Check Engine Light Stays On (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK,
First for a hist of maintenance on my truck.
Changed/maintained
Front Axle Repack.
Front/Rear brakes
Fuel Filter
PHH
Changed Radiator Fluid, Hoses, thermostat.
Changed all fluids to synthetic except for the Power steering fluid (still need to do.)
Changed the starter contacts and plunger.
Changed the belts (I hear a concerning noise when I turn the AC on. Gotta check the AC belt to make sure it is not too tight or too loose.)
Oil levels fine in engine and Tranny.

What could possibly be giving me a check engine warning? I don't have a code reader. Should I just buy a code reader instead of paying a mechanic $70 to trouble shoot it? How much are the code readers?

OK,
First for a hist of maintenance on my truck.
Changed/maintained
Front Axle Repack.
Front/Rear brakes
Fuel Filter
PHH
Changed Radiator Fluid, Hoses, thermostat.
Changed all fluids to synthetic except for the Power steering fluid (still need to do.)
Changed the starter contacts and plunger.
Changed the belts (I hear a concerning noise when I turn the AC on. Gotta check the AC belt to make sure it is not too tight or too loose.)
Oil levels fine in engine and Tranny.

What could possibly be giving me a check engine warning? I don't have a code reader. Should I just buy a code reader instead of paying a mechanic $70 to trouble shoot it? How much are the code readers?

This is the worst tech post ever.

BHM Cruiser Thanks for your constructive input.

BHM Cruiser Thanks for your constructive input.

Sorry, but did you do any search whatsoever? Did you search to see how much a code reader costs? Did you look online to figure that out? When did the light come on? How long has it been on? Is it intermittent? Do you really think that the cel has something to do with what kind of power steering fluid you use?

Do you really expect someone to be able to determine what the code is just because the CEL is on? Because that is basically what you are asking.

I'll help you with this: lots of car parts places will pull codes for free. You can take that code, type it into the search function on this site, and find out a lot of information about your engine problem.

If you don't search and learn about your problem before you post, I don't think it's fair to assume that you're going to get pleasant responses. If you do, I think you'll see how helpful everyone wants to be.

Help me help you.

Latino, don't feel offended but your post is like this:

I am currently in a dark room. I can't find my pencil. Where could it be? Should I give $70 to a guy to find it for me or maybe simply turn the light on and do it myself?

Turn the light on and buy a reader. You can also buy a cable which is cheaper (but you need a laptop).

The 'check engine light' is not a problem, it is an indication of a malfunction. When you read the code and won't know what to do, then this will be a problem and we will be happy to help you. We can't do it yet, you haven't given us the basic information.

Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc. will read your code for free. You can get a basic reader for around $50. I bet its a P0401 or P0402 lol

This is the worst tech post ever.

BHM, lighten up. You have to admit, this is more information than most offer. But, I have to admit, this guy has done more maintenance on his LC than I have so he should really know the ropes...

I have heard that Schuck's / Checker / Napa and many others will read the code for you for free. Let your fingers do the walking and call around to see who wants to make friends.

I have a '94 so the paper clip is my friend.

Riley

What could possibly be giving me a check engine warning?

Latinoguy,

[Welcome Wagon mode]

Your belt noise could be due to cogged aftermarket belts or the tensioner or the belts being too tight. There are other possibilities but those are the cheap and likely candidates. Eliminate these as your issue first.

Regarding the check engine warning. This is known as the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL.) The primary purpose is to alert the driver of a problem with the vehicle that affects the emissions systems. There are dozens and dozens of possible codes. As others have suggested, you can visit your local AutoZone and they will probably read your code for free if you ask nicely and they are not too busy. After you get the code, post back here and we will try to assist. If you only want the light to "go away", you can pull the EFI fuse for a minute and that will reset the MIL. If it returns, you are back to square one.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

[/Welcome Wagon Mode]

-B-

Latinoguy,

[Welcome Wagon mode]

Your belt noise could be due to cogged aftermarket belts or the tensioner or the belts being too tight. There are other possibilities but those are the cheap and likely candidates. Eliminate these as your issue first.

Regarding the check engine warning. This is known as the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL.) The primary purpose is to alert the driver of a problem with the vehicle that affects the emissions systems. There are dozens and dozens of possible codes. As others have suggested, you can visit your local AutoZone and they will probably read your code for free if you ask nicely and they are not too busy. After you get the code, post back here and we will try to assist. If you only want the light to "go away", you can pull the EFI fuse for a minute and that will reset the MIL. If it returns, you are back to square one.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

[/Welcome Wagon Mode]

-B-

Excellent advice and mentoring B! Try to use only OEM parts on your vehicle (the belt problem is pretty common if you have aftermarket belts on). A set of OEM belts are less than $30 from a dealership (less from Cruiser Dan if you want to wait).

Please let us know what the code is and a wealth of knowledge will be coming your way.

Riley

Excellent advice and mentoring B! Try to use only OEM parts on your vehicle (the belt problem is pretty common if you have aftermarket belts on). A set of OEM belts are less than $30 from a dealership (less from Cruiser Dan if you want to wait).

Please let us know what the code is and a wealth of knowledge will be coming your way.

Riley

Tra la la! Don't forget to wear your seatbelt and put air, not hydrogen, in your tires.

Tra la la! Don't forget to wear your seatbelt and put air, not hydrogen, in your tires.

Having a bad day BHM? I really don't understand the animosity towards this member's question.

I respect anyone on this site that has changed the PHH and starter contacts themself. If the guy isn't familiar with the CEL process, he is pretty damn lucky in my book.

No offense meant by my comments.

Riley

edit: This is entering the chat realm, sorry to everyone for that...

Having a bad day BHM? I really don't understand the animosity towards this member's question.

I respect anyone on this site that has changed the PHH and starter contacts themself. If the guy isn't familiar with the CEL process, he is pretty damn lucky in my book.

No offense meant by my comments.

Riley

No offense taken. I am being a jerk, and will stop.

So, Whats the CODE? lol ..... Go to Autozone if you dont want to buy a code reader.....

So am I to understand that if I go to Autozone and ask them to run a diagnostic, they will do it for free?

Because my check engine light has been coming on since December, and I haven't gotten it checked yet.l

So am I to understand that if I go to Autozone and ask them to run a diagnostic, they will do it for free?

Because my check engine light has been coming on since December, and I haven't gotten it checked yet.l

They will pull your stored codes from your OBD for free.

Ok, Went out of town for the day back on the computer. Just had time to read the suggestions to my question.

Thanks to all for the mentoring. Can't be wrenching without your help. So far all parts are OEM thru CruiserDan. All maintenance has been done by friends and myself. Will check the belts as suggested.

I picked up an OBDII Code Reader from HF (94169-OVGA On sale now for $49.99 Reg $ is $79.00 So now I need to learn how to use it.

Where is the connection in the vehicle to connect the reader to? Should have codes for you tomorrow.

It's right above your fuse panel in the lower left hand part of your dash. A simple plug in.

Ok, Went out of town for the day back on the computer. Just had time to read the suggestions to my question.

Thanks to all for the mentoring. Can't be wrenching without your help. So far all parts are OEM thru CruiserDan. All maintenance has been done by friends and myself. Will check the belts as suggested.

I picked up an OBDII Code Reader from HF (94169-OVGA On sale now for $49.99 Reg $ is $79.00 So now I need to learn how to use it.

Where is the connection in the vehicle to connect the reader to? Should have codes for you tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom