JDM 3B BJ73 - Turboing worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1988 JDM BJ73, so I think it has the 3BII. So from what I understand, I can't just flip my manifold because it might pop through the hood and I can't use a 13BT manifold because it won't fit.

I have no skills in welding whatsoever to fab my own manifold... Do you think I have a chance or should I just leave it as is?

A turbo is worth it but in your case it won't be easy. I have a rotary pump 3B (maybe a 3BII but I don't know). I have a 13B-T manifold and I'll know if it works in 2-3 weeks when I get back to Guatemala where my FJ45LV 3B project is.

A turbo is worth it but in your case it won't be easy. I have a rotary pump 3B (maybe a 3BII but I don't know). I have a 13B-T manifold and I'll know if it works in 2-3 weeks when I get back to Guatemala where my FJ45LV 3B project is.

I think the FJ45 has more room underneath the hood compared to a BJ73 doesn't it?

From the threads about turbo 3b, the pictures showed quite a bit of room underneath.. the BJ is slightly more cramped inside

I think the FJ45 has more room underneath the hood compared to a BJ73 doesn't it?

Yap .. hou have enough room under the hood ( FJ45 ) to allow a 6 bangger with not to allow 4BT or 3B-T

Use this..................v
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=133833&highlight=3bII+turbo

Call an importing company for parts, such as GandScruiser parts, or Japan4x4, or Mot....etc... They should be able to track one of these bad boys for you.

Also Crushers made an adapter for the 13b-t manifold to the 3bII. He might have more to sell.

Use this..................v
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=133833&highlight=3bII+turbo

Call an importing company for parts, such as GandScruiser parts, or Japan4x4, or Mot....etc... They should be able to track one of these bad boys for you.

Also Crushers made an adapter for the 13b-t manifold to the 3bII. He might have more to sell.

interesting!

I'll look into maybe ordering one of those.

As I just performed my first oil change, do you think there's a lot of skill involved in turboing? Skills that exceed my level?

I tend to be a bit clumsy with tools :(

interesting!

I'll look into maybe ordering one of those.

As I just performed my first oil change, do you think there's a lot of skill involved in turboing? Skills that exceed my level?

I tend to be a bit clumsy with tools :(

Depends.....

I think most people can handle these kinds of jobs. But, how fast do you need your truck driveable again?

If it takes a week so figuring it all out, and you have a second car, why not? I would give it a try.

Also depends where you live, you might find a great shop willing to give it a go for you for not too much $$. But the idea if a junkyard turbo is DIY.

Depends.....

I think most people can handle these kinds of jobs. But, how fast do you need your truck driveable again?

If it takes a week so figuring it all out, and you have a second car, why not? I would give it a try.

Also depends where you live, you might find a great shop willing to give it a go for you for not too much $$. But the idea if a junkyard turbo is DIY.

Yeah, I have a second car. I'm just always afraid to break something during the install and something going catastrophically wrong.

1988 could be 3bII or not. You need to check before you do much planning. If it is a 3BII. The manifold in this thread and brownbear's adapter would get you cooking.

The only way that I know it is a 3BII, is that it has a rotary pump. On the metal plate underneath the hood, it says 3B. not sure if they would say 3BII if it was though

The only way that I know it is a 3BII, is that it has a rotary pump. On the metal plate underneath the hood, it says 3B. not sure if they would say 3BII if it was though

Pretty much all JDM 3Bs got the rotary pump. It's not a good indicator.

Look at the pattern on the exhaust manifold and compare that to the thread I mentioned above. You can see the difference in the manifolds.

Look at the pattern on the exhaust manifold and compare that to the thread I mentioned above. You can see the difference in the manifolds.

I checked the exhaust manifold, I think it looks more like the 13BT manifold. It doesn't have the extra triangle notch that goes in at the end. Though i couldn't see clearly, there was a metal plate in the way, i had to feel inside for the extra bit.

I cant remember if the 3BII is cast into the block or not. The 3B is cast below the intake manifold, above the edic

I also found 3B cast into the side of the block below the intake manifold.

So I have a 3B and not a 3BII? :doh:

Looking at it again, there seems to be a lot of stuff in the way, like the throttle cables and a reservoir of some sort bolted to the back which might get in the way, I dunno how big the turbo will be though

So where do you live?

Crushers here has turbo'd a few JDMs on here, so you might be able to buy him a slice of pizza and get his info on it...If you live in Calgary.

But others may be able to chime in.

So where do you live?

Crushers here has turbo'd a few JDMs on here, so you might be able to buy him a slice of pizza and get his info on it...If you live in Calgary.

But others may be able to chime in.

I live in BC in the greater vancouver area.

body lift to clear the intake pipe. Installing a turbo isnt bad, if its bought, a little trickier if you build it yourself. You should have pulled the oil pan and installed a bung with a plug in it when you changed the oil last.:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom