Keep my doors from hitting the Mirrors! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I finally put mirrors on my FJ40. When the doors are off it won't be a problem but until then how do I keep my doors from hitting the mirrors when they open? Right now I have what appears to be the stock "straps" attached to the inside of the door jam. These are to long and allow the door to contact the mirror head. I tried a couple zip ties but they broke.

Do you have leather straps? That's not original (but what I'm doing temporarily). You can shorten them. The metal bent rods that you would ordinarily have should stop the doors.

Which mirrors do you have again? Pix might tell us a lot.

Dave, do you need a set of door limiters?

Ed

Dave, do you need a set of door limiters?

Ed

No, thanks Ed I have a set. The hinge mounts on my doors were ripped off, I expect in a sudden stop. I have a way to make a replacement someone posted, just haven't gotten a round tuit.

OK then:D

Ed

Do you have leather straps? That's not original (but what I'm doing temporarily). You can shorten them. The metal bent rods that you would ordinarily have should stop the doors.

My straps are not leather. Maybe cotton woven? I have windshield mounted mirrors.

I have a round tuit if you need it? :grinpimp:
tuitround.jpg

I bought the optional part from CCOT that allows you to mount the mirrors either on the windshield hinge or the door hinge. Nice to be able to switch them back and forth depending on if you're running with or without doors. Plus I couldn't get a clear view of the mirrors when they are windshield mounted and doors on.

My straps are not leather. Maybe cotton woven? I have windshield mounted mirrors.

There you go! Shorten the straps!;p

My early [pre-75] door limiters let my doors hit the mirrors too. I stacked some more washers behind the castle nut, pushing the rubber cushion further down the shaft of the limiter to shorten the span of the limiter. Now the door stops 1" before the mirror.;)

Best

Mark A.

I couldn't get a clear view of the mirrors when they are windshield mounted and doors on.

I don't get this with people and the windshield mounted mirrors. You place the mirror forward of the windshield so you can see it though the windshield on the passenger side, through the vent window on the driver's side. They are out of the way of the doors that way and you have an unobstructed view.

I don't get this with people and the windshield mounted mirrors. You place the mirror forward of the windshield so you can see it though the windshield on the passenger side, through the vent window on the driver's side. They are out of the way of the doors that way and you have an unobstructed view.

Not sure which mirrors you have, but mine do not have enough articulation between the mirror and arm to pull off what you just described.

Not sure which mirrors you have, but mine do not have enough articulation between the mirror and arm to pull off what you just described.

OK, maybe it's different. This is what I've got:

attachment.php

attachment.php

There you go! Shorten the straps!;p

My early [pre-75] door limiters let my doors hit the mirrors too. I stacked some more washers behind the castle nut, pushing the rubber cushion further down the shaft of the limiter to shorten the span of the limiter. Now the door stops 1" before the mirror.;)

Best

Mark A.

These straps aren't adjustable. They have stitched hoops for the anchors. I tried the forward of the windshield thing. Maybe I will have to try it again but I couldn't get the mirror to turn inward enough.

I know I am reviving an old thread. The door piece that should be welded to the door is broken. Am curious how to rig up a leather strap to limit door opening.

Any pictures would help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom