Power Steering 1996 Land Crusier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having problems with power steering. When turning at low speeds, like pulling in and out of a parking space, the steering just about locks up. I have replaced power steering pump, hose and gear box and still having the same problems. Any ideas?

foo 57 New member, first post

This is left field but my 92' had the same problem even after replacing the belt from a local autoparts store (Az), I read up on the differences of belts from oem to after market, well I broke down and hit the dealer up, 30 bucks later I had the belt and what a difference........night and day. At idle I could'nt turn the wheel, I had to gas it a little to get the wheel going, on the trail this was not fun. After replacing it with the dealer one, no more problems, at all! Maybe this might be a factor, good luck!

I am having problems with power steering. When turning at low speeds, like pulling in and out of a parking space, the steering just about locks up. I have replaced power steering pump, hose and gear box and still having the same problems. Any ideas?

foo 57 New member, first post

The '96 doesn't have a belt, it's driven off of a gear on the crankshaft. If the front pulley bolt comes loose the gear can slip causing loss of power assist.

Front pulley is working properly. The only thing I can think of is that one of the replacement parts I used is bad. In the process of having them checked and switched out to see if that helps. Any other ideas out there?

foo57
96 land cruiser

do your tires scruff on pavement when you turn? could be a binding issue.

Front pulley is working properly. The only thing I can think of is that one of the replacement parts I used is bad. In the process of having them checked and switched out to see if that helps. Any other ideas out there?

foo57
96 land cruiser
Did you check the torque of the Crank bolt? 304 lbs ?

Tires were turning properly. The truck was steering fine. I had a slow long term power steering pump leak for serveral years that I think was the cause of all trouble.

foo 57
96 land cruiser
01 4runner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom