newbie seeking buying advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - glad to find this forum. I've always admired Land Cruiser's and lately have had them on the brain. A buddy of mine has a 100 and loves it. I'm growing bored with my '02 Pathfinder and am thinking about upgrading to a Cruiser. I've been searching Craigslist, Autotrader and eBay to try to educate myself as to my options and prices and have a few questions.

I plan to use it as a daily driver with no off-roading in my immediate future (though I'd like to get into it at some point). I prefer a more stripped down interior than most 100's seem to offer. I'd like cloth seats, no gold package and no wood grain trim. Thanks to this forum, I've learned that coth was offered on '98 and '99 100's (although hard to find). I haven't found many later model 80's with cloth seats either, I guess most Land Cruisers were pretty luxo-fied by the mid '90's.

I'm looking to spend about $20k and would like your advice on best places to look and things to look for (and look out for!?). Knowing that I'd like to keeo the truck for at least 5 years, does it make more sense from a cost and ease of service perspective to go with a 100 series vs. a late model 80? One more thing, can someone point me to a good explanation of the differences between part-time 4WD, all-wheel-drive and the Cruiser's full time 4WD?

Thanks much!

John in Austin

A Clive Cussler fan eh?

For 20K you can either find a clean stock 100 series, or you can get a very nice built 80 series. Everybody starts off saying they won't offroad much, then once you get a taste of it you end up spending lots of money upgrading your stock truck. If you can find a rig already built, you'll save lost of cash in the long run. I've never had a 100 series so I can't say much about them. I know clean low-mile 80's are getting harder to find the older they get.

On 4wd systems... In general the way it works is, part time 4wd means you have a transfer case that you switch in and out of 4wd and there is a high and low range. There is no center differential so you won't use 4wd on dry roads. Full time 4wd like the 80's and 100's means you have a high and low range like the part time system, but there is no 2wd option. There is a differential in the transfercase that allows use on dry roads. Shifting into low range locks the center diff.
AWD systems are kind of like the full time 4wd system on the road, but there is no low-range option. Think Audi, Suburu, etc.

At least that's my take on it. The tech link section here on Mud has most of the info you'd ever want to know. Another place that has (or used to) good info on 4wd systems is Willem-Jan's site.
http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/main_4x4.htm

Thanks Jason, I appreciate the info. From reading the 100 series forum it seems most agree a newer, higher mileage (vs. older low mileage) 100 is going to be my best bet. Now to find one, been searching Dallas lately as Austin has few. I'll definitely post what happens, hope it all works out.

Yes, longtime Cussler fan, read almost every Pitt adventure. Good, mindless fun - I find intermixing a classic or more intellectual pursuit and then a Pitt adventure to be a good reading combo!

Cheers,
John

Sounds like you're looking for an 80 series to me, a really nice low mileage rig popped up on craigslist here. The 100 is really big and just doesn't feel like a Cruiser IMO, but to each his own. Check out these links for more info on each -

FZJ80

UZJ100

Come on out to Rudy's on 183 @ 7pm tonight if you wanna see a whole parking lot full of all types of Cruisers -

:beer:

Tucker

WOW!!

A $20k budget!! You will be able to get into whatever Cruiser you want, be it a 100 or a well built/maintained 80. The world is your oyster.

As far as the best places to purchase, MUD is always good (people that really care about their Cruisers- read well cared for) in addition to all the other outlets, Craigslist, AutoTrader, etc..

Good luck..............and I'm jealous!!;p

Thanks guys, now I just need to sell my Pathfinder (or trade it in I guess if I can find a decent dealer listing). I guess if I sold it that would *really* motivate me to make a decision! ;)

There are some certified pre-owned Cruisers outside of Austin, 7yr/100k powertrain warranty. I know you pay for that basically in the price of the vehicle with pre-owned stuff, but that makes it easy. A little outside of my budget though.

Rudy's sounds great but I have a sick toddler at home - maybe next time. Re: the attractive FJ80 on Craigslist in Austin, do you mean this one? http://austin.craigslist.org/car/280394877.html - they're asking a bit above KBB, but it looks nice.

Cheers,
John

heh i'm from the san antonio area (live in NJ now sadly) and my name is Dustin. my dad wanted Dirk (yes as in Pitt) but my mom said it sounded too much like DirT... whatever. longtime Cussler fan myself... i think its all part of the Texas culture honestly, i mean my dad had a 40 back in the day... man i miss rudys bbq.

John,
Welcome. For that budget, if you wanted something really awesome, get this- http://www.westcoastcruisers.com/WCC_SSBJ70.html. With the difference, you could put in an air conditioning. OK, I may be biased... :grinpimp: Come out to Rudys and you can see mine as well as many other types. Or, if you're in a hurry, we could meet sometime before then.

Cheers,
Jason

John, what are the details of your pathfinder i may be interested.

Hi Guys - sorry, been busy past couple of weeks. FJTex, my wife's not a big fan of the name "Dirk" either, I think it would be awesome for boy #2 if that ever happens. Hell, Cussler named his own son Dirk!

arcteryx, that BJ70 is awesome, never seen anything like it! Not sure how it would work for a daily driver though. mrmex, my Pathfinder is a '02 SE, black, 2WD, leather, BOSE, sunroof. not on the market yet however, I need to have a backup in place pretty quick.

I'm having a tough time finding a 100 with cloth. All of 'em seem to be so "luxo-fied", leather, wood trim and all. Even a lot of the late model FJ80's have leather. The most recent I can find with cloth is a 1994 I think. I know the '97's were mostly leather due to the 40th Anniv Edition, wondering why so many '96's are too. I guess it was so expensive even then people wanted a luxury version. It's a turnoff to me on such a tough, go-anywhere, utilitarian vehicle, but to each his own.

On another but related topic, I see I can get a stripped down 4Runner SR5 with a V8 (same as LC 100, right?) and full-time 4WD. I know these as sold as Land Cruiser Prado's I think overseas. Is this trim 4Runner anything like a real LC? I'm only considering out of frustration, you can get 'em all day long new and slightly used. Comments, even jeers(!), would be appreciated on the LC vs. V8, 4WD 4Runner comparo.

Cheers,
John

P.S. hope to make it out to Rudy's next Tue ...

On another but related topic, I see I can get a stripped down 4Runner SR5 with a V8 (same as LC 100, right?) and full-time 4WD. I know these as sold as Land Cruiser Prado's I think overseas. Is this trim 4Runner anything like a real LC? I'm only considering out of frustration, you can get 'em all day long new and slightly used. Comments, even jeers(!), would be appreciated on the LC vs. V8, 4WD 4Runner comparo.
"Is this trim 4Runner anything like a real LC?"

I guess that depends on if you consider a 100 anything like a real Land Cruiser? :confused:

They are different vehicles and have different characteristics and unique advantages/disadvantages.

The only way to know what's best for you is to drive them comparatively.

The 4Runner (open/open) is arguably a better off-road choice when compared to an open/open 100 series due to greater suspension travel, greater power-to-weight, wider availability of aftermarket upgrades and it's smaller size makes it a little easier to maneuver through trails, although neither is blessed with great visibility.

For wheeling I would prefer a 4th gen 4R over a 100 series (and an FJC for that matter), but for putzing around town or long trips I would take the 100 series for room & comfort.

For the money you have at your disposal, you really should look for a built/buildable 80 and get the best of both worlds.

"Is this trim 4Runner anything like a real LC?"

I guess that depends on if you consider a 100 anything like a real Land Cruiser? :confused:

They are different vehicles and have different characteristics and unique advantages/disadvantages.

The only way to know what's best for you is to drive them comparatively.

The 4Runner (open/open) is arguably a better off-road choice when compared to an open/open 100 series due to greater suspension travel, greater power-to-weight, wider availability of aftermarket upgrades and it's smaller size makes it a little easier to maneuver through trails, although neither is blessed with great visibility.

For wheeling I would prefer a 4th gen 4R over a 100 series (and an FJC for that matter), but for putzing around town or long trips I would take the 100 series for room & comfort.

For the money you have at your disposal, you really should look for a built/buildable 80 and get the best of both worlds.

i'd have to disagree with that to a small extent, my parents own a 4rnr and myself an FJc. in our experience the FJ was a far better choice for offraod use for a couple good reasons. firstly, its cheaper to buy a 4wd FJ with a rear locker than it is to get a 4rnr plain and simple. the FJ has slightly better angles of approach and departure, the same parado underpinnings, arguably better aftermarket support than ANY of toyotas offerings (when time on the market is considered) and althouth it makes do with the 4.0l v6 personally i find it an extremely capable v6 and comming from a power starved 24 y/o with a heavy foot thats saying somthing. also the A-TRAC system is a remarkable peice of kit and even if you get an FJ without it as long as you have the rear locker getting ATRAC is as simple as plugging in a $50 switch (i did this myself) that being said, the interior is also more offroad friendly in an FJc. tbh, your best bet is to go out and drive an 80, a 4rnr and an FJc side by side and compare for yourself. i'm 150% satisfied with my FJc and my dad is slightly jealous in his 4rnr but tahts jsut our experience.:bounce:

A 4x4 4Runner can be bought much cheaper than a 4x4 FJC- still cheaper if not the same price when completely set up with ARB bumper & winch, OME suspension and ARB locker front & rear.

This I know for a fact.

It does not have the approach/departure angles of the FJC, but the differences are not significant in practical, real world experience. However, the increased visibility is significant, as is the less top-heavy feeling.

As far as aftermarket support, you are correct. There are more brightly-colored things for them than any other Toyota except for maybe Scion. I did not seriously consider as important the amount of cosmetic puffery available.

Not dogging your ride, just objective observations having built and wheeled both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom