are Euro spec headlights really a wise upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chris777

TLCA member #12444
Threads
Website
mannphoto.com
this is why I ask.... Just found out that the reason they put more light on the road is that because they don't try to shine any light upward to light up overhead road signs, because in Europe, all those signs are lit, or are super reflective.

I think it is important to see those signs at night. So will it be more difficult to see those signs with a Hella or Cibie H4?

here is where I read that:
http://www.rallylights.com/useful_info/Vision_Plus.htm

So will it be more difficult to see those signs with a Hella or Cibie H4?

No. They throw less light upwards, but more than none. The only issue is that they're not technically legal. No one will ever check unless you get caught using >100w off-road lights on the road. Cops will usually pull you over to check you out for that.

Just pick up a pair of IPF round headlamp inserts, 920H, and call it good.

Yes they are better. No they do not leave darkness above you. No cops will not stop you and check your lights. Any technical legality is based on local ordinances. In many places they are completely legal to install in your own vehicle. Yes you will see much better.

Mark...

Chris,

I'm running H4's with the 60/55 bulbs in them. They're substantially better at lighting things up than the mass-produced sealed beams, and I have no problem seeing signs at night. Go for it!

Only drawback I can think of would be submerging them in water crossings, which I haven't tried yet. Mr. Whatley would be a much better source of information re. that. :)

ok, so would you recommend the 60/55 bulbs? would going with something stronger bother oncoming traffic, or make it more likely that you get pulled over?

can't seem to find a source for the Cibies. that Cibie sourse at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html isn't good. there is no shopping online, no phone number, and he hasn't replied to my email in a couple of days. so he's out. any other sources here in the US?

An easier alternative is to go down to your local AZ, AA, PB and pick off the shelf two silverstar sealed beam easy as crap to replace without modification for like 20-25 dollars each. If you need more light than that then your gonna blind someone coming the other way. I have yet to find someone who replaced them that wasn't happy. (I'm sure to eat those words):D

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/Silverstar

I have the IPF setup

I'm with Poser on this...pick up the IPFs. Although I've heard the Cibie's are "better".

What I like about the IPFs is they throw a ton of light on the road, and each lens has like a 15 degree 'turn-up' on the right side of the light pattern that shoots the light directly on the side-road signs. I have the 70/65 bulbs in my 40 and 60...man! they are great. the High beams are killer. By that I mean...be nice, be sure to kick them down with oncoming traffic. they are BRIGHT.

HTH

Hmmm...I never researched the IPF's, but if they've got the Euro-style beam cutoff with a good light pattern and the advantage of being sealed, that'd be worth checking out...

no down side at all.

carefull though, some lights sold as E-codes are not E-codes....such as the IPF....but they are great lights non the less, I run 2-3 set of them.

Dont know how good/bad the sealed beams you got are, i would at least keep them for deepwater driving.

I got Hella Lights in my rig and 100/55 watt bulbs.

H4-without parking light 1A6 002 395 - 031

H4- with parking light 1A6 002 395 - 071

An easier alternative is to go down to your local AZ, AA, PB and pick off the shelf two silverstar sealed beam easy as crap to replace without modification for like 20-25 dollars each. If you need more light than that then your gonna blind someone coming the other way. I have yet to find someone who replaced them that wasn't happy. (I'm sure to eat those words):D

I have silverstar bulbs in my '96 Impala. They are certainly better than 'normal' bulbs and probably worth the money. The euro housings for an impala are $500 or something ridiculous.

The sharp pattern cutoff of the Cibies and IPF housings (they look identical to me) will allow you to run 80/100 bulbs on the street without attracting any undue attention. They are very bright and satisfying if you're afraid of the dark. Twice as bright as the silverstars, I'd say. I like to add a pair of 100w driving lights to the high beams too. :)

FWIW....

Daniel Stern is a great resource and really knows his stuff. You do need to call him to order, kinda refreshing acutally. He wants to talk with you about what your needs are, and will guide you in the right direction. I got my OSRAM 70/65 bulbs from him just a few weeks ago. They were like $19 each.

Also...a good (read cheap) place to buy the IPF globes is from 4 Wheel Supply. (not 4wheelparts). They are by far the cheapest I've seen. like $31 each.

If you do this, do the harness upgrade. I got the IPF one...literally, plug and play - took me less that 40min. to install the harness, bulbs and globes and clean up.

HTH

after a lot of looking around, I am sold on the IPFs. Now I am just trying to decide on the right bulb.

the IPF FatBoy runs off OEM harness drawing only 60 watts, but they claim it throws out the equivalent of 180 watts on low beam and 150 watts on high beam. they say that it never bothers oncoming cars because the light's lens doesn't allow the light to stray at all above a certain height. Still concerned that they would cause cops to pull ya over with at least a warning. but maybe a lot more people are out there with the new bright lights than I realize. They sell some Magic J lights that output 110w on high, and 80w on low (while only using 60w (no need for new wiring). However, they glow blue when you turn your lights out, which sounds kinda... uh... gimmicky, especially for a tough old truck.

had 55/100 bulbs in e-code h4's for years - love em.

if you just run a 2 or 4 relay set up you will be amassed at how bright your light are when they get a full 14 volts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom