New Addition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

emtee

HAHA...Wait, Wut?
Threads
Hey All,

Picked up a pretty clean '77 a couple weekends ago; it's got some bad cancer in the rear crossmember and the typical spots above the running boards, but otherwise the tub is in pretty good shape. There's a fair amount of sunburn on the hood, but paint elsewhere seems to shine right up with a little elbow grease.

Inside is surprisingly immaculate, only one small tear in the driver's seat vinyl, jump seats don't look like they were ever sat on (although the canvas keeper straps are sun-rotted). The Toyota CB and stock AM radio seem to work just fine. It's got 46K original miles, and what appear to be the original headlights and spare tire.

Compression is good across the board and there aren't any leaks that I can see. It seems a little gutless, but that may be because I'm used to my '75 with JimC carb/header/no emissions.

It does have a piercing whistle that I'm assuming to be a vacuum leak. Someone suggested that the brake booster is a prime culprit, but when I isolated the booster, the whistling continued, albeit somewhat modified. :confused: Anyone have any suggestions on tracking this down? There's a lot of spaghetti draped over the engine, and super-stock as this thing may be, I'm tempted to take a weed-whacker to it all so I can actually see the parts underneath...

Here's a few pics...
IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0683.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG

A few more pics...
IMG_0682.JPG
IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG

And now for the uglies...
IMG_0686.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG
7705.jpg

And it's even got a (very well used) 8274 up front with a pretty clean home-brew bumper. Story on this rig is that it belonged to the PO's wife's grandpa, who bought it to haul firewood (with a trailer) in the woods around southern Oregon.
IMG_0689.JPG

I had an alternator that would make a high pitched whistle, not all the time though. Nice truck BTW.

Wow!

Are you kidding me? Great find!

I can't help in the vac leak, but I can admire that find. Congrats!:flipoff2:

Thanks, 73!

Hmmm...I'll check that out. The belts were loose and I snugged them up at the same time I was isolating the brake booster, so maybe that's what caused the modified tone? Gotta remember to just fix one thing at a time when troubleshooting! :D

Are you kidding me? Great find!

I can't help in the vac leak, but I can admire that find. Congrats!:flipoff2:

Yeah, it was a little rich for the budget, but my wife actually sent me back to the guy with another offer when I walked away thinking I couldn't afford it.

It's not exactly the 'stored-in-a-forgotten-barn-right-after-it-was-driven-off-the-showroom-floor' dream rig, but close enough for me! :grinpimp:

wow....If only I had a template that nice to start off with!

Thanks; I have a funny feeling that it's going to be pretty tough to pick up a drill/welder/torch with this thing. I spent a good hour trying to figure out a way to mount my GPS Ram Mount to the dash without making extra holes. Haven't figured it out yet.

I've got a Tuffy console I've been saving for a rainy day, but now I can't seem to get behind yanking the stock console/CB. What's a guy to do?? I know, I know, you're all heartbroken! :D

here's a pic of the engine compartment. I'm going to need a young priest and an old priest to sort through all that vacuum tubing and gobbledy-gook that's lampreyed itself onto the left side of the engine... :rolleyes:
IMG_0678.JPG

Nice find, Mike. I have one just like it, but the old geezer that owned it all of these years is me. :^(

The OEM smog manual is worth the investment if you are planning to keep all of the spaghetti.

Todd Bull.

Nice find, Mike. I have one just like it, but the old geezer that owned it all of these years is me. :^(

The OEM smog manual is worth the investment if you are planning to keep all of the spaghetti.

Todd Bull.

Todd,

That's on my to-do list; I got the one for my '75 a couple of years ago from Toyota Publishing; wonder how similar the systems are? I'll check that out!

Nice find. That carb looks clean - rebuilt?

Nomis,

Not sure; it does look suspiciously un-cruddy. I'll do some sleuthing when I go through the thing. Hopefully soon!

Great Find!!!

Will I get to see it being driven around Albany any time soon? Wish mine looked near as good. Maybe we will get a chance to meet someday.

Nice lookin rig Mike, take a pair of needle nose and pinch each hose consecutively. That'll isolate the problem, if not, check the carb base gaskets with some WD or starting fluid...and of course the belts as mentioned.

Great Find!!!

Will I get to see it being driven around Albany any time soon? Wish mine looked near as good. Maybe we will get a chance to meet someday.

Handcannon,

What do you drive? I see a LC every once in awhile driving around in that area, but being the antisocial hermit that I am, I don't really know any of the drivers! :D

Nice lookin rig Mike, take a pair of needle nose and pinch each hose consecutively. That'll isolate the problem, if not, check the carb base gaskets with some WD or starting fluid...and of course the belts as mentioned.

Texx,

Thanks; I'll try that as well. I'm driving ol' reliable until I can get that sucking chest wound patched up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom