3B fan, cold engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mechanical fan: YES :)

(at least in my experience)

Last edited:
what is the diff between a fan with and without clutch and the pros and cons of each? My 83 BJ42 has no clutch fan but if it is better can I put one on? Does yours have a clutch?

The clutch fan free spins when the engine is warming up, and only drives when things start getting hot (when working properly) therefore saving the engine from wasting horsepower (and fuel) driving the fan when it doesn't need it. When your engine is idling, you should be able to stop the fan while it is free wheeling, but I wouldn't recomend doing so:doh:;p:cheers:

Is this a good thing to have on my BJ42 that did not come with one? Am I able to install one on my water pump?

In my opinion a cluch fan is far better than a fixed fan (when working properly);) I'm not sure, but I think the mounting flange on the water pump is different between the two types. Maybe someone else will know for sure.:cheers:

Is this a good thing to have on my BJ42 that did not come with one? Am I able to install one on my water pump?

I personally would not bother putting on a clutch fan.

Even clutch fans rob HP. If you want to free up some horsepower go to electric fan set up. A buddy of mine did that on a 4runner. Worked pretty nice. His 4runner has a 22re engine, and he said he felt the power change.

If look on here many guys also pull the clutch fan and istall a fix one too. They say it cools better and is more reliable. As the clutch fans need rebuilds once and awhile.

I personally would not bother putting on a clutch fan.

Even clutch fans rob HP. If you want to free up some horsepower go to electric fan set up. .

Where does an electric fan get its HP from:rolleyes: :D

Where does an electric fan get its HP from:rolleyes: :D

Where do you want your HP?

On the highway the electric fan will shut off and you won't have the spinning of the fan robbing any power.

When you are going slow the fan will kick on and cycle on and off. Not always turning no matter what speed you are doing.

The only reason I would not install an electric fan is for simplicity. I like simple, and my mechanical fan is simple.

Yah yah the electric fan loads the alternator and also robs power. But not when your doing 110 kph.

Are we all talking about toyota diesels? Power? whats that? am I missing something?

yah it's because your fan is sucking it all away... :lol:

Does anybody out there can provide me with electric fan information/website. For me I would like to hv 1 since some of the route involves water crossing.

Anything attached to a moving part leeches some power - like an alternator, a/c compressor, fan etc., but I think it is nominal for a clutch fan. I personally like clutch fans, i just bought a new clutch and fan and tossed the fixed fan on my 1hz - I cross water so dont want a fixed fan, I also have never had a problem with clutch fans. The new fan is much bigger than the fixed fan that was on i originally - lots more wind off it.

Keep your engine tuned, rad clean, thermostat functional and you can run either type with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom