Roof repairs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Oak limb made 2 dime sized holes in my roof over the passenger seat. Any one out there repair a roof? Was told I should take it to a boat repair shop to see what they can do with it. Any ideas?

CH

Well since it's on the roof and it's not a noticeable spot...I would weld up the holes and sand it down and spot paint it. I imagine if you take it to a boat repair shop the are going to fiberglass it. Which isn't a bad ideam but with it being on the roof you are leaving yourself open for an eventual leak. The only trick with the welding is you're gonna have to figure out a way to protect the headliner...you may have to remove it and reinstall it. You may be doing that anyhow if the limbs went all the way thru and damaged the headliner. So just my idea take it for what it's worth and build on it. Good luck

is it a metal top or fiberglass top? I'm gonna bank on it being fiberglass - if so go get yourself a kit and learn how to lay fiberglass! That's what I'm gonna do this summer! Good luck!

Do they even make metal roofs for fj40s? I agree, buy a fiberglass kit and try to fix it yourself. If it really sucks, then take it to a boat repair shop. As far as it leaking, I'm pretty sure most of the pleasure boats out there are made of fiberglass. They seem to keep water out okay. :confused: My fiberglass roof has kept out water for 35+ years.

Good luck! :cheers:

Oak limb made 2 dime sized holes in my roof over the passenger seat. Any one out there repair a roof? Was told I should take it to a boat repair shop to see what they can do with it. Any ideas?

CH

I would second what you were told.

Repairs like that can be done for a very fair price as long as you ask up front.

Repairing it yourself is not a big deal. A little glass mat and some resin. You should grind some of the gel coat back so you can get a good bond. You could also take it to any good auto body shop. Most good ones have someone experienced with corvette glass. Usually body shops will paint the entire top after the repair is done. A boat shop could also fix it and perhaps match the gel coat without painting the top.

Do the majority of the repair on the bottom side of your roof (inside the cab), and run the glass backing inside (under the headliner) as well this will allow you to keep the top side of your roof level and not noticeable as having been repaired, you want to sand the area for a couple of inches around the hole, be sure it is clean and scuffed up really well so the new glass will have a good surface to bind too, and be sure to glass out a couple of inches around the hole to stop any stress cracks that are probably in the top form being hit by the branch, the extra glassing in the area will stop most all the them from ever getting noticeable, or getting bigger as time goes by..

After you get the inside done, lightly sand the outside to remove any fiberglass that is above the level of the roof from your patch on the inside, and >LIGHTLY< scuff up the area around the hole on the top side with 800 grit, clean the area with some alcohol, there is a product called Feather Fill (you will want to use this if you want it to appear correct, after its scuffed and clean, apply a small dab of Feather Fill to the area next to the hole, then using a plastic Bondo spreader or a plastic scrapper, squeegee it in all directions filling any little areas that are lower than the rest of the surface, after the Feather fill is set up, sand it with 1200 grit until you can no longer feel the patch or any surface irregularities.. then hit it with some type of paint to cover and protect the feather fill and some what match your top so its not so noticeable..

Good Luck

may want to consider using some of the stuff that they repair surfboards with. It is called SOLAREZ and is easy to use, sun cures it. I have repaired several surf boards with the stuff and it would probably work great. I bet if you used a mesh backing you could repair it no prob and then paint the top later after it cures.

Noah

I was thinking the same thing. If they're not too big, use Solarez. Dab it in, use plastic wrap to maintain the roof shape (keep it taught), let it sit in the sun for an hour or so, and sand. I haven't done it for cruiser tops, but I've fixed multiple surfboards in the same manner.

Any autobody shop worth a flip can do fiberglass repairs no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom