Which Tire is Best Kumho or Yokohama? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bat Masterson

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi folks,

I am about to purchase a new set of 285 75r 16 tires and have narrowed it down to either the Kumho AT or Geolander HT-S. I have found excellent reviews on both and the price point is better on the Kumho set.

I will be driving these mostly on-road and some minor off road travel mostly on gravel for now. I do like the more aggressive tread pattern on the Kumho vs Yokohama.

I do a lot of highway travel and want a tire with excellent traction in rain and snow as well as a strong sidewall to support the excessive weight of the 80.

I am also upgrading to an OME low lift set up with stock 16" aluminum wheels.

Which tire do you think would be better?

Thanks,

Dave

Why just those two? Why not Revos or BFG A/Ts? Much better tires off road and do great on road as well.

Mainly due to price point at this point. I have searched and read extensively and agree that BFG and Revo's are great tires. Too many items on the build list now so trying to get the biggest bang for my $$$.

Dave

ive got 10k on my 285/75 yokohama geolander II's, and i really like them. price was a consideration for me too. They did take quite a bit of weight to balance on one tire, but after having it respun (it threw a 3/4 oz weight on the highway), its a smooth quiet ride.

Here's what I ended up with for around $140.00 a tire (BFG AT's were 187.00 a tire)

yokrl4.l.jpg

I had Kumho Ecstas and did not like'em...made too much noise, seemed excessively hard and I thought they 'tracked' off erratically / excessively in on-road grooves. Just my .02

Lastly, I think many LC veterans / folks on this site have 'been there and done that' and would recommend other tires that are more 'tried-and-true'...up front cost for a tire is only good if you're going to sell it soon. I'd take a life-cycle perspective for tires...

I have the Geolander and they ride very nice on the highway. It feels like a street tire to me. No extra noise or anything. I think a better highway ride than the BFG A/Ts.

Nitto Terra Grapplers are only 130$ per tire and thats the 285/70 size.

I'd give the nod to Kumho. If it was a car tire I'd go Yokohama but for truck tires you won't go wrong with the Kumho's. When I needed replacements I went with the Kumho's partially by price point and their rep with large truck tires.

I have not read anything really derogatory about Kumho's on the tire websites or on this forum. It appears to be a really good tire for the money. The only thing I did find out was that the wear might be accelerated due to the weight factor of the 80. As long as they track correctly, do not cause vibration, and can be balanced--i'm good.

I'm just torn now whether to go with a street tire or AT just in case I do find time to do some wheeling! I think Discount Tires appear to have the lowest price on these tires at $122 with free shipping...will still search around to see if there are any rebates or specials.

Dave

i have some Kumhos and are happy, but thats all i've had so i may not have enough experience

I just threw a wrench in the gears and purchased 4 Terra Grapplers at Discount Tire for $500 shipped. I was going for the Kumho's but they threw me a better deal since the tires were close to me in their Ohio warehouse.

I'll let you all know how they work out.

Thanks for everyone's feedback and input...still helped tremendously.

Dave

good deal, glad they worked w/ ya. I wanted the NITTO TG's but the closest they had was saying in L.A. they had the bfg's there but didnt cut me too good a deal. i feel like i should have waited for the tg's but i will say they beat MTR's hands down on the road.

i have the geolanders (on tacoma)and am very impressed w/ wear and noise so far

I just threw a wrench in the gears and purchased 4 Terra Grapplers at Discount Tire for $500 shipped. I was going for the Kumho's but they threw me a better deal since the tires were close to me in their Ohio warehouse.

Dave

I love Discount tires Co. Fast service, and excellent customer service. They do free rotation even if you don't buy tires from them. I was suprised!

Do they offer free mounting, and free balance too if you buy tires from them?

I think they will give you a free mounting/balancing deal if you buy a complete wheel and tire package. Unfortunately, I am not close to one of their brick and mortar locations so will need to have my mechanic mount them.

They also offer a 'no questions asked' lifetime warranty for an additional $75 for 4 tires. If your tire fails for any reason...they will ship you a new one without an exchange. Did'nt buy that yet but I have 30 days to consider the 'opt in'.

I don't think anyone can touch this deal.

Dave

I love Discount tires Co. Fast service, and excellent customer service. They do free rotation even if you don't buy tires from them. I was suprised!

Do they offer free mounting, and free balance too if you buy tires from them?

Nothing is free - mount and balance is in your price. I buy everything from Discount because they are always competitive in pricing, fast, and have great service.

I don't buy tire warranty, though, because in your price is a prorated warranty, and if I get one new tire I really won't be able to run it due to tread depth variances.

Dave

I have a feeling you will be very happy with them. They are trail proven to do pretty well with moderate wheeling. Since you use this as your DD more than you wheel these will be great tires. I went with the BFG A/Ts and love them for wheeling and their good road manners. Get back with me on how you like them.

Nothing is free - mount and balance is in your price. I buy everything from Discount because they are always competitive in pricing, fast, and have great service.

I don't buy tire warranty, though, because in your price is a prorated warranty, and if I get one new tire I really won't be able to run it due to tread depth variances.

What about Costco? I thought costco do free mounting and balance? No? :confused:

Yes Costco will give you free mounting and balancing as long as you are running the same tires.....I will be purchasing a set from them by mid summer when the funds are available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom