what's the best way to pull a dent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

depends on how much work you want to put into it and if you are re-painting or not. I've got lucky once or twice (believe it or not) using a common toliet plunger.

Might check Eastwood company online for some idears.

It's a first size dent. it would not need to be repainted, but i cannot get under/behind it to push it back out. It's at the the top of the door skin, just below the window. I've seen the paintless dent removers in other towns, but i have never seen one around here.

Put one in the other side to match ;)

Seriously though, depending on the shape of the dent (creased) I've seen people use dry ice to pop dents.

it's a soft wide arc crease. I'm not sure what did it, but if i could get behind it i'm positive it would pop back. the one abouve the door handle
bump.JPG

Last edited:
then cut an access hole nearby, and get behind it to bump it out. Weld the cleanly cut access hole shut (best on a inside panel for obvoius reasons, but if yer gonna repaint then no worries) If not a good idea, then get yer hands on a stud welder. www.autobodystore.com is a great ref as well as eastwood. Both have forums and tutorials avail.

then cut an access hole nearby, and get behind it to bump it out. Weld the cleanly cut access hole shut (best on a inside panel for obvoius reasons, but if yer gonna repaint then no worries) If not a good idea, then get yer hands on a stud welder. www.autobodystore.com is a great ref as well as eastwood. Both have forums and tutorials avail.

this is what i plan on using on the dent on wheel well. I cannot get behind that one either.

Just make sure you get the area super clean, my studs didnt want to stick very well when i tried to pull a dent on my caddy.

Just make sure you get the area super clean, my studs didnt want to stick very well when i tried to pull a dent on my caddy.
Good stud guns will stick the studs so well that they always break or pull out a piece of sheet metal before coming loose. You do need to grind to bare metal.
If you are willing to paint, these are the easiest way to fix sheetmetal. It takes all the pain out of pulling dents. Perfect for trail rigs IMO.

On the door top, take the door panel off the inside and see if you can gently push it back out. Use a block of wood, inflate a football in there just go easy. On the wheel well, the only good way is using a stud welded puller, body hammers and some know how. Short of that on the wheel well, I am not a fan of cutting access holes or using old school shoot and pull slide hammers. If I didn't have the welded stud, pullers and hammers...I give serious consideration to grinding off the paint, and reforming/floating that out with bondo. Holes in that area will ultimately bring our best friend Mr. Rust along.

Good stud guns will stick the studs so well that they always break or pull out a piece of sheet metal before coming loose. You do need to grind to bare metal.
If you are willing to paint, these are the easiest way to fix sheetmetal. It takes all the pain out of pulling dents. Perfect for trail rigs IMO.

I think a lot of the problem was that i was trying to pull out the end of a panel where it was supported and welded to a couple other peices, ie it was really thick behind where i was pulling, i dont think the studs really had a chance.

I think a lot of the problem was that i was trying to pull out the end of a panel where it was supported and welded to a couple other peices, ie it was really thick behind where i was pulling, i dont think the studs really had a chance.

Yeah it can be really difficult working in a corner like that. They make different gages of studs too. I'll use the heavy ones and put as many as I can fit along a crease and then pull them each a bit at a time, moving back and forth along the crease.

Most of your local car dealers will have a PDR (paintless dent repair) man they use from time to time on trade in vehicles. Here in KS we are blessed with them due to HAIL storms.

Piant less dent removal rocks! I use them almost everyday at the office.........Some times I say crap that was cheap and others I ask how do they live with yourself! Its not the dent that costs, its getting to it that costs.

Shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom