SM420 Shift Pattern (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed a Sm420 in my 68. Thinking I was putting it in reverse it went forward. I pushed left passed 1st and 2nd, then pulled back on the stick. Checking out other options I never could find reverse. Anybody have any solutions.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Reverse is to you, and down.

When you are in neutral, you should be able to feel a spring, keeping you out of the reverse gate, when moving the shifter cane laterally.

Low, or first gear is to you (but do not pull it into that reverse spring gate) and up, second is strait down from first, third is over and up, fourth is strait down from third.

:beer:

Did you just have the shift lever out? If so, you may have installed it wrong, which would make it so that you can't shift it into N or any other gear.

Pull you floor pan and the shifter. You may have not lined things up when you put the shifter in. The worst thing is that you would have to pull the top of the tranny off if you need to realline the shifter forks.

Ask Poser how this is down.

If you only had the shift lever out, you don't have to pull the top cover, just the lever.

I did take off the top cover for inspection, I bet that is where I screwed up.

If that is the case, it sounds like you did not get the reverse fork back into the reverse gear control lever.

No big deal to rectify.

:beer:

Thank You very much for your help guys, It is always nice to get different perspective on the situation. Some of the simplest things we forget when things go wrong.

The reverse gear slides easily on its shaft, so it is hard to get the fork in right. Put a dab of wheel bearing grease on the shaft to stick it in place while you get the cover on.

Wait a tick...the SM420 should be all the way right and down shouldn't it? I know the toy 4spd is all the way left and down though :D

That would be a 465 reverse location, a 420 shift pattern is identical to a H41/42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom