Napa Gold...one of these things is not like the other (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a Napa Gold 1515 today on the recommendation of this forum. I am amazed at the size of the filter compared to what the PO had on. The PO had been having the oil changed at a Valvoline quick change place, using synthetic 10w30 at 3000mi intervals. I'm glad the intervals were short, as the Valvoline has not recieved a lot of positive feedback from this group.

Pleased with the construction of the Napa unit, and what looks like 3x the oil capacity compared to Valvoline VO25 that was there. I also used the Rotella T synthetic 5w-40, again on the recommedation of all of yous.;)

BTW...I read that the 5115 was a small filter compared to others for the LC/LX...I'd hate to see the "big" one.
OILSSM.JPG

I've been using Wicks 51515. If I understand right, it is the same filter as the NAPA gold. I wasn't aware of there being a 'bigger' filter for these than the Wicks 51515.

For some reason these oil change places think that if the threads match and the seal ring diameter is the same, everything is fine. I like a bit more surface area in a filter.

For some reason these oil change places think that if the threads match and the seal ring diameter is the same, everything is fine.

Maybe Jiffy Lube, but not where I work. We all think that's it's weird, for example, that a Nissan Titan takes the same filter as a Sentra. I can't quite remember the number on it, but it's a small one.

Maybe Jiffy Lube
Not the Jiffy Lube I worked at, every filter was looked up on the computer and I had to stick the filter up top where upon they verified and signed the filter.
edit: I will say their filters suck, they're like beer cans. But to be honest, the type of oil/filter has never mattered in the least to me.

Last edited:
i thought people were trying to put smaller filters in their LC's to prevent that startup noise. i was going to switch to the smaller purolator

The smaller filter can help reduce the duration of the startup noise, because it helps oil pressure to the timing chain tensioner build faster. The larger filter would offer more surface area for filtration if you are running extended change intervals. It's personal choice. There has also been athread about a 90 degree adapter for your oil filter that would help hold oil in it instead of having it drain back to the pan. Not sure if it fits with the large filter. This may be the best of both worlds if it would fit.

The smaller filter can help reduce the duration of the startup noise, because it helps oil pressure to the timing chain tensioner build faster. The larger filter would offer more surface area for filtration if you are running extended change intervals. It's personal choice. There has also been athread about a 90 degree adapter for your oil filter that would help hold oil in it instead of having it drain back to the pan. Not sure if it fits with the large filter. This may be the best of both worlds if it would fit.

Isn't there a filter available for the 80 with an anti-drainback valve?

I always used a larger truck filter for my T/A that had an anti-db valve (even though it didn't need it since the LS1 filter is already upside down)

Rick

I always used a larger truck filter for my T/A that had an anti-db valve (even though it didn't need it since the LS1 filter is already upside down)
Rick

Going a touch off topic... What larger filter fits an LS1 without becoming a skid plate? I have a 2001 Z28 and there isn't a lot of extra room under or around that filter.

Rick

Ya there is a filter like that I believe its the one you can order from Cdan.

I've been using the small Wix part# 51348 w/drainback valve...Wix makes great products!

Going a touch off topic... What larger filter fits an LS1 without becoming a skid plate? I have a 2001 Z28 and there isn't a lot of extra room under or around that filter.

There is one.... I use the standard size napa gold on my z28 now but in the past have used the larger one. I believe if you order one from the 4x4 silverado of the same year it is the larger one you are looking for. as for skid plate... it would be hard to hit it due to where the front wheels are, if you ran over a large rock you might be able to hit the larger one.

The Iron Block LS1 Truck filters :)

I had bought a couple cases of the older ones (I think it was either PF58 or PF59), but the PN has been changed since then....

It's about 2 inches longer than the stock PF44 and holds about 1/2 quart more oil :cool:

One of the numbers has an anti-drainback valve and the other doesn't (not that it really matters in our case)

Countless discussions on filters at LS2.com and LS1tech.com

Rick

Aztek T/A WS7 & 70 RAM AIR IV T/A
Moderator @ LS2, FAST LS1, FUELSLUT,
The F-Body Hideout, LS1Turd & ChopperForums

Rick
Yes, the Napa Gold 1515 has an anti-drain back valve, if you look at the filter it is the orange element inside the filter, also if you at the box it labels the components of the filter and points to the anti drain valve.

Antonio

i believe now-a-days, all filters have the anti drainback valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom