Possibility of ECU and powertrain harness swap on 2001 runner... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All. Been poking around over on yota tech and have some quetions for some of the more experience 4runner people on the forum.

If you could find the ECU and wiring harness for a manual 3rd gen, would it be impossible to swap than into my runner equipped with auto tranny.

I have herd that the manual/auto harness is totally different. What would be different about it? I know there is a body harness, that I believe all it does it witch lights and signals and windows and locks and such.
Then there is a seperate one for the powertrain.

Could you take a manual harness and swap it along with the ECU?
With 4runners being as popular as they are I would like to think that this mod has been done by someone somewhere.
I am shure someone is going to say, well just trade yours for a manual equipped one, I cannot find one, not even on internet.

thanks, -nate-

Not trying to shoe you away from here, but yotatech.com and TTORA would probably be a better place to ask this question. Lots more 4R guys and plenty of them doing these and other major mods. Also might be worth a phone call to Underdog Racing (URDusa.com), they are very familiar with the ECU variances since they deal in aftermarket ECU upgrades for the supercharger.

For a short answer though I "think" this is possible, but you will run into some issues with your speed sensor and if you have VSC or ATRAC good luck getting those to work...

thanks for the info. I have a hard time believing that no one does tranny swaps on 4runners. People do them to land cruisers and jeeps all the time.
Ill check out those websites.
thanks, -nate-

best way is to sell and buy a manual.

Jeeps and cruisers are usually older and not as Computer integrated.

nice to see someone finally reply. Have you ever seen a manual 4runner?

every time I see one I look to see what it has. Never once have I seen one with my own to eyes. Can you look on used car websites and search by more than make, model and year?

every time I see one I look to see what it has. Never once have I seen one with my own to eyes. Can you look on used car websites and search by more than make, model and year?

Sure you can, click HERE...

thanks, there is on in pickney, only about 10 miles from my house. Man o man, I would just love to get my hands on that thing. I really like the 4runner to cruise in, can take friends and is some what sporty. Too bad i am in high school and do not have alot of money. I dont have a job, so I am s*** outta luck.:crybaby:

thanks, there is on in pickney, only about 10 miles from my house. Man o man, I would just love to get my hands on that thing. I really like the 4runner to cruise in, can take friends and is some what sporty. Too bad i am in high school and do not have alot of money. I dont have a job, so I am s*** outta luck.:crybaby:
cruisers are not cheap my man:cool:

you get what you pay for. I have learned this time and time again. I used to buy cheap tools and cheap parts only to have it come back and bit me in the ass. Now I buy the best tools I can find. No snap ons but that the wal-mart s*** eaither. I love my SK tools, have a couple of their mircrometer tourqe wrenchs, work great.

A cruiser is a good investment, it will last awhile... :idea:

you get what you pay for. I have learned this time and time again. I used to buy cheap tools and cheap parts only to have it come back and bit me in the ass. Now I buy the best tools I can find. No snap ons but that the wal-mart s*** eaither. I love my SK tools, have a couple of their mircrometer tourqe wrenchs, work great.

A cruiser is a good investment, it will last awhile... :idea:
sell the jeep:D buy some good cruiser stuff

then I would not have a convertiable anymore. As much as people on here hate jeeps they are not that bad. Only the 4cyl ones suck.
None of the cars I have are registered in my name so legally I cannot sell one. This helps to save insurance money. 18 yr old drivers get slammed for insurance, for a good reason, 95% of us drive like ass holes. I will just have to wait until after college. Hope I can still find some good rust free toyotas 5 yrs from now.

yes, lots of kids get slammed hard, and they bend over and take it. Gotta think outside the box and work the system to your advantage.

The drivetrain harness plugs into the ecu. The other part goes from the ecu to the dash etc., and the cluster etc. is also different on the auto equipped runners. You'd have to change the dash wiring also I would think. That should cover it, because there is a plug just in front of the driver side door with all the wiring to the rest of the vehicle.
Not a small undertaking by any means, it's easier to get a vehicle equipped from the factory.

Going to a manual is still easier then the other way I would think, if you leave the dash wiring as is, the check engine light will probably come on since the transmission control is missing feedback from the transmission. I am not sure how that would work.

I hope that gives you some ideas what to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom