gas smell only with window down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
I've had an intermittent problem for awhile, but I think it's getting worse. When the front window (driver or passenger) is down, I get a strong fuel smell inside. With the window up, no smell. I've looked around under the hood, no obvious place that's leaking. I have a vacuum gauge hooked up, and based on it's reading (21 inches at idle) no evidence of a vacuum leak.

I don't know where to look.

Carb is mounted tight. Fuel lines to the carb appear to be tight.

What else should I check?

This probably isn't going to help in your situation, but I had a similiar one awhile back after filling up, popped the gas door and the cap fell out onto the ground. Once I put the cap on tight, the smell went away.

get a new gas cap. i had no idea what caused this problem, but it's as simple as that. haven't smelled gas since.

you can always take a look behind the passenger rear quarter panels, from the inside, to see that all the hoses from the filler neck to the tank are in good repair and not leaking.

get a new gas cap. i had no idea what caused this problem, but it's as simple as that. haven't smelled gas since.

you can always take a look behind the passenger rear quarter panels, from the inside, to see that all the hoses from the filler neck to the tank are in good repair and not leaking.

Gas cap is pretty new (OEM). I've checked the hoses in the PS rear quarter. All looks good. If these leaked, I'd smell gas with the window up or down though right?

Could it be something related to the charcoal canister? Replaced mine about a year ago with another used one. It passes the tests in the emissions manual, but ya never know...

look again at the canister... just to make sure. also check your fuel filter, possible it's blocked and leaking? check your fuel pump next.

spray some carb cleaner around your carb while engine is running. potentially there's a leak/intake problem at a seal.

that's all i got. hopefully someone has something else as that's a really bad thing to have going on - i remember how quickly i would get all light headed from the fumes.

good luck.

m.

I had this exact problem, and the problem ended up being that the filler neck was damaged, and the cap did not fit just right. It took a new filler neck to fix. They are still available, and practically a work of art.

i almost went for the filler neck myself, but luckily was saved with a simple new cap. those filler necks cost some serious $$$. painful.

open the rh side cargo cover in the back. Look at all the vent lines and filler neck. Might be a smell that is driven forward by the front open window.

All of the above will head you in the right direction but if that does not get the problem check the EVAP sytem. There is a valve that sends vapors to the cannister, that can go out and/or the cannister can be blocked or full. Lok in the emissions FSM for details.

i started having the same problem a few days ago...just had a new fule pump/filter installed too! Smells real bad, but only when the window is open. I also had a serious and noticeable loss of power going uphill. I pulled over to the side of the road, and couldn't smell/see anything around the engine. Checked under the truck, and didn't see any leaks. But i noticed that there was gas on the side of the car coming from the fuel door. When i opened the fuel door, and unscrewed the cap, i could hear a gurgling in the hose...strange. At first i thought i had over-filled the tank, but now that i have driven it a further 50km, i'm positive that wasn't the problem. Also, mine is a 62 (fuel-injected), so could not be a carb problem! What could it be...? Maybe i should change the gas cap? :confused:

I found and fixed the problem! No more stinky fuel smell.

Two evap sys hoses on the DS near the carb had worked loose. They were in place, but could easily be moved. I tightened the hose clamps, no more smell!

Red (ish) circles show the location of the four hose clamps. (One on each end of each hose.)
Evap Sys Hoses with outline.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom