Lift installed, cruiser pulls hard to the left? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished installing my ome lift with man a fre extended shackles and now my cruiser is pulling hard to the left. Am I missing some critical steering drop drag link or something?

Thanks

When you brake it pulls hard or just all the time. Its best advised to get a alignment when you do a suspention change because it changes the stearing angle all the way to the stearing wheel. This however has nothing to do with pulling. Take it in and get it aligned that should resolve your issue.

Extended sway bar end links(if not already done) and porbably an alingment. Search on here for the quickie at home alingment. Oh and if you tightened down your shackles and spring pins with the rig in the air that might be screwin' with ya. Good luck.

It pulls all the time, and to drive straight down the road I have to hold the steering wheel way off center. I'll take it in for an allignment tomorrow.

another thing to check is a pinched brake hard line on the axle. more than likely is the alignment.

It pulls all the time, and to drive straight down the road I have to hold the steering wheel way off center. I'll take it in for an allignment tomorrow.

Your drag link needs to be longer from the lift, especially with your SUA. You can probably just adjust that yourself, put the wheels straight and turn the drag link till the wheel is straight.

-Matt

Your drag link needs to be longer from the lift, especially with your SUA. You can probably just adjust that yourself, put the wheels straight and turn the drag link till the wheel is straight.

-Matt

Cool, I'll try adjusting it tonight. Will I be able to just adjust the one I have, or will Ineed something longer? it's only a 4" lift.

You should be able to adjust what you have. It shouldnt take that much. Mine was 90 deg off and it was just a few turns.

Sorry, but I'm a total newbie at this. What exactly would I adjust? Maybe someone could get me a picture. I'm 90 degrees off, too.

Thanks!

Sorry, but I'm a total newbie at this. What exactly would I adjust? Maybe someone could get me a picture. I'm 90 degrees off, too.

You want to loosen the clamps on each end of on the link attached to the steering box and twist it so when your wheels are straight the steering wheel is aligned too. Also when you put on extended shackles the caster angle changes which they will measure when you get an alignment. If the caster angle is out of spec. you might want to installed some caster shims to correct the angle so it tracks better down the road.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/in...GQshV6f2n1Q40GNPnqKFdlSmJvvxmnKZQJmcTfnJMZhLJ

I installed 4 degree castor shims allready. As for the steering link, are you talking about the small arm connected directly to the steering box (I think it's called a pitman arm) or the longer arm that runs parallel to the axle with the steering stabalizer connected to it?

thanks

I installed 4 degree castor shims allready. As for the steering link, are you talking about the small arm connected directly to the steering box (I think it's called a pitman arm) or the longer arm that runs parallel to the axle with the steering stabalizer connected to it?

thanks
The longer arm that runs parallel to the axle with the steering stabalizer connected to it.

If it's pulling all the time there is something about how the axle got aligned when the lift was installed. Having the steering wheel be off is normal, and an easy fix. Having a constant pull is abnormal. I'd check to make sure the springs are seated right, the spring pin is firmly in the hole in the axle, the u-bolts are right, etc.

Fixing the steering wheel can be done in either of two ways:
1. Lengthening the drag link.
2. Pull the wheel, and recenter.

make sure you put them on both correctly. I believe that the pin is not in the center of the spring and if one side is backward then the axle will not be on straight

Well, I took my cruiser in for the front end allignment, and they advised against any castor shims for this amount of lift, and I talked to a tech (not a sales person) at man a fre, and he said the same thing. So I'll be taking those 4 degree shims as soon as I get a few free minutes. Thanks for all the help.

Not exactly. The guys at the alignment shop told me to remove the 4 degree castor shims because that's where the wandering was coming from, and I readjusted the bar that aligns the steering wheel so now when I drive down the road, thoigh I still have to hold on to the wheel (no starbucks cups here), at least I'm holding it straight. However, there is still a wierd pulling. No brake issues, and I've played with swapping tires (which are 35x12.50). I'm going to live with it for now.

the wheels still centered in the wheel wells?? (both sides the same)
The lift would offset your steering wheel, but it shoudl not make it pull..

The caster shims will make it track better, not worse..

More caster will make it WANT to drive straight..

Not exactly. The guys at the alignment shop told me to remove the 4 degree castor shims.

Did he show you the spec. for it to be in alignment? What did they measure as your caster angle? I would think with the shackles you would want some shim but maybe 4 was way to much and taking them out put you closer but not completely in spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom