ramsey winch question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a ramsey winch on my 69 fj40 that was on there when I bought it. It looks exactly like the pictures I have searched of the pto winch except that it is electric. Did the fj40 have an electric winch option in 69 or ever? Could a winch be modified from pto to electric? Just looking for info for when I get some replacement parts to get it going.

Thanks,

Brian

you probably have a gear reduction winch...no...electric was not an option till much later...and it was only the warn8274...dealer options varied from state to state

you can go right to ramsey for your parts....and there are many other copy winches that have interchangeable parts to the older ramseys

post a pic so we can see it :)

was the belleview 5284 before or after that? I am not sure it was a dealer option, but I have one in my shop floor that came off a later model 40.

This winch, perhaps? http://www.ramsey.com/winches/re8000.html

re8000.jpg

It comes in an 8000 or 12,000 lb rating. I'd like to eventually put one of these on my FJ40.

I think thats the one...

I will have to post a picture. That looks similar, although mine mirrors that, having the motor on the right side. Can just the motor be removed so I can clean it/fix it? That thing is sitting in the bumper so tight I can't budge the mounting bolts and can't get an impact to it. The solenoids all worked but I think the motor is locked up from sitting for so long without a cover because nothing happened.

Thanks for the replies and help.

Brian

they can be taken apart....any starter/alternantor remanufgacturing company can do it...but if it can't be fixed...

winch motors can be bought for $120 -$200

Pierce makes a gread heavy duty motor that uses high temperature components, ball bearings front and rear eliminate the possibility of motor wear problems, even during long run times.

I think its a possible direct replacement in the gear drive ramsey...you can call to ask them...they are very helpful: (800) 658-6301

This winch, perhaps? http://www.ramsey.com/winches/re8000.html

re8000.jpg

It comes in an 8000 or 12,000 lb rating. I'd like to eventually put one of these on my FJ40.

Holy Smokes! That's the mystery winch that came on my cruiser! I knew it was a ramsey, but I had no idea what model it was. The PO broke off the piece on the right that coveres the soleniods, along with the plug for the remote, so I haven't been able to play with it yet. Maybe I'll finally be able to fix it now:grinpimp: Can't wait to winch the neighbors car across the road ;)

Holy Smokes! That's the mystery winch that came on my cruiser! I knew it was a ramsey, but I had no idea what model it was. The PO broke off the piece on the right that coveres the soleniods, along with the plug for the remote, so I haven't been able to play with it yet. Maybe I'll finally be able to fix it now:grinpimp: Can't wait to winch the neighbors car across the road ;)

I have this winch (RE-8000) and just purchased the solenoid cover (472071, $9.42) from Ramsey. The remote female plug (430013, $28.92) is a molded plastic plug unlike the one on my older winch, which is chromed metal. If yours is like mine you will also need the plug cover (482029, $4.08) which seals the new connector much better. If you go to the Ramsey Store website Ramsey Store, you can plug the part numbers in and purchase them direct. The current parts list is RE-8000 Parts List. Here is the current Owners Manual.
RE8000 04.jpg
Bezel 01.jpg

was the belleview 5284 before or after that? I am not sure it was a dealer option, but I have one in my shop floor that came off a later model 40.

i dont know rabid, about the older belleview...all literature i have seen was always the newer warn...i'm not too shure if the ramsey was ever a dealer option either...but...i we have seen dealers do some odd things before :)

those ramseys don't have a free wheeling release?

i don't see any arms coming off the winch like my pierce

They do have a free wheeling release. It is on the drivers side end of the winch.
RE8000 02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom