m101 side rail height advice needed and some eye candy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
hey folks. in the middle of getting the trailer ready to rumble and need some comments. tailgate is in, spare mount is in. the question now is siderail height. I am going with 1.25" box side rails running full length and welding raingutters on them so I can mount a yakima rack and mount the tent to that (I don't want permanent crossrails). The issue is how high to go off above the bed. The yakima towers will add 6-7" in height so I am thinking the siderails should be about 18" above the top of the bed. What do folks think? I do not want to be top heavy but I would like as much room as I can for a possible lid underneath.

and here is the progress so far. Steve at EBI cruisers is doing the work and it is looking beefy! i have made a trade for a stock spare so I am going to stick with stock wheels and at most do an SOA or more likely a modest shackle extension.
trailer 1.jpg
trailer 2.jpg

...The issue is how high to go off above the bed. The yakima towers will add 6-7" in height so I am thinking the siderails should be about 18" above the top of the bed...

18" is a good start. The tub depth is approx 18" so, whatever can go under the rails will still sit flush with the top of the tub rails.

The work looks great!

Semlin, how about buying some bolt on Yakima/thule artificial rain gutters and bolting them to the square tubing lip of the box? Your box should handle the weight now that you reinforced the rear where you cut in the tailgate.

Semlin, how about buying some bolt on Yakima/thule artificial rain gutters and bolting them to the square tubing lip of the box? Your box should handle the weight now that you reinforced the rear where you cut in the tailgate.

the bolt on rain gutters are pricey and would limit me on where the rack could go. this way I'll have a continuous mount point for 5 1/2 feet.

i like the idea of being able to get into the box without lifting the tent and everything in it. Also, the siderails will be useful for hauling lumber and plywood because it is easier to tie stuff down so it won't move laterally. I can also slip a kayak or pram under the tent.

i am thinking 18" is good enough.

where exactly is he located? also if you dont mindme asking could you pm some of the prices for the work your having done?

thanks
mike

Looks good!

You may considering put steel mesh in the opening behind the wheel fender so you can step on it if needed to.

How will your tailgate be "locked"? I used solid tube inside the hollow tube on top of tubs as a sliding mechansim with spring load inside.

Cheers,

mesh is going in. I saw yours and stole the idea ;)

I am using two adjustable clamps at either end of the middle crossbar to hold the gate in place like on a fj45. I thought about throw bolts but I want to be able to seal the tailgate up air/watertight eventually once i add a lid. there will be a small lip on the inside of the vertical walls of the bed where it meets the tailgate. If and when I get a lid made I will put some weather seal on the lip and I will stick some weatherseal to the bottom of the gate then adjust the tension on the clamps to hopefully get a good seal.

damn, you've seen it before me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom