Dirty engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I heard that cleaning your engine with water/engine cleaner is harder on it that just leaving it dirty. Can anyone confirm the validity of this?:grinpimp:

well i guess if you're spraying stuff into the intake its bad... but eitherway, its a motor, a sealed unit, wa****, dont wash it, it really makes very little difference (if any)

The only thing that not cleaning it will do is clog up your radiator and cause your truck to overheat. The other thing it might do is give the dealership a reason to question the validity of your warranty if it ever breaks. They might say you used it improperly. I wash the mud out every time I go out.

The only thing that not cleaning it will do is clog up your radiator and cause your truck to overheat. The other thing it might do is give the dealership a reason to question the validity of your warranty if it ever breaks. They might say you used it improperly. I wash the mud out every time I go out.

Same here. I just spent about five minutes washing out the whole bay with high pressure. No problems.

clean engine makes it easier to work on, easier to spot leaks or any issues and keeps your connectors in better shape.

I use simple green & water. Cover your battery and go at it.

I don't use high pressure b/c I fear that will push debris into places that would not naturally- tho that might be just a myth.

wash a cold engine, you don't want the sudden temp shift to crack your manifold or soemthing.

clean engine makes it easier to work on, easier to spot leaks or any issues and keeps your connectors in better shape.

I use simple green & water. Cover your battery and go at it.

I don't use high pressure b/c I fear that will push debris into places that would not naturally- tho that might be just a myth.

wash a cold engine, you don't want the sudden temp shift to crack your manifold or soemthing.

the working on it thing is a very valid point, as is the wash a cold engine thing.

not to hijack but since its related... personally while i like having my truck clean, i'd love to see a truck at SEMA thats absolutly covered in mud. big clompy wet sloppy mud. perhaps a truck for a tire company, and the truck is filthy but with fresh rubber... taht'd be friggin sweet.

the working on it thing is a very valid point, as is the wash a cold engine thing.

not to hijack but since its related... personally while i like having my truck clean, i'd love to see a truck at SEMA thats absolutly covered in mud. big clompy wet sloppy mud. perhaps a truck for a tire company, and the truck is filthy but with fresh rubber... taht'd be friggin sweet.

AEM had a dirty Tundra at the SEMA show in 2004

I was at SEMA in Atlanta last week and tried to get them to put my muddy truck at the booth, the Jeepers beat me to it! I was there with UFWDA to talk about land use issues.

Mine gets dirty almost weekly, from off-roading, why wash it?, spotting leaks will be easier in the light brown dirt coating the engine now has.

yet another valid point... however i'm not too worried about leaks at this pont... its a new toyota... if it were a VW... :rolleyes:

I wash the engine of my Xterra (sorry) (200,000K) once a year in the spring. With a WARM engine, not hot ,I spray then just wash with car wash soap. Big rinse then start it right up to dry. Has worked for 5 years!

Mine gets dirty almost weekly, from off-roading, why wash it?, spotting leaks will be easier in the light brown dirt coating the engine now has.

Tell that to the 2 idle pulleys and clutch bearing assembly I just had changed.. under warranty but still.. no fj for 4 days. It did sound nice and loud like a mac truck though. Heather might remember it from tellico last year

Tell that to the 2 idle pulleys and clutch bearing assembly I just had changed.. under warranty but still.. no fj for 4 days. It did sound nice and loud like a mac truck though. Heather might remember it from tellico last year

well having the engine bay devoid of large chunks of mud and such is a good idea, as you mentioned there are some exposed moving parts, but for the most part... god made dirt, dirt dont hurt.

2004 SEMA had a Tundra completely covered in dirt. They cleaned off just the spots over the sponsor stickers. Also had a tricked out Banshee in the bed.

I have 6 pics of it if anyone wants to post.

2004 SEMA had a Tundra completely covered in dirt. They cleaned off just the spots over the sponsor stickers. Also had a tricked out Banshee in the bed.

I have 6 pics of it if anyone wants to post.

yeah, that was the AEM Tundra in the Main Hall

Yeah, I do remember Carlos. You just had to change them out recently???

Yeah, I do remember Carlos. You just had to change them out recently???

I went to the dealership to get the state inspection done(closest spot) and asked them to check what the noise was so I could fix it, and they fixed it which was unexpectedly nice from them. But yeah I put about 12k miles and probably could've kept driving it with all of those parts defective. That lets you know about the quality of these vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom