FJ60 for sale - NE Heights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
White and stock FJ60 for sale on Menaul. $3,700. A/C written on windshield. Let me know if you want a phone number or more information.

Rides rough. ;)

-Mike-

Who the heck would want to buy one of those old things?;)

Will all you tire kickers please keep your comments to yourselves? This looked like a very nice stock driver. It is not a parts truck and Jon, you already have a driver, a trail truck, and a BASKETCASE©®™ that needs your undivided attention; you don't need another vehicle.

Sheesh.... try to help those looking for a truck and whadda ya get.... :rolleyes:

-Mike-

Last edited:
At least I'm entitled to make derogatory remarks about 60s since I've had the pleasure of owning one (2-technically) for 3 1/2 years. At $3,700, that is definitely not a parts truck. I spent $700 on my parts truck. I'm guessing for that price it must be in pretty good shape. You never know what rust-belt, 60-series fanatic might be lurking for the chance to find a rust-free machine from the desert southwest. Plus, I think if it's an '86 or '87 it will more easily accept an H55F 5-speed manual than the earlier models, if I'm correctly recalling what Gorman was telling me.

Hey, I have an '87. I'm going to go plunk down $2,000 for that H55F right now. And then, I think I'll get that $1,800 lift. Gotta have $1,000 worth of tires. Then comes the regearing for a few hundred dollars. Might as well throw in several hundred (or thousand) for lockers. Cool. Now I've got a locked, lifted almost decked out 60 with at least $12,000 into it and I'd be lucky to be able to sell it for $6,000 if the need ever came up.

Marc

Last edited:
At least I'm entitled to make derogatory remarks about 60s...

Self interest aside, I hate to see 60 series malighned. It does a very good job of what it was designd and built to do: provide sturdy, simple, reliable transportation in a less-then-urban environment. We should feel privileged that we even got a few here given the American martket's taste for cushier transportation.

... I hate to see 60 series malighned...

I'm sure that's why Beo puts so much energy into maligning them.

I get tired of the constant maintenance/drivability/reliability issues I get to deal with on mine. If it wasn't my primary transportation, I probably wouldn't dislike it as much. I still don't enjoy attempting to diagnose whatever the next ambiguous and vague symptom that pops up.

However, 95% of the time mine goes where I want and hauls what I want. It may not get there quickly or efficiently. It may get there a couple days late. But it gets there eventually.

If it had fuel injection, overdrive and got 18 MPG, I don't think I'd malign it as much as I do. But I'm not willing to spend any money to remedy the situation so I'll just stick with what I've got.

I'm sure that's why Beo puts so much energy into maligning them.

Hold on there Sparky. I have not maligned the FJ60 vehicle. (Well, not recently anyway.)

I *have* poked fun at those that complain about looooooong drives to various wheeling areas. Greg has brought this up several times when he wanted to go to closer areas and he implied that taking an extra 30 miles travel time was unbearable; what with screamin' kids and the bumpy ride.

You also recently brought up the looooooong proposed trip to Colorado and suggested we change the Colorado trip to stay in Northern New Mexico. My interpretation of these persistent complaints from the FJ60 owners about loooooong drives is that, with age, those trucks must ride rough or something. In the absence of other justification for shorter trips, this was the only reason that I could think of.

FWIW, I like the FJ60s and there is a slim, tiny, maybe, chance that I will buy the white one on Menaul if none of the other guys jump on it first.

Or not. :D

-Mike-

My interpretation of these persistent complaints from the FJ60 owners about loooooong drives is that, with age, those trucks must ride rough or something. In the absence of other justification for shorter trips, this was the only reason that I could think of.

My little brother picked up an FJ62. Unless there is a significant difference between the ride of the 60 and the 62, I'd say his is pretty decent on a long haul. It beat my old 40 by a long shot.

I'm partial to the road manners of my FJ, but his 62 isn't too bad at all. My stock motored 40 on 35 inch SSRs complete with floppy soft top was a real bear; still made it to Rocky mountain national park, Moab, Ouray, etc just fine. Maybe it's not the age of the trucks... ;)

-Nathan

Greg has brought this up several times when he wanted to go to closer areas and he implied that taking an extra 30 miles travel time was unbearable; what with screamin' kids and the bumpy ride.

I never mentioned anything about a "bumpy" ride. My avoidance of extra driving time has nothing to do with the ride quality of the 60 and everything to do with having kids that are both at a "not wanting to be in the car" age.

Truth be told, fuel economy notwithstanding, I would rather make road trips in the 60 because it has WAY more carga capacity and is more comfortable (yes, because I have non-OEM seats) than our Outback.

As for Marc's reliability issues, I'm confident that 90% of it relates to emissions equipment. Once all that crap is gone there's really not much to break. This is a fault with the EPA requirements and not with Toyota design because most of the 60s went to foreign markets that didn't have such requirements.

Hold on there Sparky.

How'd you guess my dad's nickname for me when I was a kid ?

You also recently ... suggested we change the Colorado trip to stay in Northern New Mexico. My interpretation of these persistent complaints from the FJ60 owners about loooooong drives is that, with age, those trucks must ride rough or something. In the absence of other justification for shorter trips, this was the only reason that I could think of.

I can see how you would think that. I've just never been to the mountains of NE NM (outside of a grueling Philmont Trek) and thought less time on the road would mean more time off the road.

... is more comfortable (yes, because I have non-OEM seats) than our Outback.

I'm sure the non-OEM motor and transmission help too.

As for Marc's reliability issues, I'm confident that 90% of it relates to emissions equipment. Once all that crap is gone there's really not much to break. This is a fault with the EPA requirements and not with Toyota design because most of the 60s went to foreign markets that didn't have such requirements.

Since I live in Bernalillo County and work at KAFB, that pretty much forces me to keep all that stuff installed. I don't plan to find another job and move out of the county any time soon so I'll have to keep dealing with all the emissions crap.

Here's a list of the major issues I've had with the truck since purchasing:

- It wouldn't pass the county emissions test when I moved to Albuquerque. That turned out to be a split hose leading from the air pump to the diverter valve.

- While driving through the mountains around Durango/Silverton/Telluride/Ouray, the engine stopped idling properly. This frustrated and confused me for a few weeks until massive vacuum leaks were discovered below the carburetor and at the intake manifold/head interface. The truck was down for several weeks and cost lots of money to fix.

- While driving to Colorado, the PS Pump and Air Injection pump take a dump about 300 miles from home and 30 miles from our destination. Thanks to a lot of luck and kindness from the folks at Classic Cruisers, my 4-day Colorado vacation ends up being 1 1/2 days - but at least I drove home. There goes another $500.

- One day, I notice a small puddle of liquid at the base of one of my rear tires. I remove the wheel and brake drum to discover that I've got a leaking axle seal. Replacing this seal becomes an ordeal because of the 30 mph winds and blowing sand while the diff cover is off. I drained and refilled the rear diff after getting home in hopes of washing out as much dirt as I could.

- The throwout bearing has howled since the day I bought it.

- The transmission whines as loudly as the transmission in my dad's '63 GMC.

- I failed my last emissions test and was sweating it for a few weeks until some tweaking of the mixture and idle speed screws brought back into compliance

- Now the f---ing thing is refusing to start after it has sat in the driveway for more than 12 hours and especially in the morning when I'm on my way to work. I can sit for several minutes trying different combinations of pumping the accelerator, pulling out the choke, pushing the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor before she finally lights off. This could be emissions equipment issues or carburetor issues or fuel pressure issues. None of which are simple to diagnose.

Is it clear yet why I am not extremely fond of my 60? These are just the issues I consider to be major. There are plenty of little things that I don't want to bother whining about. Everyone already knows how they are gutless wonders and struggle to cruise at 75 on the highway.

Marc

Is it clear yet why I am not extremely fond of my 60?

So, I guess you won't be asking for the phone number on that white one?
:D

-Mike-

I'm sure the non-OEM motor and transmission help too.

Ahem...well yes...

But the truck saw plenty of action on the highway before any of that took place.

My mods aside, any vehicle that's 20+ yeares old with 100K on the clock will have issues.

You could be doing the head gasket on your 80.

:eek:

Funny you say that. Not long after sending my last message I was actually thinking that I have been lucky that the engine hasn't given me any trouble and at least I don't have an 80 with leaking head gasket or melting wiring harness issues.

My mods aside, any vehicle that's 20+ yeares old with 100K on the clock will have issues.

Good point. I probably have unrealistic expectations, just because it's a Toyota. It does have 262,000 miles on the odometer. I can't imagine how much any other brand truck with that many miles would rattle, squeek, wander all over the road..... that is if it ever made it to that many miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom