Diagnostic port (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am working on a 85 4skin and can't find the connector to plug in the hand held code reader. The check engine light is on and I am pretty sure they have them on the first generation 4runners. Anyone know?

'85 was a "crossover" year, first year with EFI, so they didn't fully implement the diagnostic connector yet into one place.

By "hand held code reader" I believe you may be talking about an OBD-II reader. These type of connectors didn't show up on US vehicles until 1996.

the code reader is a snap on with a few different "ends". I assumed it was an OBDII but I wasn't sure. I was looking for it on my 86 and I couldn't find it either. I assumed it was under the dash or on the driver side inner fender. I will keep searching.

They are only on the 22RE, not on the carbed trucks. 86 might fall into the "later" group and it would be on the pass side inner fender.

TccsDiag.jpg

'85 was a "crossover" year, first year with EFI, so they didn't fully implement the diagnostic connector yet into one place.

By "hand held code reader" I believe you may be talking about an OBD-II reader. These type of connectors didn't show up on US vehicles until 1996.

x2 You will not find the palce to connect that scan tool like he said 96 and up vehicles have those plugs, On that truck you have to jump certain connectors to get tha light to flash you a code.........

I guess I will find out what connectors I have to cross to get it to flash. I assume there isn't a way to get it to flash with just turning the ignition on and off like on other trucks is there?

I guess I will find out what connectors I have to cross to get it to flash. I assume there isn't a way to get it to flash with just turning the ignition on and off like on other trucks is there?

just jump the blue one. its easier than breathing.

FuelPump1.jpg

Just for the record, I just did my timing etc... in amongst a head gasket job and such.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=146734

Had a devil of a time trying to get the timing set. Couldn't figure out which plug to jump the terminals on. Mine is an 85. Turned out it wasn't the two prong terminal on the driver's side, but rather the "diagnostic" port on the Pass. side. My 2 pesos. Still not sure what determined which ones(place?, month of production?) used which plug.

Tag says oct of 84 so it's an early 85 model. Still not sure if the engine is original or not. Oddly enough, my friend came by with his 86 and his only had the yellow two prong on the driver's side. I am beginning to assume mine had either a newer engine put in or perhaps just a new wireharness/ecu. We'll see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom