Uut oh... that didn't sound good... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Coolerman

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.globalsoftware-inc.com
Having never pulled a Cruiser engine before, I made a couple of, uhh, 'errors'. I read somewhere on here to get a 29" section of chain and some hooks for the hoist. No problem, had that laying around. I installed the two engine lift hooks I had acquired and placed the hooks over them with the chain. My first mistake was I positioned the lift hook in the middle of the chain.

hoist1.jpg

This at the time seemed logical. Engine weighs 700 lbs, and tranny/T-case weighs what lbs? So chain in the middle should lift level. Well it doesn't! I did not notice how bad the tilt was until the engine jumped forward as it came off the mounts scaring the crap out of me!

hoist3.jpg

I tried to put it back on the mounts to reposition the hook but it was too late, by myself there was no way to do it... Sooo.... I ended up attaching a ratchet rope to the tail end of the tranny and to the hoist to help level it a bit.

hoist5.jpg

Last edited:
Next I raised the hoist to it's upper limit to get the T-case to clear then rolled the frame out from under it. Let me tell you THAT was scary! Seeing that much weight that high with me trying to keep it stable.... Not good... Got to say though the HF hoist flexed very little. I had it extended to the 1.5 ton hole on the boom and though it looked mighty unstable in fact it wasn't. On sale this week for $149.00! Soon as I got the engine clear I lowered it to the floor and repositioned the hook! I then raised it just off the floor so I could start pulling the T-case and tranny out.

EngineOut.jpg

Now having just spent all my money on the hoist and engine stand I sure was not going to go buy the special puller I needed to separate the T-case from the tranny. Like any good Mudder I did a search or two and found that in some cases the T-case just slide right off! Yeah, and tomorrow I'll win the lottery... Next I found where someone tied the engine to a pole and used another vehicle tied to the T-case to try to pull them apart. (Didn't work) Finally I read where someone fashioned wedges from 2 X 4's and drove them between the
two to get them apart. Bingo! I had a pack of shims which were soon pressed into service. The T-case would slide back about 1/4" then stop but this was enough to get the shims started. Lots of beating and it started to move!

RemovingTCase1.jpg

RemovingTCase2.jpg

I didn't think this would actually work... Well now we get to mistake #3 which may be more serious. As the case was coming apart that little voice in your head we all hate was saying, "Pssssst! You! Uh isn't there something you are supposed to watch out for? Like a gear or bearing falling out?" Like everyone else, I ignored the voice and kept pounding. Of course what the voice was trying to tell me was the rear bearing and output shaft in the tranny were being pulled out along with the T-case.... About the time it registered I heard what sounded like needle bearings hitting the bottom of the tranny case! :crybaby: Oh well, guess I get to learn how that damn
three speed works after all... As I take stuff apart I'll be documenting it on my web site so stay tuned.... Let the jokes begin! ;)

Last edited:
Rebuilding a 3 speed tranny is kinda fun!

The hook on my hoist has a narrow throat, so when I put it on the chain it fits between the fore and aft links and doesn't slide.

done that before use a lot of grease to hold the needle bearings in when you put it together unless you get your 4 speed good luck

Never a dull moment, is there! I hate that little voice... it's always right.:crybaby: Glad ya survived!

done that before use a lot of grease to hold the needle bearings in when you put it together unless you get your 4 speed good luck

Well good! At least I didn't come up with a new fawk up!

It will be a while before I get to the tranny. Guess I need a gasket kit for it and the t-case. (I have a large order I'm building for a couple of vendors. Maybe I should bid it out! :D Anyone know if Marks Offroad has a fax # I could fax an order to? ) Both are in good shape far as I can tell.

Going to clean up the the engine first then media blast the rest of the frame then go through the tranny/t-case.

Rebuilding a 3 speed tranny is kinda fun!

The hook on my hoist has a narrow throat, so when I put it on the chain it fits between the fore and aft links and doesn't slide.

What I really needed was one of those leveler gizmos. HF did not have one. The brown hook you see is off my Scott-Weyth hand winch. It also has a narrow throat to hold the chain link. Probably the only thing that saved me from a messy accident...

once you fix it the rear shaft will come out easy. transfer case holds it in so be careful or you will gain lots of experiance installing needle bearings again good luck

hey cooler man there is a wrecked 78 in the part out section in cincinati guy is selling the 4 speed and t case doesnt have a price hope this helps

Use a longer chain next time. If you run the numbers on the side loads that an angle like that subjects your engine hooks to, you will be amazed. I' surprised you didn't bend them. Longer chain will make for a much steeper angle which will keep the loading a lot more reasonable.

Mark...

Coolerman...I've got a 4sp bellhousing here in cincy...I'm headed down your way this weekend if you need it CHEAP

Coolerman...I've got a 4sp bellhousing here in cincy...I'm headed down your way this weekend if you need it CHEAP
Works for me! Whats cheap? :D Be happy to meet you somewhere? I live just off Man-O-War so can be anywhere in Lex in minutes.

Thanks!

Use a longer chain next time. If you run the numbers on the side loads that an angle like that subjects your engine hooks to, you will be amazed. I' surprised you didn't bend them. Longer chain will make for a much steeper angle which will keep the loading a lot more reasonable.

Mark...

You called it exactly... It did bend the front hook slightly ;)

Next time I do this, I'll have a bigger, longer chain, with a load leveler and a helper. I'm learning just takes me a while sometimes. :D

Be careful with those engine stands too. One of my old ones just tore the metal like a bannana. The long block is pretty heavy and extends the moment arm significantly more than a V8.

Works for me! Whats cheap? :D Be happy to meet you somewhere? I live just off Man-O-War so can be anywhere in Lex in minutes.

Thanks!

Cheap= 12 pack of Bud or 12 pack of Sierra nevada Pale ale...NO BUD LIGHT ;)
PM me your number are you gonna be around on Sunday? I'll be in Lex probably early afternoon. I'm playing golf in harrodsburg.

Be careful with those engine stands too. One of my old ones just tore the metal like a banana. The long block is pretty heavy and extends the moment arm significantly more than a V8.

Though the engine stand is from HF, I gotta admit it is pretty stable! I have seen some pics posted here where the engine is actually tilted WAY down due to flex in the stand but this stand holds it almost straight out. I have moved the engine around the garage quite a bit (one car garage FULL of Cruiser parts) and while it wiggles a bit I don't have a fear it will fall over.

enginestand1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom