Somtimes the starter hesitates... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Sometimes the starter hesitates...

Lately, after my truck sits for a day or seven, it will hesitate when the key is first turned.

Meaning, it does nothing at all for about 1/2 second and then starts the engine just fine.

I know all about the problems with the starter contacts but this starter was replaced about 30k ago and I do not live in a salt-on-road area.

Any ideas on this? It does not stay in start position or make noise, it just hesitates before actually activating.

Kind of odd.

:confused:

Last edited:
Sounds like contacts. Around $20, or $40 if you do it right and do the plunger too.

Yeah, I saw the part about you having recently replaced the starter. I've just done 2 starters (in different trucks, thank God) with those symptoms. One of those two trucks (not mine) waited for a while to get fixed, and the starter began sticking. Amazingly enough, replacing the contacts fixed them both.

Did you buy a new Toyota starter or a rebuilt AutoZone starter?

-Spike

Sounds like contacts. Around $20, or $40 if you do it right and do the plunger too.

Yeah, I saw the part about you having recently replaced the starter. I've just done 2 starters (in different trucks, thank God) with those symptoms. One of those two trucks (not mine) waited for a while to get fixed, and the starter began sticking. Amazingly enough, replacing the contacts fixed them both.

Did you buy a new Toyota starter or a rebuilt AutoZone starter?

-Spike

It was a new or (reconditioned) Toyota starter from the dealer. The PO had it done and I have the receipt.
Maybe it was not done right.

Mine was like that for about a week, it happened in the morning (1st start of the day), and good for the rest of the day. I know the contacts are good, I replaced the battery. It is all good now.

Same symptoms. Just the first start of the day. However, my battery is an Optima deep cycle, only about 7 mos. old and it holds a charge very well. I can run the Engel on it for two days with stereo etc. before it even starts to run down.

Try cleaning all the cable ends, similar symptoms. Anything that inhibits power transfer can show up this way.

-Spike

My starter is showing all the symptoms the posts Ive read so far.
But when I inspected the starter thru the fender wells, underneath, and from the open hood, I dont see any label(s) Toyotal or what not. Does that indicate it was replaced with an aftermarket? I know we need the #s to order parts from CDan.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom