Manifold cooking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any good manifold cooking ideas?
Doing a 4 day trip in the end of April, and would like to have some quick easy meals to cook while wheeling.

Thanks,

Chicago

Hi,

I have never cooked on the manifold, but here are some things you can whip up, if you have a Coleman tabletop gas grill.

Uncle Ben's Minute rice with Red Beans with Spanish dry sausage ( Chorizo).

Heat water for the rice and if you have a fry pan, add the Chorizo. Heat a can of red beans and mix it with the rice add hot sauce.

If you have frozen steaks, let them marinade on your trip while they defrost and cook in flat iron skillet.

Or you can heat up soup in the little sterno cooker frames you get from the Mil Surp store.

If you have frozen ground beef, you can make hamburger helper in a cast iron skillet.

There are freeze dried foods. You can find dutch oven cooking guides while you are out and about.

Mark

I thought you took all your nourishment in liquid form on that trip?:grinpimp:

Let me know when you work the bugs out so I can adapt it for my 40.

I thought you took all your nourishment in liquid form on that trip?:grinpimp:

Let me know when you work the bugs out so I can adapt it for my 40.

Yeah, but I need food to help curb my hangover!:flipoff2:

Chicago

Dutch oven roof rack? It was well secured. I had a grate on top of the dutch oven to keep coals from blowing away. When I got to my destination 45 minutes later the roof was barely even warm to the touch, much less than a summer day. This was Thanksgiving dinner cooking. Turned out delicious. You'd have to do some decent securing to keep the lid in place on a trail though. The oven was locked in by the screws on the volcanoe and wasn't going anywhere.

The dogs in the mini barbecuer on the manifold didn't work as well, didn't get hot enough, fast enough.

I'm shooting for redneck status.
DSC00038.JPG
DSC00006.JPG

Dutch oven roof rack? It was well secured. I had a grate on top of the dutch oven to keep coals from blowing away. When I got to my destination 45 minutes later the roof was barely even warm to the touch, much less than a summer day. This was Thanksgiving dinner cooking. Turned out delicious. You'd have to do some decent securing to keep the lid in place on a trail though. The oven was locked in by the screws on the volcanoe and wasn't going anywhere.

The dogs in the mini barbecuer on the manifold didn't work as well, didn't get hot enough, fast enough.

I'm shooting for redneck status.

You got my vote for red neck!:D
Nice job on the ingenuity!

Chicago

:hillbilly: Yea, I got some funny looks going down the freeway. But the family was starting dinner promptly at 3:00 and we had the turkey. It wasn't going to be done in time unless we came up with something! We could either be 45 minutes late, or we could go redneck. Got there on time and it was perfect. The carrots on the bottom were delish!

I've occasionally cooked burritos on my manifold. It is nice to have a hot carne asada burrito on the trail when it is below freezing outside. I was able to wedge two in between the manifolds on my f145. They stayed put each time. I think the ultimate would be to weld a metal box to your exhaust system that has some stainless springs or something to secure food. It would be under your cruiser, but you wouldn't have to worry about an underhood manteca paint job. Now I'll never actually build something like that, as a portable stove or habachi is pretty convenient, but imagine wheeling a tuff trail all day, then at the end bust out a perfectly coooked prime rib from next to your muffler.:grinpimp:

Damn,
Ive never see that before! That's a neat idea, and not that expensive too!
What'cha make with it?

Chicago

Yeah we saw it on an American cooking show.... Usually any large truck stop will have them.

Is is great to warm up foods.... Ususally we have chili, lasagna or cicken pot pie pre made and frozen in the cooler. Pop it in.... and in 1 1/2 - 2 hours of traveling it is ready to eat.

We will be giving it the real test over the next 12 days.... We are traveling from Edmonton to Tuk and back approx 4500 miles....

:beer:

Todd

look online for recipes that have to do with pouch-type cooking -- foil pouches, etc.

anything you can wrap in foil can essentialy be cooked on the manifold. I've had hot dogs before...a bagel dog is perfect (assuming it's not frozen) after about a half-hour on the manifold.

figure the cooking temp is around 350 degrees F...if you're driving at 60mph, a recipe that calls for cooking at 350 for 2 hours would equate to driving 120 miles...

I've known people to throw some beef, potatoes, broth, a seasoning packet, carrots and onions into a foil pouch and end up with a nice sort of stew after a couple hundred miles.

:D

The only thing I have to add is that I've noticed a lot of people complain about leaky foil. The answer for that is Reynolds Hot Bags. They are perfect for this type of thing and are great if you want to make a quick meal in the campfire too.

One don't!

I've tried cooking on the manifold once. DO NOT allow the pot to short out the primary wire on the coil while driving thru the middle of France. Adds a very bad small to the food.
Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom