Painting shutters - need some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

macneill

Rollin’ on 33s
Threads
So, we ordered a bunch of custom interior shutters for our place. In hindsite, I should have gone with a place that painted them, but that's water under the bridge.

They all have the movable piece in the middle that adjusts them open or closed.

I need to paint these suckas and after doing one with a brush, I want to spray the rest.

I used an oil final coat to match the rest of the trim in our place.

Can I spray oil? Should I find a comparabel latex?

I need help.

either product can be sprayed....i have used an airless sprayer for both...clean up from a latex product will be easy...clean from an oil based product not so easy...both will perform fine in your situation

osagecruiser

Wagner power painter with the correct tip for what ever you choose. I like latex cause it cleans up easier and I am lazy, that's why I know the Wagner will work.:D With latex it comes out a little lumpy but flows level.

Wagner power painter with the correct tip for what ever you choose. I like latex cause it cleans up easier and I am lazy, that's why I know the Wagner will work.:D With latex it comes out a little lumpy but flows level.

X2 on the Wagner and Latex. Thin the latex with a bit of water and it won't clump or get the newest Power Painter and it will spray anything with no problems. I painted our cabin last year with a power painter and it worked fine. Lots of time spent refilling but....

Thanks for the tips!

Will look into a Wagner this weekend.

Well how'd you make out?

Nothing yet. Still cold and wet down here.

Been making planters and a bench for the deck.

Will post some pix of the shutters once it warms up! :)

I'd vote for spraying the oil. I would rent/borrow a decent airless spray rig instead of the Wagner thingy. Use a 210 tip so it doesn't come out too fast or have a huge pattern.

I've found that oil is actually easier to clean up than latex. It takes maybe 1-2 gallons of "dirty" paint thinner and a quart of fresh thinner once you get the technique down.

Oil base sprays well from any kind of sprayer, but you might need to thin it a little. Check your pattern first. Clean up is easy with thinner.

If you are spraying gloss or semi gloss latex, use "Flowtrol", which will make it spray and level much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom