Installing OME(dakkar) springs - which shackles to use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im ordering OME springs for my 85 BJ 70.
What shackles are people using with these springs on the 70's? Id like to put something slightly longer (1"?).

Stock shackles are different length between front and rear so Im wondering if people are using same length (extended or not) between the front and rear with the new springs - or should I get new extended shackles with differing lengths front to rear?

Thanks
Chris

custom made shackles are easy, for 1" lift you need to extend them 2". you will need caster correction shims for the front axle...
the longer shackles also allow for more flex to the spring without the fear of spring wrap/kink...

custom made shackles are easy, for 1" lift you need to extend them 2". you will need caster correction shims for the front axle...
the longer shackles also allow for more flex to the spring without the fear of spring wrap/kink...

Thanks wayne,
Im wondering how long people are going with the OME on a 70 without a negative angle on the shackles. I have extended shackles on my 40 with OME and they are nearly vertical - and the shackles are not much over stock - 1 or 1.5".

ARB (OME) lists same length shackles for the front and rear, but my stock shackles are 3" front and 3.5" rear - not much difference really, but Im just wondering what other people are running front and rear and how long with no issues - not too many 70 owners around here... I dont have the springs yet.

They also list a heavy front spring. I have found a few posts where 70 owners with OME are claiming that the front sags fairly quickly after install. Is anyone running the heavy fronts??

Thanks
Chris

Hi All:

On a 40 Series OME recommends using stock-length shackles in the front, slightly longer (5/8ths of an inch) for the rear shackles.

I'd imagine thata BJ70 would be a similar situation.

regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom