Bolt ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone ID these bolts for me…. They are aprox. 4" long

When I got done putting together my bellhousing I had these left… I am not sure if they were just sitting on my bench and got mixed in with the bag of bellhousing bolts, I am pretty good about not mixing up bolts from parts as I was careful to seperate everything (that is why I am worried)… I do know I was taking some things off my other engine to bring in for the engine builder and was in a hurry and just set them on the bench or what…. So it might be from that…

Thanks!!!

IMG_1453.jpg
IMG_1454.jpg

Warning!!

Those are the rear main bearing cap bolts. You removed or loosened all 4 of them when installing the rear seal. now there are 2 left on the workbench. :eek:

Take a close look at the rear main cap to verify there are 4 bolts in it and they are torqued to 85 ft/lbs.

Head bolts? On my older F engines that do not have the hooks to pull the engine I've used a home made piece that is a chain and a bracket at each end I used. Are two bolts missing fromm your head?

John

hahahha!!! okay well that is 2 totally different answers... LITP the only reason I dont think it is head bolts is I think all the bolts are in my 74 engine now... for sure they are in my 76 that is in the truck...

here are bigger pics.... sorry about the last ones being so small
IMG_1453.jpg
IMG_1454.jpg

Warning!!

Those are the rear main bearing cap bolts. You removed or loosened all 4 of them when installing the rear seal. now there are 2 left on the workbench. :eek:

Take a close look at the rear main cap to verify there are 4 bolts in it and they are torqued to 85 ft/lbs.

I dont have to pull the engine now again do I..... can you see what I am looking for in this pic???
Rear main.jpg

The bolt bosses are visible on either side of the crank.

There are no bolts in that picture.

The enhanced photo shows where the two main cap bolts should be.

also highlighted are the 4 inner bellhousing bolt holes, which should have bolts in them as well.
Rear main.jpg

also highlighted are the 4 inner bell housing bolt holes, which should have bolts in them as well.

on these four don’t they hold the tranny on to the bell housing.... I think I have those in a separate bag labeled for that.... or am I way off!! :confused:

Thank you so much!!!!! :beer: (beers on me!!)

Warning!!

Aren't there 2 torque settings on the rear main cap? 1 for over the bearing and 1 for over the seal?

Aren't there 2 torque settings on the rear main cap? 1 for over the bearing and 1 for over the seal?

No.

All four bolts are the same value, which is lower than the other three main caps.

on these four don’t they hold the tranny on to the bell housing.... I think I have those in a separate bag labeled for that.... or am I way off!! :confused:
You're a little ways off.
There are 4 bolts that hold the trans to the BH, they are fine thread.

There are 4 coarse bolts inside the BH and two on the top outside the BH that thread into the back of the engine block, holding the BH to the block.
A total of 6 identical coarse bolts.

ok.... I am not looking at it now but I have 4 bolts holding the BH to the block now for sure... I put them in myself... and I put those in before I put the engine on the frame. so I have 4 in there.... and I am 2 course bolts short is what you are saying.........

Thank you again for helping a new guy!!!!

I looked this moring and I have 4 bolts on the inside of the BH and 2 on the outside holding it on to the block... so that should be correct! Thank you guys again and again and again!!! saved me from pulling this thing all apart again!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom