Need sources for DIY tire carrier parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for sources for misc. parts for building my bumper swing-outs. I need spindles, latches and spring pins.

I've looked at Slee spindles, they're pricey, especially since I'll need two. IPOR doesn't have pics of their parts up. Some articles on WildYoats list rocklogic4x4 as a source but I can't find a latch on their site.

Anybody got sources that you wouldn't think of normally? Parts tend to get marked up when they get into offroad vendors' hands. I've been searching but can't get any good hits on this type of stuff.

Absolute cheapest method would be to pull the hub and spindle off a small car. Weld the spindle to the bumper and cut the wheel attaching flange off and use a grinder to smooth it out. Then weld on what ever you want to it.

Same pieces but they will need lots of grinder work. All of that can be had at a junkyard.

True, I was looking for something that wouldn't be quite so space intensive. I've thought about a trailer spindle but am not sure what to use as the hub?

I did say I had looked at trailer spindles, I'm just not clear on how to do the hub portion. Normal tube? would it take bearings? Or would I have to pull the hub out of a trailer tire?

http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/fab/diy.shtml

Everything you need. I got the spindle assembly and it's real stout, 1.5in thick and It is way cheaper then the bearing assembly from Slee.

Brian

Yeah, I've looked at their site but it's kind of a turn off that they don't have pictures or specs on the products. I'd like to see what I'm getting before I order it. And yes, I followed your link. How about the latches and spring pins?

How about the latches and spring pins?

I have no idea what their latches look like. I am gonna get some from Mcmaster, as said above, I think they are about the cheapest.

I did say I had looked at trailer spindles, I'm just not clear on how to do the hub portion. Normal tube? would it take bearings? Or would I have to pull the hub out of a trailer tire?

use the hub that the wheel mounts to for the trailer. But take a cut off disk and cut of the remainder of the flange. Leave it with just the middle part. Mega cheap option.

I was waiting for you to chime in, Jim. I wish I could afford one of yours, but...

By the time I get to the end of this, I'll probably wish I had.

Thanks for the link Dirtygypsy.

I was waiting for you to chime in, Jim. I wish I could afford one of yours, but...

By the time I get to the end of this, I'll probably wish I had.

Thanks for the link Dirtygypsy.

you could always ask about the payment plan ;)

you'll do fine, keep it simple and make it strong.

Any more?

No $, still trying to find some scrap 2x3 to get started.

I taked with Mark at Metal Tech today (and met the famous Woody and RP!!) He has spindles for $50 1000lbs rated and some super stout latches for $25. The bumper and tire carrier I built will be finished the week they get back from Moab. I will post some pics when it gets close.

clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom