Looking to buy FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there folks. Looking to buy my dream vehicle, maybe have a lead on one that I might have missed. So will be reading the buying guide and what to look out for in FJ40s. I am based in Dubai, UAE the Middle East, I currently drive a Nissan Patrol, yes I know I am sure you think I am an anti-yota, but this vehicle is pretty good for our application here in the sandy desert.

Came across this example of the FJ40 maybe a FJ42, 4 weeks ago.

P3170044.jpg

P3170046.jpg

Any buying guide tips would be useful, the vehicle sold for USD 3425.00 with 62,500 miles on the clock. Not sure of the year, and the condition of the engine, gearbox, drivetrain as I could only view the body and chassis which as you can see are in good condition.

Regards

Vanhack

Welcome.

That truck is an 08/80 and later....

Hit the F A Q <---- (this is a link) for info on what to look for on purchasing a 40 series.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks Poser, how could you tell it is a August, 1980 rig?? :confused: I am impressed.

Can you tell whether it is a 4x4 or the 4x2 version, as there some built with only 2WD for Middle East and Australia?

:cheers:

I have the full world parts system and there are no 2WD listed for the middle east of Australia.

Dear Sir,
dont want to question your authority, but is the link here from the wikipedia false http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fj40 (scrolls to Models section and see FJ42) Also if you search these forums then there is talk on a 2WD version that was never imported into USA....I really hope you are right, and I am wrong, then this vehicle above would be my 'holy grail' :)

You guys in the UAE are so lucky to have access to such clean, rust free cruisers! ~jealous~ :D

Looks like a nice one, and it's definately 4 wheel drive. You can see the diff in the front axle in your first pic.

on a side note... how are those palm tree islands coming... I saw some documentary on discovery channel.. pretty damn awesome - modern marvel of the world if you ask me.

Thanks Poser, how could you tell it is a August, 1980 rig??

By the front shackle and spring hanger on the frame in picture two. In August of 1980 Toyota changed the design of the spring hangers on the frame, along with changing from a one-piece transfer case to a two-piece, or split transfer case design, a 19 spline output shaft in the four speed transmission and moved the rear engine mounts/supports from the flywheel housing to a cross member support and isolator assembly that mounts to the bottom of the transmission.

There are also non-USA 16” split rim wheels on that truck and vent wing windows in a thick, or 1975 and later front doors.

It also appears to have a power steering oil cooling line mounted below the front of the bib on the left side (as you are sitting in the truck).

Those OEM fog lamps are pretty cute.

Additionally, the bezel is upside down and the chrome insert in the windshield gasket is non usa weirdness...

Poser you know your FJs, wow! I am on the right website....now that I have some confirmation that this is a 4WD version, I shall persist. And yes this is very clean example. We have a lot of FJ 40 pickups here. The pickups are still used in strength by the fishermen, and you should see how they FJs are user by the fisherman, drive it into water and pull the nets out!!!! Very rusty.

The few SWB 2 doors like above are rare, and the one above is probably the best I have seen without any restoration. So everybody here cross a finger, and pray that the contact calls me to say that the new owner wants to sell for small premium.

Palm tree Island is finally coming to handover to the buyers...the islands are cool, pity about the buildings on them, they were built under tight schedules. Some people we know have complained about the finish on them.

Last edited:
You guys in the UAE are so lucky to have access to such clean, rust free cruisers! ~jealous~ :D

Looks like a nice one, and it's definately 4 wheel drive. You can see the diff in the front axle in your first pic.
x2 Your lucky!! And I like that your " dream" is to own a Land Cruiser {the patrol is no creampuff ! } Good luck with the purchase !!! [:flipoff2: --jealous] Oh, what kind of front suspension would the 2wd FJ have guys??

Sorry to bring this up again, but are you sure it is 4WD, because if you look at the front hubs in the pictures, they dont seem to have the manual lock, unless these LCs had auto-lock hubs? :confused:

Those are a drive flange....the front axle is always 'locked' to the wheel bearing hub....they can be removed and a lock out installed to isolate the front axle from turning all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom