55 fender flares (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have full width axles on my 55 and I want to use it as my DD. Does anyone make some wide flares for the 55 or has anyone researched which other flares are "close enough" that could be modified to fit. I don't want any cheesy generic ones. I'm thinking something in the Bushwacker line up but I don't know what vehicle would have a similar wheel arch that I could use them from.
I know as soon as I drive it on the street I'm going to get pulled over for inadequate tire coverage so I'd like to stop this possible headache before it starts.

you'll probably have to make your own...i like the ones that monster red pig had, but htey might look gay if you're running less thana 40" tire ;)

My offroad tires are 38" boggers and my on road tires will be something in the 40-42" range. Do you have pics of it, I don't think I ever saw red one.

Jamister you can see the onster red one he is referring to here in the 55 forum the thread is titled "steroid piggie" as for flares I have never seen anything made specifically for a pig. You might see how flares for a 60/62 work. But the pig just has lines all to itself so your best bet will probably be making your own.

Thanks for finding the thread, can't say I'm crazy about the flares on it. I was talking to a buddy today about it and I'm going to see about finding some TJ bushwackers for the front and some CJ ones for the rear and see about making either of those fit. I'll keep you posted on what fits the best.

If you can make those TJ flares fit I'm going to be highly impressed. Especially since a TJ wheelwell is substantially flatter then that of a 55. The CJ flares might work as both have fairly round rear wheelwells but in that case I think the CJ is rounder than the 55. I think you'd be much better off trying 60/62 flares. I'll even take the 62 flare my roommate ripped off wheeling and hold it up on my pig and take a pic if you want to see it. I just think you'll be wasting a lot of money with heep flares.

Yeah, take a pic of the 60 flare on your 55, that would be a good start. I know Bushwacker doesn't make an extended flare for the 60 but I remember seeing a web sit that did I'll have to look into it. Thanks :bounce2:

What I was planning on doing with wider axles was bending up some tube that ran along the side of the vehicle (for body protection) and intergrating some flares that tied into the body. Not pretty, but effective against rock rash/small geos, and keeps the tires covered.

Otherwise, I'd look into some fender flares styled like Ratpuke has on her BJ42.

Jamister heres a couple pics sorry they arent the best. But these flares will work good for you I think. Youll have to trim for the lights a little and youll have to trim the ends as they are longer but they were a really good fit otherwise. They are HJ 61 flares for the diesels. I think he said they came from SOR. Anyway hope this helps you dont waste your money on Heep flares.

Last edited:
I would think those would be a lot bigger then the 55 wheel well. I really think those hj61 flares are going to work the best. They fit good and theres not a lot of trimming or anything to do. Making adjustments to that molded plastic will be hard.

Awesome those do look like a pretty close fit! I wonder what the biggest flare is I could get those in? Also what about the rears? Are they a close fit too?

Those are probably a 2" or 2.5" flare. He hasnt ripped a rear one off yet so i can't hold it up. However from looking at it I think the rears would be as good a fit as the front were. Might be a little more adapting to do to the rears b/c of the door but it would be that way with any flare.

hey, clemson55, is your roomate making any progress with tearing off any rear flares from his 62??:)

I must have missed this thread when it was fresh and have been looking for a answer to this very dilemma.

My 55 project will be sticking out at least 2 inches if we don't figure something out.

clemson55, by looking at your pics, probably the marker could be easily raised a inch and moved a inch back for fit, rather than cutting the flare.

I just ordered the extra wide universals from Jc whitney I'll take pics, they should be here today or tomorrow.

If I had a 55 at hand here, I could easily get a set of flares made for you1" to 10"s wide. :)
Ehsan

I finally got the fender flares finished this weekend. These are the JC Whitney Xtra wide universal flares. I was pretty happy with the way they turned out as they don't look too cheesy. I'd still like a nice set of Bushwackers but these will do for now.
fj24.jpg
fj27.jpg
fj25.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom