Body Filler ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Evercoat.

Can use their conventional filler straight up or mix it with Metal Glaze product to thin it out a little. Also their Kitty Hair product is great too, has some fiberglass strands in it for strength, but it is a PIA to sand.

One body work guy told me if your going to tackle a pretty good size imperfection to start out with a layer or kitty hair. The kitty hair will be much more workable if you mix some fiberglass resin with. Sand that down the best you can. Then hit it with a layer of conventional Evercoat filler. Sand that down good, build higher if needed. Then hit it with Evercoat metal glaze to finalize. This stuff goes down really smooth and never ends up with little holes in it.

Other than Evercoat, I've heard good things about West System.

USC KROMATE™ LIGHT is a good all around choice for floating out dents etc... West Systems is what you would use to repair a fiberglass HT on a 40, Corvette, TVR or other fiberglass car..or boat. Or if you contemplating not welding new metal in and wanted to glass patch....you wouldn't do that would you ?

USC KROMATE™ LIGHT is a good all around choice for floating out dents etc... West Systems is what you would use to repair a fiberglass HT on a 40, Corvette, TVR or other fiberglass car..or boat. Or if you contemplating not welding new metal in and wanted to glass patch....you wouldn't do that would you ?

There's nothing wrong with using fiberglass based filler on metal. ;)

Here is a great write up on what to do with fillers and what not to do.

http://www.roadsters.com/filler/ Just read a few things that surprised me, one guy apparently had bondo 2in thick one time and worked great for years, while other small think areas can be problems. It's all about the prep.

West Systems is mucho expensiveo. They are expoxy resins and hardeners. The fiberglass comes into play with either matt, roving or pixie dust. None of the above would I consider an economical or practical way to float out say a dent that you've pulled/hammer/and dollied on. Now West Systems does have quite a variety of other additives you can dump into the epoxy and harderner mix...filling and fairing additives/compounds. These can make life alot easier when working them and sanding them after they've hardened. But again not my first choice for general floating out of dents and dings. Other more typical auto fiberglass/bondo derivatives such as Duraglass or Tiger Hair will require subsequent filling with a light filler to float them out. It all depends what your mission is.

West Systems is mucho expensiveo. They are expoxy resins and hardeners. The fiberglass comes into play with either matt, roving or pixie dust. None of the above would I consider an economical or practical way to float out say a dent that you've pulled/hammer/and dollied on. Now West Systems does have quite a variety of other additives you can dump into the epoxy and harderner mix...filling and fairing additives/compounds. These can make life alot easier when working them and sanding them after they've hardened. But again not my first choice for general floating out of dents and dings. Other more typical auto fiberglass/bondo derivatives such as Duraglass or Tiger Hair will require subsequent filling with a light filler to float them out. It all depends what your mission is.

Yes, West Systems is expensive, which is why it wasn't my primary recommendation, Evercoat was. Depends on how serious you want to get.

And note I said I would use the fiberglass based filler on a "good size imperfection" as a base. "Dents and dings" don't require that much build, so it would be pointless to put it down on something that small.

Yes, West Systems is expensive, which is why it wasn't my primary recommendation, Evercoat was. Depends on how serious you want to get.

And note I said I would use the fiberglass based filler on a "good size imperfection" as a base. "Dents and dings" don't require that much build, so it would be pointless to put it down on something that small.

I guess I try to turn good size imperfections into minor imperfections by pulling, hammering and dollying or welding in new steel. Evercoat unless they have different formulations these days always seemed to be rather heavy compared to Kromate Light or Feather light...Does evercoat have some lighter products these days ? I haven't used them in a long time, but the local supplier carries them still.

I guess I try to turn good size imperfections into minor imperfections by pulling, hammering and dollying or welding in new steel. Evercoat unless they have different formulations these days always seemed to be rather heavy compared to Kromate Light or Feather light...Does evercoat have some lighter products these days ? I haven't used them in a long time, but the local supplier carries them still.

I have problems getting any good dents to hammer out on my cruiser, metal is just to thick. And in some cases it's easier to fill a good size imperfection than to put in new metal and smooth that out, but that pertains to cars more than cruisers.

These days, Evercoat has so many products it's not even funny. This is their products page and it seems like there is about 20 different types of filler.

I've never wandered to far from Evercoat, so far it's been the lighter of my choices. Evercoat has a line made to be specifically light (Lite Weight and
Chrome-A-Lite). Heard several people that use Kromate and Evercoat together also.

Yea the smaller body hammers aren't very useful on the thick steel. In the tough compound corners spots I've used the potra power, the BFH, and the BFSH to get that steel to begin to move. Even then it sounds like a war is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom