Removing the rear heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Threads
Question about what to do with the hoses when removing the rear heater. I am getting my FJ40 ready for the summer and since I have never used the rear heater in 7 years of ownership, it is going to go.

Do I just remove the hoses and cap the inlet an outlet? I was thinking of capping both with a short loop of heater hose, so coolant would still circulate. I am keeping the in-dash heater box, though I never use that either.

Thanks

I just conected both the hoses to each other so they would still flow/circulate, suspect they are other ways that work

Heater removal

Andrew,

I have the two "tee-less" heater tubes available if you want to swap them out. They don't have any insulation on them, but they're clean and solid. I was going to throw them up on eBay, but have been too lazy. Let me know if you're interested.

Andy, look in the help section of the local autozone, (at least thats where I found mine) for rubber caps, like a hose just with an end to it.

Sorry to highjack the therad, but if one is not running the rear heater are there any subsitutions for the heater control value that will work besides the stock one (I need to repalce mine), but will be only running a front heater.

Last edited:
I was thinking of capping both with a short loop of heater hose, so coolant would still circulate. I am keeping the in-dash heater box, though I never use that either.

That's what I did. Put the tuffy console in. Love the whole setup.

Andy, look in the help section of the local autozone, (at least thats where I found mine) for rubber caps, like a hose just with an end to it.

Brilliant-That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks Dave-see you at Rubithon.

whats the condition of the rear heater... i wouldn't mind taking off your hands..

Question about what to do with the hoses when removing the rear heater. I am getting my FJ40 ready for the summer and since I have never used the rear heater in 7 years of ownership, it is going to go.

Do I just remove the hoses and cap the inlet an outlet? I was thinking of capping both with a short loop of heater hose, so coolant would still circulate. I am keeping the in-dash heater box, though I never use that either.

Thanks

I would cap the tees, a hose connected to the tees will allow coolant to circulate and lower the front heater efficiency.

I would be interested in purchasing the rear heater tubes and tees from you, if they are for sale....

I just put a bolt that was a snug fit in each hose at the firewall and cinched them tight with a hose clamp. They were aircraft bolts with a short thread length and a long grip length (smooth part) and I put the clamp on where the smooth shaft is. No problems in the last 27 years. Front heater still works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom