15x10 or 15x8? what BS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents,

Having a hardtime deciding what steel wheel size should i buy for my fj40. Got a set of 33x12.5R15 Mud Tires. Also, what minimum backspacing is required so as not to experience rubbing on full turn.

Need your advise urgently.

gado

For a 15 in wheel your choice, unless special order, will be a 3 3/4 in back spacing.
As for wheel width a lot depends on your lift, cut fenders, and so on if you are going with a 33x12.5 then I would stick with a 8 in wide wheel even if you eventualy get into a 35x12.5
I run a 15x10 in wheel but I also run a 36/14.5 tire

15x8" with no more than 3 3/4" backspacing. I went with 16" wheels and tires to prevent all the clearance issues. It's easier to clean the mud out from the wheel too. I know you already have your tires but it's just a thought you might wan to consider for the future.

Hi All:

Check-out the "search" function for lots of info! :rolleyes:

That out of the way, for 33X12.5R15 tires on a 'wheeler, I'd suggest 15X7 or 15X8 inch wheels; 15X10 inch rims are simply too wide for a 12.5 inch wide tire used off-road.

The factory back spacing on FJ40 wheels is 3.5 inch; the only way you'll get this with 15X8 inch rims is expensive custom units. Most of use run the typical six lug "wagon wheels" that have 3.75 inch backspacing.

Regards,

Alan

Hi All:

Check-out the "search" function for lots of info! :rolleyes:

That out of the way, for 33X12.5R15 tires on a 'wheeler, I'd suggest 15X7 or 15X8 inch wheels; 15X10 inch rims are simply too wide for a 12.5 inch wide tire used off-road.

Regards,

Alan

Alan, why would the 12.5 on a 15x10 be too wide for off-road? I am pretty new to the cruiser world as well as off-roading, I'm curious because i just put 33x12.5 MTR's on a 15x10 rim. i will admit, i cut about an inch off the quarters and they look just fine. i have yet too take it off road but i did drive it up on a ramp to check articulation, no rubs. suspension is stock

The reason 15x10" wheels are to wide is the fact that the side wall of the tire will wind up being shorter. You will have less tire height and less sidewall. This is not good for airing down tires for traction. there are others here with more knowledge on this matter than I. But I would go no wider than 8" for the size tire you mentioned. I don't know where you live but you can have my 15x7.5 wheels for free. they are 4" back spaced and are very very close. I would use a 1/4 spacer up front, but they are free!

take the advice to go 15x8... i wish i had that advice before i went 15x10 on my 35x12.5r15's. not only are you just turning more steel, but your tires will look smaller, and like stated before, not the best for airing down tires.

The reason 15x10" wheels are to wide is the fact that the side wall of the tire will wind up being shorter. You will have less tire height and less sidewall. This is not good for airing down tires for traction. there are others here with more knowledge on this matter than I. But I would go no wider than 8" for the size tire you mentioned. I don't know where you live but you can have my 15x7.5 wheels for free. they are 4" back spaced and are very very close. I would use a 1/4 spacer up front, but they are free!

thanks, for the offer, i am in utah though. the airing down issue does make sense, i will just have to wait and see how they work out. part of the reason i went with the 15x10 was to keep the tire a little shorter, i am able to fit them just fine without a lift. so i guess the next question is, if i did end up going with a 15x8 would that increase the tire heighth to where i do need to make suspension mods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom