Newbie 1969 fj40-alabama (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just inherited the "sickness" from a friend whose wife made him move the FJ40 out of the yard. I have a building I can store it in and play on it. I did not realize the shape it was in when I first got it. Wow! It is a TLC that needs some TLC and a lot of money dumped into it.

It is a 1969 FJ40 with the 3.9L engine. I don't know much about FJ40's but I was told to do a V8 conversion with it. Right now the plans are to cut out the rust and do the time consuming labor on the body work and paint it myself. (I am currently sinking my $$ in a 1968 Jeepster Commando project) After my first project I will then look for the V8. It currently has a decent stance but I might replace the leaf springs and shocks. The 30x15 tires are dry-rotted so I want to go to 32s. I would like to do a disc brake conversion all the way around.

I am dreaming big but have learned with my other project that other people go thru the same experiences on their projects and a lot of knowledge and help can be found on forums.

My name is Justin. I am from Auburn, Alabama. 25 years old. I am a used car dealer with a lot a spare time after work because my wife is in vet school and always studying!

I have a few pics and will post progress later. Thanks for the help and advice, in advance!!! Justin
fj40before 015.jpg

Last edited:
Good Looking start.

War Eagle.

I will be bringing mine down on the Plains this fall.

P.S. --- Did the Mazda Dealer ever get of jail????

Where are the bib lights and I thought 68 was the last year for round front fender lights....???
I've got to say your at the right forum for starters

Welcome and Congrad's with you project, I've been hoping to find a 69 myself.

Keep us posted

yea I did not know much about cruisers I was a Jeep guy then transfered over to the light. you will find this site to be a gold mine. if you have any questions just search first then if you can't find it post up. also an Alabama guy.

The guy I got it from has another FJ40 and I think some things (lights and parts off engine) were "borrowed" to make his DD better!!! I assume it was 1969 (tag near drivers door says"NOV 1969")
I hope y'all Auburn locals don"t mind pointing me in the right direction to where to buy parts around here and the best way to do my upgrades/restoring.

Welcome!
I haven't read any posts yet.... but did that 40 come from Montgomery? Pike Road to be more specific?

Welcome... My son and daughter are Lee county folk.

That cruiser looks 68ish. Be sure to double check if the year of manufacture if replacing parts... or not if you want. Have fun.

Gooooooooooo War Eagles! I wear my UA stuff around here I get funny looks.

Welcome... good luck with the LC.

Gooooooooooo War Eagles! I wear my UA stuff around here I get funny looks.

You should get funny looks whenever you wear UA stuff around!

Go Tigers! and War Eagle! from Auburn University... the home of practical people.

You may actually have a 1970 model. My "July 1969" is registered as a 1970. Either way, GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!:cheers:

Welcome... good luck with the LC.

You should get funny looks whenever you wear UA stuff around!

Go Tigers! and War Eagle! from Auburn University... the home of practical people.

Oops!!!!! Holy moley!!!! Did I write UA instead of AU? I'll never be allowed to tailgate again.

my mistake, 1970 FJ40. The previous owner is a member of ih8mud. It is from Pike Road, AL.

I am in the process of deciding how I want the FJ to turn out. Engine needs lots of work, no carb, no exhaust (rusted off), needs brakes (may do the disc conversion), needs bumper, needs floorboards, needs sears reupholstered.
Right now waiting to finish Jeepster Commando, then decide on V8 conversion or stay with the 3.9L 6-cyl

PM me your phone number... I'd like to come by and meet you seeings how we live in the same town:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom