Getting Dash off, 1994 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.nullterminal.org
Ive been searching around the forums and yet have not been able to find any guide on how to get the dash out for the 1994 Fzj80

Most the guides talk about the screws behind the useless cubby hole.

Anyone know where the screws are if you dont have the useless cubby hole thing?:confused:

2 above the Inst panel, 2 in the ashtray, IIRC 3 by your feet, I would suggest you go slowly, Mine had been torn into before, But you will need to remove the whole panel from the mirror switch to the stereo all in one piece, There is also a seperate piece below the steering column, Which might have a screw or two.
I found it easier to get the switches out first before you remove it rather than pull the dash out and then remove the switches.
Hope this helps...
Good luck

Ive been searching around the forums and yet have not been able to find any guide on how to get the dash out for the 1994 Fzj80

Most the guides talk about the screws behind the useless cubby hole.

Anyone know where the screws are if you dont have the useless cubby hole thing?:confused:

Are you just looking to take off the face, for installing a stereo or something, or do you want to take the whole dash out?

If it's just the face, it's pretty easy. There are screws in the ashtray (including the "top" of the ashtray space), along the bottom edge between the glovebox and the steering wheel. There's one bolt at the bottom of the dash molding beneath the ignition switch. Gently "test pull" the face once you've got the screws out. If it gives you resistance, check that area for another screw. If there's no other screws, just pull with gradually increasing force; there are also spring-clips holding it in place. Be careful to not stretch the wires to the switches; unplug them as you are able.

I found it was much easier to do all of this with the collar taken off the steering column, and with the steering wheel tilted as low as it could go.

That's all you need to do to get onto the stereo area.

IIRC there are, 3 securing the face surrounding the stereo, 4 screws securing the lower-most part.. X2 on the switches, but don't forget to unplug the rear-heater switch and cigarette lighter at the bottom.

Pull GENTLY on the face, otherwise you might break the clips.

Last edited:
Im going to be putting in a single din stereo (Pioneer DEH-P4900)
And possibly a in-dash CB radio, but i have a cubby hole for now.

What is the Inst Panel?

Last edited:
Hahah, I didnt know what inst. was =(

And that write up is a different type, I have the screws in different places like i said.
But it does help once i get the dash off.

And that write up is a different type, I have the screws in different places like i said.
But it does help once i get the dash off.
Oh, that's right, his is a 96... My bad :whoops:

Moving on...

There are 2 screws behind the ashtray and 1 below the ignition switch, where the OEM hand throttle would normally go.

Remove the screws, pop off the face (GENTLY) from bottom to top. Unplug the switches, cigarette lighter, and mirror controls and set it aside.

Hahah, I didnt know what inst. was =(
Hey, don't sweat it, not knowing the word is nothing, sorry for being a bit harsh... Knowing how to do the job is precious, at least you have that on me, hey, I'm watching this thread to learn from you, man! :)

Ahhhhh.

I shall try it tomorrow when its light out,
off for the night now though.:D

Thanks!

No problem. :cool:

Post pics if you can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom