Need opinion on roof rack siding.... (1 Viewer)

Steel Mesh Side Panels?

• No Side Panels

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Weld on Side Panels

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Zip-Tie side panels for easy removal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Screw it all and use chicken wire

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had planned on doing a redwood flooring on my rack because the local steel supplier wanted way too much for expanded steel mesh :(

Lucky for me, a member of my car club works at another steel company and gave me a hookup on the steel mesh I had wanted and even cut it to size for me :grinpimp:

Even cut a pair for the sides :)

Thing is, I'm kinda torn on the side panels :doh:

Anyhoo, I'll be welding up the flooring tomorrow, but in the meantime, I zip-tied the side panels so I can give'em a whirl overnight and see how I like them :cool:

Here's what it looks like without them:

rhinodflares.JPG

rhinodflares2.JPG

rhinodflares3.JPG

rhinodflares5.JPG

And here they are zip-tied in place:

safariracksidetestfit.JPG

safariracksidetestfit2.JPG

safariracksidetestfit3.JPG

Note that the panels would be trimmed and painted black to match if I use them, so here are my choices:

1) No Siding

2) Weld On Siding

3) Paint Siding Black and Zip-Tie them in place for easy removal when needed

Added a Poll, so lets see where the votes go....

Of course, it's personal preference, but I like it with the mesh.

probably a lot easier to tie straps etc to the sides without the mesh.

probably a lot easier to tie straps etc to the sides without the mesh.

I'll second that and give a vote for no side mesh.
The stuff you'll haul on your rack will likely be large enough to make falling through the side rails unlikely, and needing secure tie-downs more likely.

Holy crap you have a lot of lights.

LOL

Runnings boards will stay until the wife says I can get a new set of sliders :cool:

dang, you caught me just before I erased that part and that was only like 30 secs.... wasn't sure that maybe those weren't a labor of love or something... now you tell me they really are! Your wife is lucky (or you are smart) :D

My vote is no mesh unless you plan to haul very small stuff up there. ;)

Last edited:
dang, you caught me just before I erased that part and that was only like 30 secs.... wasn't sure that maybe those weren't a labor of love or something... now you tell me they really are! Your wife is lucky (or you are smart) :D

Email Message Notification FTW ;)

My vote is no mesh unless you plan to haul very small stuff up there. :)

Don't really plan on putting anything small up there....

In the box you see will be tools, recovery equipment, main relay box, air solenoids and air compressor :cool:

On the other side will be a pair of airtanks and of course my train horns :grinpimp:

I figure the only loose things going up there will probably be my folding beach chairs....

The side panels would be strictly aesthetic if anything....

Skip the mesh and use it on the floor. It looks very cool without, makes it look like a piece of art. Makes me thing if the GW Bridge in Manhattan.

Dam, that's a lot of lights. Reminds me of the helicopter in the 80's sci-fi movie (name escapes me right now).

No mesh. That looks like a tall rack, how high are the sides? I like the tube design of the sides.

go for choice #3. You like the way they look so use them. When they get in the way cut the zip ties and take them off and when your ready tie them back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom