks awesome. Good to see you using it to it's potential. You need a few battle scars to help tell some good stories.

Yes, raise the lower mount. It hangs way below the axle and there is plenty of material there to shorten it up.

Here is a pic of my old Currie HP 9" rear with shock mounts that were raised to near flush with the axle tube. Not a great shot of the mounts themselves, but notice no mounts hanging below the axle tube.

This is a great mod when you have added a lot of lift for clearance but aren't necessarily going nuts on shock travel, like to say a 14" travel shock. I don't think it is in your interest to add a ton of rear travel unless you are redesigning the front. An hour of shop time and a few bucks of material is all it should cost you. About the cost of one shock in total.

Christo, how much extra pin length do you have to simply lower the mount with a spacer - at some point the pin doesn' make it through the top of the mount, right? Up front you might be able to do 1" on the lower mount and 1" on the upper with spacers rather than a pin extender.
Currie High Pinion.jpg

Put the spacer between the plate and the frame, not on the shock pin. Then use longer 8mm bolts to attach the plate.

Of course :idea:

That would be pretty easy to do if you have good spacer material.

I measured and found the factory shocks have 3" of extra upward travel. This is not enough for a J or higher lift. On my 3" lift I simply bought 8-hardened bolts 3" longer than the stock bolts that mount the rear upper shock mount to the frame. I cut tubes 3" long and welded them to the shock plates. Then I bolted them back in.
This will only work with stock gas shocks up to a 3" lift. But with taller lifts it will work with longer shocks. With your upper stops extended, and the coils removed, jack the axle up as far as it will go. Place your upper shock mount about 1" above the shortest length of your chosen shock.

Thanks. I haven't got into things with it that my old 80 and 100 have done, YET.....but they are coming. I like this beast, it towers over my 100. It sure is a TOY. I look forward to mangling a flair, ripping them off, and then who knows....

OK....so it looks like my guy will be able to space the mount down and reattach using longer bolts and I can retain the L-shock. ???? Thanks! J

Thanks guys. My mechanic lowered these for me for $25.00. He had spacers and longer Grade 8 bolts. So, we're 1.5" down. I'll road test and should be happy (for awhile :D )

Thanks guys. My mechanic lowered these for me for $25.00. He had spacers and longer Grade 8 bolts. So, we're 1.5" down. I'll road test and should be happy (for awhile :D )
They don't make metric grade 8 bolts.

Moving shock mounts is a great, cheap mod. The LX is looking great John.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom