Another perspective on rear storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My system comes with the second option you show. I have been very happy with them. I enough ground holders are placed it will offer you a variety of tie down scenario's that will cover almost any need at least that I have run into. The build looks awesome keep updating please.

Looks similar to what I'm planning - though I'm not interested in removing the middle seats at this time. Something similar to that first tiedown is what I want to use as well. Where did you find it? And how do you intend to attach the whole thing to the floor - Drill new holes? Remove thge seat hardware and use those holes? Attach to the seat hardware somehow?

I will be holding the whole thing down by bolting it to the stock seat bolt holes. I just got some longer bolts to make up for the extra thickness. The flat plate in the picture is an Ancra 45849-13 but the one I will use looks a little cleaner (totally smooth on the upper surface). I will be getting these from a supplier called Allegis.

Looks like nice work. We recently completed one in birch also - a partial width section to leave room for a future fridge, making a knockdown platform to expand for sleeping room.

Could you tell us the source and PN for that good looking latch? Thanks.

Thanks, is yours the one with the folding front section? I may do the same thing. The latches I'm using are by SOUTHCO. I don't know the model #'s but I can get them when I'm at work. You can get them fom McMasterCarr or Allegis.

My system comes with the second option you show. I have been very happy with them. I enough ground holders are placed it will offer you a variety of tie down scenario's that will cover almost any need at least that I have run into. The build looks awesome keep updating please.

You have the Ancra "nub" type? I really like the way they look and function but I worry that there may be times when they'd be in the way keeping something from laying flat on top of them?

There's not much visual progress but I've been routering, sanding, assembling and doing a little bondo prep work for the Line-X step:D
2-13-07 003.jpg
2-13-07 004.jpg

Looks great! Do you have a source for those handles? Thanks

Looks great! Do you have a source for those handles? Thanks

Thanks, Southco makes these latches in at least 3 sizes, different finishes as well as with or without locks. I get them from a supplier called Allegis or McMasterCarr http://www.mcmaster.com/
(letter E at the bottom of page 2904)

I wish I had the skills to do something like that.

Is your bottom piece of plywood thicker than your top piece or is that an optical illusion?

A little of both. It is thicker, but only along the front (rear of vehicle) edge. With the bottom of the box flat on the floor and level to the interior body line, it is actually a little above the steel strip across the bottom of the rear hatch opening. I filled in this gap with stairstepped strip, giving the illusion of being thicker. The base is 1/2" ply.

A little of both. It is thicker, but only along the front (rear of vehicle) edge. With the bottom of the box flat on the floor and level to the interior body line, it is actually a little above the steel strip across the bottom of the rear hatch opening. I filled in this gap with stairstepped strip, giving the illusion of being thicker. The base is 1/2" ply.

Very well done. I like how you have kept it lower for more space and sleeping. I use a Simmons Beautyrest full size futon mattress (I roll it up when not in use) over my shallow box and it is a very good night sleep. I also like the latch handles on your drawers.

Very well done. I like how you have kept it lower for more space and sleeping. I use a Simmons Beautyrest full size futon mattress (I roll it up when not in use) over my shallow box and it is a very good night sleep. I also like the latch handles on your drawers.

Thanks, I'm a little jealous of those who can devote more height to their storage systems but with the dogs and a similar desire to get a good nights sleep, we all have to pick out our own compromises:)

Thanks, I'm a little jealous of those who can devote more height to their storage systems but with the dogs and a similar desire to get a good nights sleep, we all have to pick out our own compromises:)

That's looking great. I'll order two ;) . I have two goldens, and had a shelf in the back of my Trooper (drawers are on the list for the 80). They loved it and actually rode better with it in cause they were able to lay down and still see out the window.

My biggest compromise was the decision to omit drawers to conserve storage space and weight. I wrestled with doing what you've done, but I ended up using a lexan bin and tool boxes that fit tightly. This gave me a very strong sleep platform with less wood and more storage while retaining access during the use of the sleep platform. However, when the sleep platform is in use it is more difficult to reach the jack box which is located behind my storage between the wheel wells. This should rarely be a problem, but when it is I will just have to deal with it.

I had a bass box with two concealed 12's, firing down and forward, between the 2nd row seats and the jack box. I am scraping that set up for something that is lighter and will give me more storage space.(1 woofer enclosed in the rear quarter and an old school Fosgate 150hd amp bridged as well as a high powered head unit so I can ditch the 25lbs worth of overkill amps I was using).

I have removed the hinges on the 2nd row seats which lowered the fronts close to 2 inches, but they are easily removeable. You have given me the inspiration to develop a modular alternative to having the 2nd row seats in favor of more storage space and weight savings. Thanks!

Looks nice man! When i can talk the wife into letting me ditch the 3rd row seats i am gonna do one similar to yours! I like the line-x idea also, it may add some weight but i think it will far out last just stained wood! Good job!

You have the Ancra "nub" type? I really like the way they look and function but I worry that there may be times when they'd be in the way keeping something from laying flat on top of them?

Yup dats what I have and I havn't really had any problem such as being able to lay things flat. You have a real opportunity here since you can lay them out anywhere you want. Just try to pre-plan what types of loads you will most frequently carry and place them accordingly. As for being able to load things and keep them flat I think you will find that you kinda learn to pack around them as you need to Just 02.

Well I've been tinkering a little every night but not too much visual progress. I got all of the surfaces that I'm not going to Line-X painted black. I'm in the home stretch on the rear section of the box. I've got it back in my truck for some final checks before going to Line-X.

I'm also doing the fab work for the steel supports for the tie down hooks. I've decided to do the flush mount ones with the ring that flips up. When I get them they'll be silver but I'm going to powdercoat them black. I'm doing three along each side in the rear for a total of six. The top cover of the box wouldn't provide enough structural support for them by itself. I am making steel supports for each of the tie down hooks by making a platform right under the surface of the box top and building down to whatever is most appropriate.

For the very rear ones, it was really easy. Just a plate through bolted to the metal floor and some square stock for a spacer. The center locations are a little trickier as I've decided to utilize the third row seat bolt locations. For the far forward locations, I'm going to have to cut holes in the wheelwell carpet (which I was hoping to not have to do)as well as fab brackets up there too.

Here are a couple of pics of my progress:
2-13-07 006.jpg
2-13-07 008.jpg
2-13-07 010.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, I was hoping my thread was just going to hibernate until summer:D . Actually I've been doing other stuff but am about to start making progress again as I "have" to get this done for CM07. Too many projects, too little time:crybaby: . Updates to come
Edit: I've reviewed my pics and have a few more for now. First, I had a hard time sourcing the bolts to hold the box down to the stock rear seat holes. I then made my own countersunk washers so the box will be secure yet the hardware will sit flush under the drawers. I also relieved and countersunk the holes for my hardware. I also decided to have the entire front solid so I had to add some "ears".
2-13-07 020.jpg
2-13-07 021.jpg
2-13-07 022.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one of the washers I made/modified as well as a couple of the supports for the cargo tie downs:
fotka.jpg
2-13-07 026.jpg
2-13-07 028.jpg

Wow, nice job with the supports. Decidedly more high tech than my simple wood blocks, yours look bombproof. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom