Transmission Fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What year did the Land Cruisers get the "world fluid"? I thought it was '04, but the dealer keeps telling me, "I think it was '05" which is coincidently a year newer than mine, and I never get a definitive answer. I think they're looking to pad their costs.

Check your manual and dipstick. It should list the correct fluid.

I thought the new ones didnt have a dipstick,that would make it easy enough right:cool:

I didn't realize Toyota did that also. BMW has removed the oil dipstick for the engine oil on the new 3 series and X5. Instead they have replaced it with a fancy electronic sensor that checks the level, but seems to fail with regularity. Talk about engineering a fix to a problem nobody had.

AFAIK the 2003 model which I have, was the only year of the dipstick and the T-IV fluid, they then removed the dipstick/changed the pan, and put WS fluid in it. The new pan has an oil level/overflow plug in the bottom of the pan and WS is stamped on the fill plug and possibly the oil level/overflow plug as well.

From techinfo
The T-IV type ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) of the A750F automatic transmission on the ’03 Land Cruiser has been changed to the WS type on the ’04 Land Cruiser. The reduced viscosity in the practical operating temperature range of the ATF WS enables to reduce drag loss and improve fuel economy. The ATF WS is not interchangeable with other types of ATF (ATF type T-IV, or D-II).

From techinfo
The T-IV type ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) of the A750F automatic transmission on the ’03 Land Cruiser has been changed to the WS type on the ’04 Land Cruiser. The reduced viscosity in the practical operating temperature range of the ATF WS enables to reduce drag loss and improve fuel economy. The ATF WS is not interchangeable with other types of ATF (ATF type T-IV, or D-II).

Thank you.

AFAIK the 2003 model which I have, was the only year of the dipstick and the T-IV fluid, they then removed the dipstick/changed the pan, and put WS fluid in it. The new pan has an oil level/overflow plug in the bottom of the pan and WS is stamped on the fill plug and possibly the oil level/overflow plug as well.

Yes, this is one reason why I bought a '03.

Any body know why it is not backwards compadible? If you flush it all shouldn't it be ok???
I looked at it before, I recall the lower viscosity of the WS fluid to be a problem with earlier trannys, I expect 2003 5 speeds should be OK but i will follow this up with the TSB info but I gotta go now, will do it later.

Any body know why it is not backwards compadible?

Because the friction materials used in a transmission are matched to the friction properties of the fluid.

If you flush it all shouldn't it be ok???

It is not a matter of the fluids being incompatable with each other (not likely) but of the new fluid not being ideal for the friction materials in a older transmission.

Any body know why it is not backwards compadible? If you flush it all shouldn't it be ok???

As mention previously, I doubt it is a problem in the 5 speeds unless you get really cold, IIRC lexusben said he couldn't find any differences in the trannies except fluid.

I am sure I have posted all this before
From the techinfo TSB

The following symptoms will occur if non–WS ATF is put into a WS–compatible automatic transmission:

Non–WS ATF has a higher viscosity. Because of this, response to changes in fluid pressure decreases, lengthening shift time, causing shift flare. When the fluid temperature is low, (approximately –40°F [–40°C]), air can enter the oil pump causing cavitation resulting in low fluid pressure.Fuel consumption increases.

The following symptoms will occur if ATF WS is put into a non–WS–compatible
automatic transmission:
ATF WS has a lower viscosity than other ATFs. Because of this, response to changes in fluid pressure increases, shortening shift time, causing shift shock. If WS is filled into a non–WS automatic transmission, the fluid could leak out under high temperatures (approximately 284°F [140°C]).

As mention previously, I doubt it is a problem in the 5 speeds unless you get really cold, IIRC lexusben said he couldn't find any differences in the trannies except fluid.

I am sure I have posted all this before
From the techinfo TSB

The following symptoms will occur if non–WS ATF is put into a WS–compatible automatic transmission:

Non–WS ATF has a higher viscosity. Because of this, response to changes in fluid pressure decreases, lengthening shift time, causing shift flare. When the fluid temperature is low, (approximately –40°F [–40°C]), air can enter the oil pump causing cavitation resulting in low fluid pressure.Fuel consumption increases.

The following symptoms will occur if ATF WS is put into a non–WS–compatible
automatic transmission:
ATF WS has a lower viscosity than other ATFs. Because of this, response to changes in fluid pressure increases, shortening shift time, causing shift shock. If WS is filled into a non–WS automatic transmission, the fluid could leak out under high temperatures (approximately 284°F [140°C]).

This would imply that although the '03 5speed and '04 5 speed trannies may be identical, the tranny ECU's (or should I say, the main ECU, which controls the tranny shifting) would be matched to the tranny/fluid combo to prevent the shift shock.

is there any way to ID the fluids on sight? or are they all pink.

What I did was drip some tranny fluid into a white piece of cloth and let it dry. If it is all pink, it is all good. If there is discoloration or if there is a darker edge that forms around the pink middle, then the fluid is not in pristine condition.

Mine was not looking pink at all. I did two drain and fills over the weekend and now it is looking all pink with no dark outer edge.

What I did was drip some tranny fluid into a white piece of cloth and let it dry. If it is all pink, it is all good. If there is discoloration or if there is a darker edge that forms around the pink middle, then the fluid is not in pristine condition.

Mine was not looking pink at all. I did two drain and fills over the weekend and now it is looking all pink with no dark outer edge.

FWIW, I don't think looking at the color/smell of the fluid is sufficient to determine how depleted it is. Heat, moisture, and other affects can degrade the fluid w/o the appearance changing. Would you do the same thing for brake fluid or motor oil? IMHO, one is best off sticking to a time/mileage table and changing on that basis. Otherwise, you'd have to do a UOA on the fluid in question and compare it to a new sample.

FWIW, I don't think looking at the color/smell of the fluid is sufficient to determine how depleted it is. Heat, moisture, and other affects can degrade the fluid w/o the appearance changing. Would you do the same thing for brake fluid or motor oil? IMHO, one is best off sticking to a time/mileage table and changing on that basis. Otherwise, you'd have to do a UOA on the fluid in question and compare it to a new sample.

Doing a drip test is certainly no substitute for regular maintenance at toyo specified rates or even sooner (if you really wish) for peace of mind.

However, if you purchased a used vehicle with previous maintenance unknown, it gives you a vague indication on whether the fluids need to be changed immediately.

So, at the very least, do the regular drain and fill at toyo specified schedule. If the drip test shows discoloration in your recently purchased used vehicle, do a drain and fill at closer intervals a few times before going to the regular interval.

At least, that is what I am doing.

i should have written differentiate the fluids. i guess theres no way.

Zimm, Do you have fluid leaks and want to be able to determine what fluid is leaking by looking at the fluid color? Or am I speculating too much?

is there any way to ID the fluids on sight? or are they all pink.

ATF should be red/pink. Diff fluids are typically brown/gold (can be green if you're bearings are shot and leaking grease into the diff fluid), have a strong stench to them unique to gear oil (the tell-tale smell). T-case fluid is likely the same as the diff fluid (why would the dealer or PO use something different?). Brake fluid is clear to tan, slippery texture. PS fluid...varies (should be red like ATF [should be dexII/III ATF!], but can be nearly black if not changed, can have a burned smell if really shot like mine was).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom