Cold Transmission Hot transmission (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a big problem. I have an automatic transmission.

It came factory so I woulden't mind if it stays.

I H8 AT's by the way and in the future I will consider a swap allong with other modifications.

stock for now and possably forever, DD (I heart) kinda thing.

94 Toyota 4Runner, 3.0L, V6, 4x4, AT, 4:57's.

I do drive it like a stick and in ECT all the time.

The diagnoses:

Ok, when the trans is cold, sitting over night or long enough to get very cold.

1: the trans squats or "torqe's" while enguaging the gear selector.
squats hard down for reverse
squats hard up for drive

2: has trouble (stalling or locking?) in drive and will not change to 2nd.
Take off, (slightly warm) it revs and feel's like it's floating, as though it's in low4 then you can feel it break loose in the trans, to 1st, and then it shift's into 2nd, shifts sluggish but go's ok from there.

Fully cold it will not shift into 2nd.

3: when warm you can shift D-N-R and visea versa and fell the trans break loose. (stop's squating)

4: when hot, fully op. tempreture no problems sluggish shifts(warm) when broke loose, *while op. temp comes up to full.*
Once at full op. temp NO shift/stall/slip problems.

Transmission does NOT slip or hesitate when hot.

History:

at @ 150-160K I changed fluid to MOBLE-1 syn.

just prior (day's) I had run through some water, (no skid plate) barely enough to tempareraly foul the spark plugs.

just after the water, changed the original fluid, then again after and thought I saw water, come to think of it, becouse I noticed little beads running down the catch can to the drain, but only after most (99%) of the fluid drained, I thought this was just the drippings. :confused:

changed once more and have had this problem since I first changed the fluid.

I believe in quality materials and there benifits.

I believe you gotta pay to play.

I wish to have high quality materials in my high quality Toyota's

Do you think it's the fluid?

It wasen't like a river crossing I just plowed through some water.

I did fill low, then warm to allow the temp of fluid increase.

Last edited:
Ok, when the trans is cold, sitting over night or long enough to get very cold.

1: the trans squats or "torqe's" while enguaging the gear selector.
squats hard down for reverse
squats hard up for drive

Rear brakes arent working, it lurches forward because it is a four(5) link suspension... no give like leaf springs dampen (wrap) a bit

2: has trouble (stalling or locking?) in drive and will not change to 2nd.
Take off, (slightly warm) it revs and feel's like it's floating, as though it's in low4 then you can feel it break loose in the trans, to 1st, and then it shift's into 2nd, shifts sluggish but go's ok from there.

?????????

Fully cold it will not shift into 2nd.

because there is a temeperature that the engine has to reach before allowing it to shift the transmission (for warm up purposes beleive it or not)

3: when warm you can shift D-N-R and visea versa and fell the trans break loose. (stop's squating)

same answer as #1

4: when hot, fully op. tempreture no problems sluggish shifts(warm) when broke loose, *while op. temp comes up to full.*
Once at full op. temp NO shift/stall/slip problems.

Transmission does NOT slip or hesitate when hot.

same answer as #2

History:

at @ 150-160K I changed fluid to MOBLE-1 syn.

just prior (day's) I had run through some water, (no skid plate) barely enough to tempareraly foul the spark plugs.

just after the water, changed the original fluid, then again after and thought I saw water, come to think of it, becouse I noticed little beads running down the catch can to the drain, but only after most (99%) of the fluid drained, I thought this was just the drippings. :confused:

changed once more and have had this problem since I first changed the fluid.

I believe in quality materials and there benifits.

I believe you gotta pay to play.

I wish to have high quality materials in my high quality Toyota's

Do you think it's the fluid?

It wasen't like a river crossing I just plowed through some water.

I did fill low, then warm to allow the temp of fluid increase.

I believe it all has to to with the temperature switch that doesnt allow the tranny to shift when cold to second gear to warm the engine up. (your switch is fine, and doing what it is supposed to)

I bet alot of people wonder why their tranny doesnt shift right away and blame it on being cold..... well that is why (cold) but not because the tranny fluid is cold- because the engine is cold, and by over reving the engine gets warm faster (yeah bad idea) so allow it to warm up to operating temp before getting on the highway *IT DOESNT TAKE THAT LONG TO WARM UP, AND IT WILL SAVE AVER REVING YOUR POOR 3.0)

Before all this,

I could, cold and go. (BUT....I don't) RARELY!

NO PROBLEMS............NONE

Trust me it torqe's.

It does need rear breaks but what were talkin is violent, hard, weird, abnormal.

And it quits when hot and warm.

Last edited:
I believe it all has to to with the temperature switch that doesnt allow the tranny to shift when cold to second gear to warm the engine up. (your switch is fine, and doing what it is supposed to)

Is'ent that for the overdrive?

I bet alot of people wonder why their tranny doesnt shift right away and blame it on being cold..... well that is why (cold) but not because the tranny fluid is cold- because the engine is cold, and by over reving the engine gets warm faster (yeah bad idea) so allow it to warm up to operating temp before getting on the highway *IT DOESNT TAKE THAT LONG TO WARM UP, AND IT WILL SAVE AVER REVING YOUR POOR 3.0)

It will over rev becouse it wont shift period, past red line 6,000+ rpm.
It will not shift.

Last edited:
It will over rev becouse it wont shift period, past red line 6,000 rpm.
It will not shift.

yes it will over rev bacause it doesnt shift.... let it warm up, then it will- if your temp gauge isnt up to the normal operating range it WILL not shift...

it didnt do this before because it was probably summer and it warms up much quicker when the engine is already 80 degrees.

yes it will over rev bacause it doesnt shift.... let it warm up, then it will- if your temp gauge isnt up to the normal operating range it WILL not shift...

it didnt do this before because it was probably summer and it warms up much quicker when the engine is already 80 degrees.

Transmissions are'nt made not to shift when there cold. (EXC.Toy AT OD's)

I've NEVER seen one.............NEVER

Explain the "break","shift","floating", "sliping", like it's got two first gears.

It's like the clutch is'nt locking.

My previous winter's did not include this.

Just when I F'ed with it.

Strainer?

Is there a pressure regulater?

Transmissions are'nt made not to shift when there cold. (EXC.Toy AT OD's)

I've NEVER seen one.............NEVER

Explain the "break","shift","floating", "sliping", like it's got two first gears.

It's like the clutch is'nt locking.

My previous winter's did not include this.

Just when I F'ed with it.

Strainer?

Is there a pressure regulater?

the transmission is electroniclly controled as are most toy autos and yes it will not shift until the engine is warm PERIOD no matter what u do

It will over rev becouse it wont shift period, past red line 6,000+ rpm.
It will not shift.

Weird thing,

Go down the road, warm, will not shift, gas it, it slips then locks, goes on. *Has to be warm enough* to break

Sumetimes, warn, will not shift, go down the road 5-6k rpm, back sudenly off, it lurches fwd and you can feel the trans "break loose" goes on.

Arent there clutches in an AT?

Are they stuck?

Pull the tranny trouble codes. You have to ground the "DG" connection while the key and O/D are both on and it will flash out the codes on the O/D light. The DG connector looks like it comes out of the wiring harness near the AMF in the engine bay, and it's a square looking plug end.... If you get any codes I'll let you know what they mean.

the transmission is electroniclly controled as are most toy autos and yes it will not shift until the engine is warm PERIOD no matter what u do

Yes it is electronicly/temparature controled.........for the OD only!

I have been in other Toy v6 at's 4x's, cold and go, fine just no OD until they get to op temp.

1-2-3 fine, but no 4

And thats stupid for people to do as cold air is going through the radiator and engine bay making it harder to warm up.

Last edited:
*UPDATE*

Last night I jumped in it, warmed it up, but not all the way, started out slow becouse I live very close to the hwy.

Started going, slow, warm, but not all the way, went to break it loose it lunged fwd but did not break.

So I thought I'll put it in 2 then back and fourth to see if I can shake it loose.

Pulled it down in 2, it downshifted into 1

DID NOT PUT SELECTOR IN 1

SELECTOR WAS IN 2

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Could the plate's be sticking?

No, I dont think that would be be tempareture related.

I think it's the clutches in the Torque converter

IF I didn't hate the throws in a V6 5sp trans so much it would be in it now.

Last edited:
when is the last time you changed the fluid and filter:confused: you may have typed that i dont remember.but if not it almost sounds like when cold the fluid is naturally thick and because the filter maybe a little gumped up.then when warm the fluid thins up then of course the filter will allow for it to pass normally.but i could be way off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom