FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I am new to your board, just wanted to say hello.

I am thinking about buying a 89 FJ62. The interior is next to mint condition, the engine bay is very clean w/ 158k. The body is a little more rusty than I would prefer, but the mileage and the condition of the interior are begging me to buy. The guy wants $3500 which I think is fair. The AC works great by the way. The rust means I will need to replace the rocker panel on the passenger side by rear door, the back panels behind the rear wheel wells are fairly bad and the lower tailgate has some rust. Deal or no deal fellas? How much do think I should expect to pay for the body work? I saw a replacement rocker panel for $125 at cruiserparts.com so I know I can obtain the parts needed. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I need to sell my 91 extended cab 3.slow if I buy the FJ62. The best part is the wife has not shut me down......yet......:smokin:

Check to make sure the frame isn't rusty.

Does the engine run well? Is the tranny in good shape, shift nicely, etc.

Does everything work? 4W H/L, windows, etc.

Can you do a lot of the needed work? Body work can be real expensive if you need to pay somebody else to do it.

Actually, for many of us, doing your own work is the deal-breaker...without "free" labor, these trucks would be much harder to afford.

You can find lower milage rust free 62's for $5K or less. Once rust starts, it's hard to stop. I don't think I'd pay more than $2K, but how much lower would depend on the condition of the rest of the truck, and the extent of the rust.

i agree, the biggest problem for most cruiser owners is rust, mostly because it is so costly to repair. Whereas if the interior is trashed you tear everything out and rhino line it and put in some more comfortable seats, or if the engine is tired you rebuild it or put in a SBC.
You would have more fun finding one with a mint body and tired engine and then a getting a rusted out diesel cruiser from up north to swap in, or SBC, then paying for extensive bodywork.

I can do the body work that does not require cutting out the old rocker panel and welding the replacement into place. That was really what I was wanting to know about, the cost that can be associated with it.

The rest of the vehicle is in excellent condition, 4x4 etc. This will be the 5th 4x4 I have owned, (4Runner, Jeep Chereokee, Wrangler, Toy 91 Extended Cab) When I took it for a test drive I easily got up to 80mph, very smooth. The original owner was a nice quiet Asian American from Cleveland, I doubt if he ever mistreated the machince considering how solid and smoth everything works. Locking the hubs was easy w/ very little pressure required to lock the hubs. The under side of the truck was Ziebarted or what ever you wanna call it to prevent rust. There was some minor surface rust on the frame, no chunks came off when I hit w/ a hammer in some different spots. If I have trouble reparing the rust on the tail gate I may just take it off and replace it w/ salvage or new, although the new ones are a little spendy. Well, gotta go play some poker. Thanks for the replies.

It's all labor, there are no repair panels any more...at least not from ccot. Best way to handle it would be to buy a 110 mig and learn how to use it.

the price is all in the eye of the beholder.

i got my truck for 3500 and have some rust in the rear quarter panels but thats about it. it runs a lil rough but the interior is good. body WAS mostly dent free since i have added some rocker damage and some scratch marks down the sides. lifted it bigger tires ect. some people would not pay but 2500 for my truck others would prolly pay 5k. either way i love the rig and think what i paid is reasonable for what i got.

It's all labor, there are no repair panels any more...at least not from ccot. Best way to handle it would be to buy a 110 mig and learn how to use it.

There are other resources for parts. Look around. Do some internet searches.

A great place I found for hard to find parts is GUP.com (Get Used Parts).

Got a very low mileage 3fe engine for $1800.00 (shipped from Texas) with a 6 month warranty:)

Just look around.

Sounds like a good buy. I paid 3600 for mine.

Thanks,

I have decided to buy the Cruiser after talking w/ my wife. I am turning 30 on the 30th so I see it as a B-Day present to myself. I will post pictures later this month. The sickness begins.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom