wiring up off road lights on rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys!

i just had my safari rack built and i want to mount some off road lights on it. my only concern is wiring them up. where can i run the wires from the roof into the cab? i dont want to drill any holes. do you have any ideas how to do this? has anyone done this and how did they do it. thanks for your help in advance.:D

There is a very easy way to run a power wire from the engine compartment to the roof with almost 100% concealment, and I can guarantee no holes in your roof and no leaks.

Here's the trick. If you peel back the rain gutter trim down by the cowl, you will see there is a hidden channel. Basically you run the power wire from the rack, down this channel, under the cowl(this involves a bit of work getting the cowl loose enough to slip the wire underneath), and into the engine bay. Once the wire is in place the gutter trim simply snaps back on and the wire is concealed!

Mine is wired like this, and by carefully tucking the wire in the rain gutter until it gets to one of the rack's feet, you cannot tell there are any wires connecting to the rack. BTW, I grounded the rack to the roof with a short piece of wire to one of the factory roof rack bolts. That takes care of the ground issue.

Good luck!

Ary

Is there enough room for an antenna wore instead of a power line?

Rich

There is a very easy way to run a power wire from the engine compartment to the roof with almost 100% concealment, and I can guarantee no holes in your roof and no leaks.

Here's the trick. If you peel back the rain gutter trim down by the cowl, you will see there is a hidden channel. Basically you run the power wire from the rack, down this channel, under the cowl(this involves a bit of work getting the cowl loose enough to slip the wire underneath), and into the engine bay. Once the wire is in place the gutter trim simply snaps back on and the wire is concealed!

Mine is wired like this, and by carefully tucking the wire in the rain gutter until it gets to one of the rack's feet, you cannot tell there are any wires connecting to the rack. BTW, I grounded the rack to the roof with a short piece of wire to one of the factory roof rack bolts. That takes care of the ground issue.

Good luck!

Ary

Good luck!

Ary

Hey Ary,

Quick question about this setup. How do you run multiple lights with more than one relay if you only have the 1 power lead? Where did you split the lead? Do you have your relays in the engine bay or up on the rack?

thanks

I have the same question about this, when you buy a complete for light kit from anywhere it comes with two lights, a relay and a switch plus all the wiring. So my question is, if i want a total of 4 lights and I buy a kit with two lights and then i buy 2 separate lights, how do I integrate them to the wiring that came with the Complete Kit? Or is this even possible?

I have a snorkel on my 80 and that is how my wires are run/concealed...If you don't have a snorkel, then Arya's way would probably be the best.

Ary
This is exactly how I wanted to wire my aux lights too but with 4 up front and 2 in the back, I couldn't squeeze all the wiring thru the cowl and I wanted the 3 pairs of lights to all operate independantly.:frown: Well, I decided to drill at the most accessible spot for me on the roof and it worked out great. Used a rubber gromit and for good measure I used silicone with a sharp needle nose opening and squeezed it in between the wires. Washed the rig 3x already and checked for leaks and none to be found.:)

This is exactly how I wanted to wire my aux lights too but with 4 up front and 2 in the back, I couldn't squeeze all the wiring thru the cowl and I wanted the 3 pairs of lights to all operate independantly.:frown: Well, I decided to drill at the most accessible spot for me on the roof and it worked out great. Used a rubber gromit and for good measure I used silicone with a sharp needle nose opening and squeezed it in between the wires. Washed the rig 3x already and checked for leaks and none to be found.:)

Where did you drill the hole? Pics?????

If your lights allow you to ground the negative to the rack, then you'll only have the positive wire going down the cowl and if all 3 pairs are installed the same, then only 3 +wires needed to go down the cowl which should fit IMO. I wired my lights according to instructions since I'm no electrician, therefor many wires. I'm sure I could've grounded them all to the rack but only the rear lights are done so since that's what the manual showed.

I wanted to drill behind the rack bracket but I opted for the easier access area. I was able to fish the wires thru the hole and down the A-pillar.
wires.jpg

WiresI.jpg

Thanks for the pics!

Yes, thank you. Im still trying to find a good way to wire my overhead rack lights.

Put some wire loom on that, will look 10x better.

Anyone have any pics of a Snorkel wire install? Im still trying to figure out how you run it into the engine bay out of the tube at the end? You put a hole in your filter box? lol

Last edited:
Sure thing!

I do have some wire loom lost in the garage somewhere and I refuse to buy more until I know for sure I can't find it.:D

I have been planning this very same project for a long time now, with countless hours scanning the forums for tidbits. All I can say is, I really appreciate the postings.

I have a Snorkel install looming quickly and plan on running wiring for independent light controls at front, left side, right side, and rear(x2). Additionally, I'm mounting a Diamond K9000 motorized antenna mount up on the rack, so I'll want to run the power/control wire and the thin coax as well using one of the rain gutters.

First thing to sort out is do I run the antenna or lights wiring along the right side with the snorkel?

Second, I've always wanted to have the flexibility to be able to remove the rack if needed. So, I've searched high and low for a connector set, waterproof (IP67 or IP68 rated) that can handle 5 pins for power and a 6th for ground. I've found lots of different versions out there, but deciding on one and making sure I've got the right amperage draw/capacity of the connector accounted for is what's holding up this project.

Has anyone used a waterproof disconnect solution for their truck, or any truck for that matter? I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Second, I've always wanted to have the flexibility to be able to remove the rack if needed. So, I've searched high and low for a connector set, waterproof (IP67 or IP68 rated) that can handle 5 pins for power and a 6th for ground. I've found lots of different versions out there, but deciding on one and making sure I've got the right amperage draw/capacity of the connector accounted for is what's holding up this project.

Has anyone used a waterproof disconnect solution for their truck, or any truck for that matter? I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

X2 disconnect is important. Maybe MOUSER has a waterproof MOLEX connector??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom