Good Engine Rebuild Price (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ArmyFJ

Lookin’ for mud in all the wrong places.
GOLD Star
Threads
I am looking into getting my 350 TPI rebuilt. I was quoted 1500 for a long block rebuild...seemed a little high to me. What do you guys think?

Also any of you guys in the Oregon area done one. I might feel capable of doing it if I could get some advice, real time help. I haven't really ever gone in that far to an engine before and I would be a little worried about the damage I might cause.

Matthew

Rebuild it yourself.

Get this book here

Pick up a Jegs or Summit Racing magazine and have fun. It's not hard.
Research the components of the engine and build it for low end torque, crate engine are for hot rods, with their top numbers in the 3000 to 5000 RPM range. Have often does a 40 need power there?

If done right, your SBC will make a 2F's low end torque chump change.

You can go to a chevy dealer and buy a brand new engine for $1,800. This is not a 5-Star rebuild but a entire new 350 crate engine.

You can bolt your own TBI stuff to it.

His TPI set up will not bolt up to the crate engine your referring to. IIRC, the heads on a TPI set up are different. You can swap the heads to the crate, but then you change the compression and the TPI set-up will have to be completely re-tuned. Also the cam is going to be a little big for his TPI. It will be a total PITA to put TPI on that engine.

His TPI set up will not bolt up to the crate engine your referring to. IIRC, the heads on a TPI set up are different. You can swap the heads to the crate, but then you change the compression and the TPI set-up will have to be completely re-tuned. Also the cam is going to be a little big for his TPI. It will be a total PITA to put TPI on that engine.

I did not know that.

I thought you could bolt the intake mainfold and all the TBI to the crate engine.

ArmyFJ - Sorry for the bad advice.

The price is relative to the quality of parts used, and the quality of machine work done (not all machine shops are created equal, not even CLOSE).. if you pay peanuts that is what you will generally get.. when you start breaking down all the work needed for a quality rebuild, your looking at line bore, line hone usually cyl. boring, cyl. hone, decking, resurface on the heads, balance on the bottom end.. these things and more can really spend the price upward if you want it done right..

I dont know anyone who was ever sorry for doing it right.. but I am sure we all know plenty of people who ended up sorry they didnt do it right..

I did not know that.

I thought you could bolt the intake mainfold and all the TBI to the crate engine.

ArmyFJ - Sorry for the bad advice.

If it was TBI, you would be correct.

TPI is quite different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom