rear end and axle leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son's FJ40 has an oil leak from the right rear axle. I guess we're going to fix it tomorrow. I think I need to pull the rear end cover to remove the "c" clips in order for the axle to slide out after removing the backing plates.
Are there any surprises I need to be aware of before undertaking this? Do you use gasket sealer on the gaskets when reassembling?
Thanks,
Victor

nope... sounds like you 've got it all under control
while you'r in there you might wanna go ahead and change the other side too

Also clean the vent..... often the creator of the problem.....

Thanks.

What about sealer.......rtv blue?

My son's FJ40 has an oil leak from the right rear axle. I guess we're going to fix it tomorrow. I think I need to pull the rear end cover to remove the "c" clips in order for the axle to slide out after removing the backing plates.
Are there any surprises I need to be aware of before undertaking this? Do you use gasket sealer on the gaskets when reassembling?
Thanks,
Victor

Backing plate does not need to be removed. Once the c-clips are removed, the axle will simply slide out of the bearing and seal.

I do not use any sealer on the OEM cork gasket for the rear cover. Just clean it well and install it.

Good luck!

-Steve

Have a look at your brake shoes, especially on the leaky side. If they are soaked with oil, they should be replaced.

More often than not (by a large margin) if your real axle seal is leaking it is because the rear wheel/axle bearing needs to be replaced.

The axle will come out easily. inspect the bearing surface on the axle for wear as well as the bearing right behind the seal. If you decide to remove the bearing you will need a bearing puller. They can be a real pain and require heat and patience to remove. I decided to replace both seals and bearings since I was in there.
I was told if there was heat discoloration on the axle the bearing was bad, I am not 100% sure this is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom